+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Pain of International students

GARJ

Mar 13, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is near impossible for an international student to get ITA these days. The score is too high and has been high for most of this year. International students were forgotten by the immigration system. I know of thousands who had to leave everything behind because of express entry. I had a skilled job and lived in Canada for years, with perfect English levels. Still, my score was 447. I was stuck with that score for all of 2015. It was psychologically draining. I feel for every international student out there struggling with the immigration system.

My advice to everyone is if you are serious about getting an ITA and you don't have the score, think of all your options that you are capable of doing to achieve a higher score. In my case I went back to school and took some additional classes to complete a second degree. My score was bumped to 477 and I finally got my ITA on April 6th. Unfortunately the required number of points ever since has sky rocketed. Best of luck to everyone in stuck in migratory limbo. Just know that you aren't alone.

Innana

Nov 20, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
03-02-2016
AOR Received.
20-03-2016
Med's Request
Feb 6
Med's Done....
Feb 17
Passport Req..
May 30
VISA ISSUED...
June 13
LANDED..........
July 09
We need more and more refuges. Who needs International students with Canadian work history who have established their lives here and have helped the economy? We have an abundance of benefits in the social services section that we need to get rid of, plus imagine all the panhandling you could create by dumping them at once, with no plans, in the cities and hoping for the best. That’s first class job creation strategy tight there.

moadam

Jun 1, 2016
I'm in the same situation. 2 years experience in Canada on a 3 year pgwp and it's expiring next year and i'm at 466 points.If it expires, i'm leaving. and if the points drop then i'll come back, but that's just the way life is. We are lucky to be in this situation and I'm really tired of seeing all this hate towards refugees. Canada accepted 25,000 refugees. That's nothing! like a drop in the bucket. They didn't choose to be refugees, their country is in the process of being destroyed. I spent 3 years of my youth in Syria in the 1990's and it's a tragedy what's happened there. Just because our situation is hard, it should in no way be compared to that of refugees and I'm sick of seeing all this negativity directed towards them.

Stay positive, plan for alternatives, and don't drag it out. There are other options if i leave and i'm sure it's the same for everyone on here. Your life will continue, you most likely have a country to go back to. I've seen people get stuck in immigration loopholes. years of their lives wasted when they could've gone back to their countries and continued living.

Alexios07

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Innana said:
We need more and more refuges. Who needs International students with Canadian work history who have established their lives here and have helped the economy? We have an abundance of benefits in the social services section that we need to get rid of, plus imagine all the panhandling you could create by dumping them at once, with no plans, in the cities and hoping for the best. That’s first class job creation strategy tight there.
Sorry, but accepting refugees is a hot breaking news and gain more public attention than accepting some economic immigrants.

However, right now, I strongly believe that the Liberals government is shifting their focus on refugees and family reunification back to us former int'l students aka CEC applicants. We will have our answer, hopefully, within September. Keep calm my friends, winter the light is coming.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
Ottawa-applicant said:
Hi,

Actually I'm an international student myself! I had 3 years PGWP and was struggling to find job. Don't just assume that I don't! I wouldn’t have reply just for the sake of it, I went through hell and back to find job. Trust me on this when I say people aren’t looking enough.

You’re right employers don’t really like to give LMIA or go thought the process of doing it, but have you tried recruiting agencies, I personally work for one and was able to re-new my work permit. Actually even on implied status now, so just you know what I had to go through. I had to explain to my employer that I’m legally allowed to continue working. So you can imagine how many closed doors I had to knock before one open up!

Still doesn’t mean there are others who didn’t find anything or unlucky but they should haven’t take No for an answer!
We have jobs ...finding a job is not an issue. Finding a job that is supported by LMIA is the issue. Cannot renew work permit unless have LMIA.
If u knew all this I fail to understand ur comments "If you work permit expiring soon, why didn’t you renew it? " implied status is just prolonging the end not a solution. Work permit is expiring and once implied status ends what next?

rebelhero

Star Member
Jun 12, 2016
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
06-11-2016
Med's Done....
28-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
03-01-2017
LANDED..........
21-01-2017
Hi Guys,

I am not a CEC applicant but I have one question in mind. Isn't there any chance for you all if you all go through PNP route? You guys have Canadian degrees and skilled 0/A/B job and this should make you all eligible for PNP at whichever province you are residing.

I just want to know how hard the PNP is for CEC applicants because it's more difficult for FSW applicants. So this can give you all an edge over others.

Once again, I am not an international student in Canada and nor a CEC application but just sharing my thoughts and trying to understand how tough the PNP has become even for international students.

And good luck to you all. Hope you all get PR soon.

Ioftenyell

Jun 29, 2016
Ottawa-applicant said:
Hi,

I totally understand you’re frustrating, but that doesn’t mean you can’t do anything about it.
If you work permit expiring soon, why didn’t you renew it? I know finding a job is hard, but try everything. Even if not in your field at least it will buy you some time until you get your new work permit. Don’t just focus on your school or degree and leave work away which results in losing your status!

Also rules are the rules and they exist for a reason, don’t blame the system for your lack of planning! It could be unfair to face such situation I agree but you knew it and decide to over stay. Now I’m not criticizing or judging anyone I’m simply stating facts that could have be avoided if proper planning has been followed.

Good luck to all of us,
What are you taking about? There is no way to extend a PGWP without being invited for PR.

intensecool

Jan 29, 2014
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have 1 QUESTION FOR ALL OF YOU -

Let's say International students who did education from Canada get 50 points or whatever.

What will students like us who did education in Canada, had their work permits expired and had to return back, will we get additional points or not.

Or is it only for the students who are currently inside Canada ?

Coz if it is i am surely going to write down to handsome prime minister.

GARJ

Mar 13, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
intensecool said:
I have 1 QUESTION FOR ALL OF YOU -

Let's say International students who did education from Canada get 50 points or whatever.

What will students like us who did education in Canada, had their work permits expired and had to return back, will we get additional points or not.

Or is it only for the students who are currently inside Canada ?

Coz if it is i am surely going to write down to handsome prime minister.
That's hard to say, but I'm sure that anyone with Canadian education would get points. Not just people within Canada.

cococly

Aug 3, 2015
Category........
PNP
Doc's Request.
28-FEB-2017
Nomination.....
07-DEC-2016
AOR Received.
18-JAN-2017
Med's Done....
24-DEC-2016
Passport Req..
06-JUN-2017
VISA ISSUED...
20-JUN-2017
LANDED..........
00-JUL-2017
Ioftenyell said:
What are you taking about? There is no way to extend a PGWP without being invited for PR.
There is, and my friend who was an international student did it. His employer helped him get a non-open work permit after his PGWP expired.

Yes, non-open work permit, meaning if he looses his job , he cannot openly apply for other jobs.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
cococly said:
There is, and my friend who was an international student did it. His employer helped him get a non-open work permit after his PGWP expired.

Yes, non-open work permit, meaning if he looses his job , he cannot openly apply for other jobs.
thats not extending PGWP its getting a closed work permit based on LMIA there is no other way

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mead said:
thats not extending PGWP its getting a closed work permit based on LMIA there is no other way
What everyone trying to say” it’s not easy it’s hard and difficult” but rather than we complain why not keep on looking! By all mean it’s unfair to international student what happen especially when you see Canada welcome all the refuges! But these are people whose life at danger! Now don’t get me wrong, that doesn’t justify the international student to be left behind or neglected!

And so we all can understand PR is a Privilege!

So if someone don’t qualify for PR or invitation, doesn’t mean the whole world is unfair to that person! Now yes its misfortune if such thing happen, but there always second chance, we can’t lose hope, it’s the only factor international student actually came to Canada for! Isn’t?

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
Ottawa-applicant said:
What everyone trying to say” it’s not easy it’s hard and difficult” but rather than we complain why not keep on looking! By all mean it’s unfair to international student what happen especially when you see Canada welcome all the refuges! But these are people whose life at danger! Now don’t get me wrong, that doesn’t justify the international student to be left behind or neglected!

And so we all can understand PR is a Privilege!

So if someone don’t qualify for PR or invitation, doesn’t mean the whole world is unfair to that person! Now yes its misfortune if such thing happen, but there always second chance, we can’t lose hope, it’s the only factor international student actually came to Canada for! Isn’t?
and what I am trying to say is we r not doing nothing we r looking for employer who would sponsor LMIA but we want to clear misconceptions in non international student EE pool people that we dont have a whole lot of options and life is not easy for us. I dont say refugees should not be given preference they should be but not at the cost of economic immigrants. so keep them separate. The reason international students r frustrated is they have invested money and 3+ years of their lives in Canada and now are stuck or have to find loop holes rather than a clear path forward. The system of getting qualified is flawed thats what is the problem. U can see this from the 2015 yearly report. uneven balance in professions. So even though we r still keeping the faith we r also complaining to share our pain and struggle.

raven00090

Oct 27, 2013
Mumbai, India
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-01-2017
AOR Received.
27-01-2017
Passport Req..
16-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
21-06-2017
What everyone trying to say” it’s not easy it’s hard and difficult” but rather than we complain why not keep on looking!
Just because it worked out for you doesn't mean it has or it will for others. Many have already tried and failed here and some cannot due to their employers not being onboard with it. And they are in situations where they can't even search for other jobs and get someone else to do an LMIA because time is not on their side. Not so cut and dry.

cococly

Aug 3, 2015
Category........
PNP
Doc's Request.
28-FEB-2017
Nomination.....
07-DEC-2016
AOR Received.
18-JAN-2017
Med's Done....
24-DEC-2016
Passport Req..
06-JUN-2017
VISA ISSUED...
20-JUN-2017
LANDED..........
00-JUL-2017
I have studied and worked in Canada for 9 years. I understand all your feelings.

I had to leave Canada and return to my home country after my PGWP expired (Recession hit Alberta) :'(

But hey, I am not giving up hope yet. I am applying as a FSW.

To be honest, it's really very difficult for a newly graduated international student to secure a skilled-work occupation , worked in that for at least 1 year, and then start applying for PNP/ EE, and getting approved for PR, he/she has to do ALL these within 3 years with the PGWP. It's not impossible, but it's fairly difficult.