LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 2015
rhcohen2014 said:
you do not need receipts or proof of purchase for jewelry. When I declared my jewelry on my B4 for landing all i wrote was "1 bag of jewelry" and assigned a value for the whole lot. if you have valuable jewelry that is insured and appraised, then you would want to write that separately. if you are wearing your wedding jewelry, you don't need to declare it either. the officers are not going to go through every item and expect you to prove you bought everything or show receipts of purchase. I doubt they will even look in the bags/boxes you bring in.
Ahan thanks a lot for detailed and complete reply. We Asians wear heavy jewelry on wedding so cant wear it in usual life except the wedding functions etc. Your replies are always so helpful and correct. Thank you so much again. What is the B4 and where can we get it from? I assume that we need to fill it and keep with us before getting into airport right?

AMJ said:
But I'd thought as a New PR you can drive with an International Driving License for 3 months.
mrashid123 said:
When my wife landed in March 2014... the customs officer did not ask her for anything.... I had her prepare that B4 form n take pics of her jewellery etc... but she wasn't asked to present any of that.... all she was asked was a couple of questions for the PR card application.... which the officer fills out at the time of landing.... as long as u r travelling with less $10000 worth of jewellery n cash u don't need to declare anything....

As for shipping a car from middle east.... definitely not a good idea as it will become more of a headache.... u will also have to pay to have the car winterized for driving conditions in Ontario (things like daytime running lights, windshield heating, etc)..... a car is a significant expense in Canada due to insurance rates n I would imagine insurance rates for ppl from newcomers would b high.... before u even get into all this u would need a driver's license which is another process in itself.... u would have to essentially start from scratch unless u have a driver's license from Europe or US... u will not b able to drive right away so plan on using public transit for the most part.... I would advise to stay in a big city where access to public transit is easy
WHY IT TAKES 3 MONTHS ??? :eek:

MysticMidnight said:
My favorite thing to reference is actually a Welcome to Canada book thing.

They have both an e-book and a pdf version of it. It has everything and more you'd want/need to know and stuff you likely already know, but it's a great reference and I've read/skimmed through it a few times now

It can be found here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/welcome/index.asp
Thank you it will definitely help a lot, real life experiences of people here will also add much info.

mrashid123 said:
Yes.... that's true.... but 3 months is not long enough to get a full driver's license in Ontario... it can take up to 3 years.... u start off with G1 then go up to G2 after 1 year n finally G after another year... unless u have a license from back home n u've had it for more than a year... in this case u can get an exception to the one year wait between G1 and G2.... while u have G1.... u cannot drive by ur self n must b accompanied by a fully licensed G driver with atleast 5 years of driving experience....

Honestly.... driving a car back home is easy.... u just have to have enough money to buy the car.... In Canada that's not the case at all.... its very expensive to own and operate a car
My husband never told me so, he always says it is much easier to buy and drive a car in CA than Pakistan, he is even looking for a car for me as well.

mrashid123 said:
Yes.... that's true.... but 3 months is not long enough to get a full driver's license in Ontario... it can take up to 3 years.... u start off with G1 then go up to G2 after 1 year n finally G after another year... unless u have a license from back home n u've had it for more than a year... in this case u can get an exception to the one year wait between G1 and G2.... while u have G1.... u cannot drive by ur self n must b accompanied by a fully licensed G driver with atleast 5 years of driving experience....

Honestly.... driving a car back home is easy.... u just have to have enough money to buy the car.... In Canada that's not the case at all.... its very expensive to own and operate a car
We can have International license only when we have visa with us in Pakistan right, so if I land there wth international license and pass the test; would I still need to wait and wont be able to drive :eek: why CA is tooooo hard to live :(

mrashid123

Nov 8, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC-Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-03-2012
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
27-06-2012
File Transfer...
~ July 2013 (after receiving my Originals)
Med's Request
20-11-2013
Med's Done....
28-11-2013
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
21-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2014!!! (Soo relieved!! Alhamd!!)
LANDED..........
14-03-2014!! (Happiest day of my life!! :):)
Your husband probably meant that its not hard to drive in CA cuz all the cars are automatic... very few stick shift cars here.... he probably forgot to mention how difficult it can b when driving in winters.... with snow n ice on the roads.... ppl typically buy snow tires (tires with deeper tread meant for snow) for their cars in the winters.... which is another expense of $2000+ (PKR 20000) for 4 winter tires not to mention u have to pay extra (~$60) to have them installed...

In Pakistan as long as u have 5-10 lac (PKR 500 000 - PKR 1 000 000) rupees in ur bank account u can buy n drive a decent car.... u don't even need to get it registered or n e thing except for license plates.... u don't even need insurance!.... n maintenance is dirt cheap...

In Canada completely different ball game.... not only do u need $10000-$20000 (PKR 1 000 000 - PKR 2 000 000) to buy urself a decent USED car.... u also need to buy insurance n pay monthly premiums for as long as u own it (every car has a different premium based on ur age, driving record, etc).... n ur husband probably also doesn't know that his insurance will go up when he adds u as a driver on his insurance.... when it comes to insurance it is illegal to drive a car in Canada without insurance.... maintenance is very very expensive in Canada.... just labour charges for the mechanics are as high as $90/ hour (PKR 9000/ ghanta)... parts r on top of this.... not only that there is a yearly license plate renewal u have to pay which is like $75..... not to mention gas which is the highest its ever been at like $1.30/ litre (PKR 130/litre).... so as u can see... its very difficult to own n drive a car in Canada

mrashid123

Nov 8, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC-Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-03-2012
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
27-06-2012
File Transfer...
Med's Request
20-11-2013
Med's Done....
28-11-2013
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
21-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
My wife brought all her wedding jewellery n she also had a completed B4 form with pics of all her jewellery n all the receipts for all her jewellery but the customs officer didn't ask to see n e of it... as long as its all under $10000 they don't care... maybe it had something to do with the fact that my dad was with her

mrashid123

Nov 8, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC-Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-03-2012
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
27-06-2012
File Transfer...
Med's Request
20-11-2013
Med's Done....
28-11-2013
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
21-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
My wife had her driver's license from Islamabad n it was over 1 year old.... u can write the G1 test (written only) n e time after u land.... they will ask for ur PR card so u may wanna wait until ur card arrives.... but all the Pakistani license is good for is that after u get G1 u don't have to wait 12 months to go for ur G2 road test.... u can do it n e time after getting ur G1.... normally u would have to take lessons during the 12 months n then appear for G2 road test... but the condition of G1 is u need a fully licensed (G) driver with atleast 5 years of experience which i'm sure ur husband has so that won't be an issue.... I would still recommend u take lessons when u arrive cuz there are a lot of rules n regulations that u have to follow while driving in Canada n that's wut they test when u give G2 road test.... this is not the case in Pakistan where u make up ur own rules when u drive.... case in point... in Pakistan there is no concept of a lane (most roads don't even have marked lanes) so u can drive n e where.... in Canada every single road.... even in rural unpopulated areas.... will be clearly marked with lanes n u HAVE to drive within ur lane... there's a big fine for not driving inside ur lane at all times.... I mention this cuz ppl that are used to driving in Pak have a hard time keeping the car inside the lane...

handsup

Champion Member
Sep 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 2015
mrashid123 said:
Your husband probably meant that its not hard to drive in CA cuz all the cars are automatic... very few stick shift cars here.... he probably forgot to mention how difficult it can b when driving in winters.... with snow n ice on the roads.... ppl typically buy snow tires (tires with deeper tread meant for snow) for their cars in the winters.... which is another expense of $2000+ (PKR 20000) for 4 winter tires not to mention u have to pay extra (~$60) to have them installed...

In Pakistan as long as u have 5-10 lac (PKR 500 000 - PKR 1 000 000) rupees in ur bank account u can buy n drive a decent car.... u don't even need to get it registered or n e thing except for license plates.... u don't even need insurance!.... n maintenance is dirt cheap...

In Canada completely different ball game.... not only do u need $10000-$20000 (PKR 1 000 000 - PKR 2 000 000) to buy urself a decent USED car.... u also need to buy insurance n pay monthly premiums for as long as u own it (every car has a different premium based on ur age, driving record, etc).... n ur husband probably also doesn't know that his insurance will go up when he adds u as a driver on his insurance.... when it comes to insurance it is illegal to drive a car in Canada without insurance.... maintenance is very very expensive in Canada.... just labour charges for the mechanics are as high as $90/ hour (PKR 9000/ ghanta)... parts r on top of this.... not only that there is a yearly license plate renewal u have to pay which is like $75..... not to mention gas which is the highest its ever been at like $1.30/ litre (PKR 130/litre).... so as u can see... its very difficult to own n drive a car in Canada
Thank you for your reply.
lolxxx he knows and shared everything he is doing in CA in order to live a very good life, as he is there since 2001. We do pay Insurance here too in PK so it was not a shock for me. We both have paid insurance here too for our cars and even his bikes too. Since he had interest in Mechanics so he fixes most of the issues without going to any car workshops until that is a ver higher level or complex and needs computer system to detect the core issue in the car, even now I know to fix smaller issues in a car ;) Thanks to him.
Also he told about winter tyre changes and said it costs 100$ to change them each year and is too much hard to drive cz of snow and slippery roads. Even he told that you have to keep your car started 15 min before you travel so that you may sit in cause of temperature outside

handsup

Champion Member
Sep 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 2015
mrashid123 said:
My wife had her driver's license from Islamabad n it was over 1 year old.... u can write the G1 test (written only) n e time after u land.... they will ask for ur PR card so u may wanna wait until ur card arrives.... but all the Pakistani license is good for is that after u get G1 u don't have to wait 12 months to go for ur G2 road test.... u can do it n e time after getting ur G1.... normally u would have to take lessons during the 12 months n then appear for G2 road test... but the condition of G1 is u need a fully licensed (G) driver with atleast 5 years of experience which i'm sure ur husband has so that won't be an issue.... I would still recommend u take lessons when u arrive cuz there are a lot of rules n regulations that u have to follow while driving in Canada n that's wut they test when u give G2 road test.... this is not the case in Pakistan where u make up ur own rules when u drive.... case in point... in Pakistan there is no concept of a lane (most roads don't even have marked lanes) so u can drive n e where.... in Canada every single road.... even in rural unpopulated areas.... will be clearly marked with lanes n u HAVE to drive within ur lane... there's a big fine for not driving inside ur lane at all times.... I mention this cuz ppl that are used to driving in Pak have a hard time keeping the car inside the lane...
Hmm yeah to an extent I know about the line and lane rule needs to be followed there srtictly, and I ve stared practicing it since a year. I read sign boards and follow the speed limit even if I am driving at night when there is lesser rush and people even break the signals. But still I agree with you it is hard to accept the change an live in a totally different place and also it would take time to be in the environment.
Okay so what is the bottom line for my driving? Would I be able to drive in 2 months after landing there or not? Provided I ve read that rule guide and do not do any mistake during exam!?

mrashid123 said:
My wife brought all her wedding jewellery n she also had a completed B4 form with pics of all her jewellery n all the receipts for all her jewellery but the customs officer didn't ask to see n e of it... as long as its all under $10000 they don't care... maybe it had something to do with the fact that my dad was with her
Wow that's great. what questions was she asked? May be they are lenient to females.
Okay so I assume that one person can carry max of 10k CAD right, what is my husband comes to pick us me n my baby, will we be able to take more with us? like jewelry costs too much and then if you have cash and lump sum crosses the value, would it be possible that we divide it into 2 packets and each keeps one?

mrashid123

Nov 8, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC-Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-03-2012
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
27-06-2012
File Transfer...
Med's Request
20-11-2013
Med's Done....
28-11-2013
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
21-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I just read somewhere that ure moving to Vancouver so I'm not sure wut the rules r like in BC but in Ontario they have graduated licensing.... so u start off with G1 which is written.... then u do ur G2 road test.... then u do road test for G... after that ure fully licensed.... not sure how it all works in BC.... but it must b a lot easier than Ontario... all the best with that!

The customs officer didn't ask my wife much.... all he asked her were questions to confirm some info for her PR card application.... he asked her her mother's maiden name.... n he confirmed her name n date of birth (DOB was wrong on the COPR... which is a different issue)... but other than that he didn't ask her n e thing at all....

For ur jewellery... i'm sure it won't be more than $10000.... ur husband coming to pick u up has nothing to do with this limit.... if u have more than $10000 u'll just have to declare it at customs by filling out the declaration card that they give u in the plane or on the B4 form.... not exactly sure how the process works for declaring more than $10000...

handsup

Champion Member
Sep 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 2015
mrashid123 said:
I just read somewhere that ure moving to Vancouver so I'm not sure wut the rules r like in BC but in Ontario they have graduated licensing.... so u start off with G1 which is written.... then u do ur G2 road test.... then u do road test for G... after that ure fully licensed.... not sure how it all works in BC.... but it must b a lot easier than Ontario... all the best with that!

The customs officer didn't ask my wife much.... all he asked her were questions to confirm some info for her PR card application.... he asked her her mother's maiden name.... n he confirmed her name n date of birth (DOB was wrong on the COPR... which is a different issue)... but other than that he didn't ask her n e thing at all....

For ur jewellery... i'm sure it won't be more than $10000.... ur husband coming to pick u up has nothing to do with this limit.... if u have more than $10000 u'll just have to declare it at customs by filling out the declaration card that they give u in the plane or on the B4 form.... not exactly sure how the process works for declaring more than $10000...
Hmmmm okayyy... thank you so much for the real help. You have cleared so many things with your own real and run time experiences.
May I ask you what do you do I mean what is your profession?

mrashid123

Nov 8, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC-Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-03-2012
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
27-06-2012
File Transfer...
Med's Request
20-11-2013
Med's Done....
28-11-2013
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
21-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
handsup said:
Hmmmm okayyy... thank you so much for the real help. You have cleared so many things with your own real and run time experiences.
May I ask you what do you do I mean what is your profession?
I'm an Engineer :D :D

how bout u?

handsup

Champion Member
Sep 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 2015

Aashi

Oct 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2013
File Transfer...
June 2014
Med's Request
Oct 2014
Med's Done....
Oct 2014
Passport Req..
Dec 2014
VISA ISSUED...
jan 2015 Alhamdulilah

handsup

Champion Member
Sep 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 2015

Aashi

Oct 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2013
File Transfer...
June 2014
Med's Request
Oct 2014
Med's Done....
Oct 2014
Passport Req..
Dec 2014
VISA ISSUED...
jan 2015 Alhamdulilah
handsup said:
hahhaahh welcome back with PPR status :)
thanks much hands up .. U created a really useful link

handsup

Champion Member
Sep 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 2013
VISA ISSUED...