+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

P.Eng APEGA (Professional Engineers of Alberta) review timeline

Abuadimma

Mar 21, 2023
Hello guys, I just wanted to leave my EIT Application Timeline for 2023
- APEGA application submitted on -18th January 2023
Note:
(My Bachelors degree was sent from my home country, hence it took quite some time before it was received and verified by WES)
- Academic documents sent from WES and UofA were received and accepted on - 9th March 2023
- Application in review stage (first internal review) started on 9th March 2023 & was completed on 23rd March 2023
- Academic review started on 23rd March 2023 & was completed on 29th March 2023
- Case to Board started on 29th March 2023 (In progress)

Reactions: sls and sam198790

roberto_gm

Oct 7, 2019
Hi everyone

Currently I'm an EIT and today I submitted my application for P. Eng. It says that's on queue, and I wanted to ask anyone how the timeline currently looks like.

Thanks in advace for your help

Sahussain

Jun 11, 2015
Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
I have submitted my application for EIT last week and submitted my academic documents, it seems to be in the queue for a coordinator assignment. I just need one quick confirmation that one needs to pass the NPPE exam to attain the EIT status?

roberto_gm

Oct 7, 2019
I have submitted my application for EIT last week and submitted my academic documents, it seems to be in the queue for a coordinator assignment. I just need one quick confirmation that one needs to pass the NPPE exam to attain the EIT status?
You dont need the NPPE, that's required when you applied for the P. Eng. In your case, same as mine, you'll need to past the FE exam but wait for the board resolution (letter); otherwise, you can't schedule it before.

adellina-123

Apr 11, 2023
You dont need the NPPE, that's required when you applied for the P. Eng. In your case, same as mine, you'll need to past the FE exam but wait for the board resolution (letter); otherwise, you can't schedule it before.
is the FE exam required in Canada? I thought that is only required in the US

Ed Doetzel

Star Member
Nov 9, 2022
Calgary
Also applies in Canada
This is not true for every province in Canada and it is important to note the FE exam is used very differently in Canada than in the USA.

A number of provinces use the FE exam as a substitute for the technical exam program. This started over 10 years ago now with APEGA using the FE exam as a substitute for a number of technical exams. Some other Provinces have adopted this policy.

If you are a graduate of a CEAB or ABET or other Washington Accord recognized institution, then you do not have to write the FE exam regardless of the province where you are registered.

Further, the FE exam is not an option in some provinces. Ontario only allows the PEO/National technical examinations. APEGM appears to now not allow the FE exam or technical examinations. They expect you to enter the bridging program at the University of Manitoba if you do not have a CEAB level accreditation of your degree.

Here are two articles that are relevant:

https://techexam.ca/2022/12/how-to-choose-the-province-where-you-should-qualify-as-a-professional-engineer-for-technical-exams

https://techexam.ca/2022/11/what-you-should-know-about-the-fundamentals-of-engineering-exam-fe-exam

Note that some persons apply to write the PE exam in Canada - often for accreditation as a Civil Structures engineer. I don't know much about this application but I would imagine if you want to write the PE exam you likely first have to write the FE exam.

Abuadimma

Mar 21, 2023
Hello guys, I just wanted to leave my EIT Application Timeline for 2023
Note:
(My Bachelors degree was sent from my home country, hence it took quite some time before it was received and verified by WES)
- Academic documents sent from WES and UofA were received and accepted on - 9th March 2023
- Application in review stage (first internal review) started on 9th March 2023 & was completed on 23rd March 2023
- Case to Board started on 29th March 2023 (In progress)
Hello guys, I Just wanted to give a quick update. I have finally been awarded my EIT designation from APEGA. Please find below my updated timeline.
Note:
- Case to Board started on 29th March 2023 & was completed on the 25th April 2023
- EIT Designation awarded on 25th April 2023

Reactions: sam198790

sophiamarie

Jan 21, 2021
Hello guys, I Just wanted to give a quick update. I have finally been awarded my EIT designation from APEGA. Please find below my updated timeline.
Note:
- Case to Board started on 29th March 2023 & was completed on the 25th April 2023
- EIT Designation awarded on 25th April 2023
Hi,
Did you take post graduate at UofA?
Based on what I read, they usually require an FE exam for IET applicants with Bachelors degree from outside Canada.

Jethrovich

May 15, 2023
Hello,
I currently have an application with PEO, but I have been asked to write 3 technical exams. I have more than 5 years of international experience, and I have also gathered 12 months of experience in Canada. I have not written the technical exams yet because I am in a Master's program. My bachelor's degree is in Mechanical Engineering from Nigeria and I should round up my Master's degree in Engineering Management at the University of Windsor in August 2023.

I moved provinces and I wish to apply to APEGA because I believe that since APEGA accepts WES ICAP reports, they might accept my graduate degree from Nigeria. I am not too sure if that is the case or if I would be asked to write another technical exam with APEGA. My question is, would you advise me to apply to APEGA, or do I go and write my Technical Exams with my PEO? Also, would it be beneficial to wait until I complete my Mater's degree before applying?

Ed Doetzel

Star Member
Nov 9, 2022
Calgary
Hello,
I currently have an application with PEO, but I have been asked to write 3 technical exams. I have more than 5 years of international experience, and I have also gathered 12 months of experience in Canada. I have not written the technical exams yet because I am in a Master's program. My bachelor's degree is in Mechanical Engineering from Nigeria and I should round up my Master's degree in Engineering Management at the University of Windsor in August 2023.

I moved provinces and I wish to apply to APEGA because I believe that since APEGA accepts WES ICAP reports, they might accept my graduate degree from Nigeria. I am not too sure if that is the case or if I would be asked to write another technical exam with APEGA. My question is, would you advise me to apply to APEGA, or do I go and write my Technical Exams with my PEO? Also, would it be beneficial to wait until I complete my Mater's degree before applying?
Because of interprovincial transfer rules, it does not matter where you apply. You can always transfer as a P. Eng.

https://techexam.ca/2022/12/how-to-choose-the-province-where-you-should-qualify-as-a-professional-engineer-for-technical-exams

You likely will get a similar result with APEGA. Your education is assessed against the CEAB accredited undergraduate curriculum. Three exams is a very minimal assessment. The only way you would likely get less is if your undegrad was accredited under the Washington Accord. A "confirmatory" examination program is intended to be a quality assurance check. So they are not saying you are lacking in education.

Your second Masters in Engineering Management likely will be of no benefit to your P.Eng. application given you have ample professional experience. Perhaps you would be able to knock off a complimentary studies exam as that's where management falls.

However, APEGA will let give you the option to write the FE exam in place of technical exams. The FE exam is not a hard exam. So that is an advantage that APEGA has.

https://techexam.ca/2022/11/what-you-should-know-about-the-fundamentals-of-engineering-exam-fe-exam

I realize that being assigned technical examinations for topics you have already studied in the past may seem fundamentally unfair. I've been there. But the best thing to do is forget fairness and simply write the exams. The exams are just typical three hour engineering exams. The hard part is accepting you need to do them. The best revenge is knocking them out.

Jethrovich

May 15, 2023
Because of interprovincial transfer rules, it does not matter where you apply. You can always transfer as a P. Eng.

You likely will get a similar result with APEGA. Your education is assessed against the CEAB accredited undergraduate curriculum. Three exams is a very minimal assessment. The only way you would likely get less is if your undegrad was accredited under the Washington Accord. A "confirmatory" examination program is intended to be a quality assurance check. So they are not saying you are lacking in education.

Your second Masters in Engineering Management likely will be of no benefit to your P.Eng. application given you have ample professional experience. Perhaps you would be able to knock off a complimentary studies exam as that's where management falls.

However, APEGA will let give you the option to write the FE exam in place of technical exams. The FE exam is not a hard exam. So that is an advantage that APEGA has.

I realize that being assigned technical examinations for topics you have already studied in the past may seem fundamentally unfair. I've been there. But the best thing to do is forget fairness and simply write the exams. The exams are just typical three hour engineering exams. The hard part is accepting you need to do them. The best revenge is knocking them out.
Thanks for the detailed response. Nigerian universities don't seem to be a part of the Washington Accord.
So If I apply to APEGA, and I was asked to write an exam, I could be writing one FE exam rather than the current 3 exams PEO has asked me to write.

Aswin Kumar

Mar 18, 2020
Hi,
I am a Drilling Engineer with 7 years of international experience. I have a Bachelor's degree in Petroleum & Offshore Engineering from India, plus another Msc degree in Oil and Gas Engineering from UK. I applied for EIT instead of P.Eng so I can work for a year in Alberta as an Engineer.

Will I be asked to write FE exam?

Ed Doetzel

Star Member
Nov 9, 2022
Calgary
Hi,
I am a Drilling Engineer with 7 years of international experience. I have a Bachelor's degree in Petroleum & Offshore Engineering from India, plus another Msc degree in Oil and Gas Engineering from UK. I applied for EIT instead of P.Eng so I can work for a year in Alberta as an Engineer.

Will I be asked to write FE exam?
Maybe.

Apply to find out.