+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PA/Sponsor Both Outland. Can PA Come to Canada after Bio/Medicals Finished?

Bagofnails

Star Member
Jun 25, 2019
Hi everyone,

I did have a look for this question but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Quick back story, the Mrs and I are in Australia and have applied recently. I understand she needs to do her medical/bio in Australia, but once those are complete could she potentially get an ETA to visit (and stay in) Canada while the rest of the process is carried out? This way we can head back together, I can at least start working and we can get things going?

I'm not counting on it, but any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Jnicole45

Jul 28, 2019
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-05-2019
AOR Received.
24-07-2019
You can try. It's possible that she'll be allowed to enter with dual intent (wanting to stay as a visitor while waiting on a PR decision), but they'll want to know that she will leave at the end of her visit (so proof of ties to her home country, like proof that she has a place to live in Aus, family obligations, a return ticket, etc.) And that she has enough funds to support her time in Canada (or that you are able to support both of you since she won't be able to work)

Best you can do is be prepared, be super honest with CBSA if/when you do try to enter, and keep your hopes neutral because there's a chance she could be turned away at the border.

Reactions: Bagofnails

Bagofnails

Star Member
Jun 25, 2019
You can try. It's possible that she'll be allowed to enter with dual intent (wanting to stay as a visitor while waiting on a PR decision), but they'll want to know that she will leave at the end of her visit (so proof of ties to her home country, like proof that she has a place to live in Aus, family obligations, a return ticket, etc.) And that she has enough funds to support her time in Canada (or that you are able to support both of you since she won't be able to work)

Best you can do is be prepared, be super honest with CBSA if/when you do try to enter, and keep your hopes neutral because there's a chance she could be turned away at the border.
Hey! Thanks for the reply.

It looks like we would need an ETA which is valid for up to six months of visiting at one time. That's great, but like you said we will have to prove that she will return to Australia once those six months pass. I don't think that is in our favor as we would be selling basically everything we own here and currently we reside with family.

Funds I'm not concerned about, we have a detailed budget (which we sent in with our application) and a healthy savings account. It's just proof of intent to return to Australia after the stay on her ETA is up,

Thanks for the info, if it comes down to it, perhaps we will look into it a little more and decide. For now, probably just wait it out here.

Thank you!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone,

I did have a look for this question but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Quick back story, the Mrs and I are in Australia and have applied recently. I understand she needs to do her medical/bio in Australia, but once those are complete could she potentially get an ETA to visit (and stay in) Canada while the rest of the process is carried out? This way we can head back together, I can at least start working and we can get things going?

I'm not counting on it, but any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
The medical can actually be done in Canada. Biometrics must still be done outside of Canada.

Yes, she can easily get an eTA and come to Canada as a visitor while the app is processing. As long as she doesn't have more than the normal couple of bags and doesn't say she is moving to Canada, she should be fine. She is entering as a visitor to visit her spouse while the PR app processes. If CBSA doesn't ask, you don't need to tell. If they ask, you tell.

Hey! Thanks for the reply.

It looks like we would need an ETA which is valid for up to six months of visiting at one time. That's great, but like you said we will have to prove that she will return to Australia once those six months pass. I don't think that is in our favor as we would be selling basically everything we own here and currently we reside with family.

Funds I'm not concerned about, we have a detailed budget (which we sent in with our application) and a healthy savings account. It's just proof of intent to return to Australia after the stay on her ETA is up,

Thanks for the info, if it comes down to it, perhaps we will look into it a little more and decide. For now, probably just wait it out here.

Thank you!
An eTA is a travel authorization. It will allow her to board the plane to travel to Canada. CBSA grants status upon entry.

With a spousal sponsorship app in process, CBSA is not going to really care about her ties to Australia. They are very lenient with those in the midst of sponsorship apps, as they have shown that they are following the proper procedure to legally live in Canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Extremely low chance of a person in the middle of a spousal sponsorship app being refused entry. It is a very common situation.

Bagofnails

Star Member
Jun 25, 2019
Extremely low chance of a person in the middle of a spousal sponsorship app being refused entry. It is a very common situation.
This is very refreshing to hear. Both the medical and low chance of denial.

It's nice to have options in our back pocket though, so perhaps once my wife has given her biometrics we can both hop a plane and come back home. :)

Jnicole45

Jul 28, 2019
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-05-2019
AOR Received.
24-07-2019
While I won't tell you you'll 100% be fine, canuck is right that it's pretty darn likely you'll be fine.

I've been in Canada since January with my husband (sponsor), and have traveled back and forth to my parents home in the US multiple times, even since submitting our application. At the border, they recommended multiple times that I get a visitor record so I can stay longer, and they've asked if I have somewhere to stay in the US were I to be denied entry (yes, I always have a bed open at my parents house), but that's the furthest any of their lines of questioning really go. Totally not a big deal and I'm sure you'll be fine. I've seen other folks say they told CBSA that they plan to buy their return ticket closer to the end of their stay when they know what timing is better for them and that seems to satisfy the agent.

They're really not looking to deny people who are being honest and upfront about their situation, especially when it would cause family separation

Bagofnails

Star Member
Jun 25, 2019
While I won't tell you you'll 100% be fine, canuck is right that it's pretty darn likely you'll be fine.

I've been in Canada since January with my husband (sponsor), and have traveled back and forth to my parents home in the US multiple times, even since submitting our application. At the border, they recommended multiple times that I get a visitor record so I can stay longer, and they've asked if I have somewhere to stay in the US were I to be denied entry (yes, I always have a bed open at my parents house), but that's the furthest any of their lines of questioning really go. Totally not a big deal and I'm sure you'll be fine. I've seen other folks say they told CBSA that they plan to buy their return ticket closer to the end of their stay when they know what timing is better for them and that seems to satisfy the agent.

They're really not looking to deny people who are being honest and upfront about their situation, especially when it would cause family separation
It's just nice to know that we have options. We are dying to get back and once we are further into the process it helps to know we can potentially come back together.

Thanks to both of you for your advice and information, greatly appreciated!

Reactions: Jnicole45