+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OWP Holder Can't leave Philippines without OEC which they won't issue

niftyg

Oct 19, 2022
HI everyone, this post mostly is targeted at Filipinos who might provide some insight..

My girlfriend left Canada from Singapore several years ago for work. She has worked in Canada for several years, is in the last stages of her TR to PR application, has an open work permit and a multiple entry visa. She had to go back to Philippines for a funeral, but it has been several months and she hasn't been allowed to leave back to Canada. She was held up at the airport and told she needs an OEC to leave. She showed them these, as many people have said they were allowed to leave without an OEC and an OWP after providing them https://www.gatewaytocanada.com/2020/12/poea-advisory-re-open-work-permits.html - they brought her to POEA office and said these aren't valid, but they are an officially advisory on DMW site. She spoke to POEA office and they said same thing. Everyone on forums she talked to said people get out all the time using these.

The issue is, all of the requirements for OEC she doesn't meet. Recruiters won't touch her because they say she has an open work permit already, she can't apply with her current job because she is considered a direct hire. They insist on an LMIA but Canada won't issue one because she has an open work permit. They insist on a contract but she doesn't need one.

Nobody at POEA seems to have any information other than "just follow the instructions". None of this makes any sense and nobody knows anything.

She spoke to POLO in Vancouver who said no problem we will get you an OEC, only to ask for her original LMIA and a new contract with her current employer to verify.. with no further instructions on if she is eligible or what to do next.

Can anybody share any insight at all who has been in a similar situation?

qbee

Sep 8, 2023
Hi, I know it's been months since this question, but I was wondering if your girlfriend was able to resolve this? I may be on the same boat. I'm a PGWP holder and will be travelling back to the Philippines for vacation, and I'm worried that I'll be required to present an OEC upon departure.

sweetlips16

Aug 2, 2023
Hello, im hoping your gf is back here in canada, just wanna know what documents she have provided upon exit in phil immi?

HI everyone, this post mostly is targeted at Filipinos who might provide some insight..

My girlfriend left Canada from Singapore several years ago for work. She has worked in Canada for several years, is in the last stages of her TR to PR application, has an open work permit and a multiple entry visa. She had to go back to Philippines for a funeral, but it has been several months and she hasn't been allowed to leave back to Canada. She was held up at the airport and told she needs an OEC to leave. She showed them these, as many people have said they were allowed to leave without an OEC and an OWP after providing them https://www.gatewaytocanada.com/2020/12/poea-advisory-re-open-work-permits.html - they brought her to POEA office and said these aren't valid, but they are an officially advisory on DMW site. She spoke to POEA office and they said same thing. Everyone on forums she talked to said people get out all the time using these.

The issue is, all of the requirements for OEC she doesn't meet. Recruiters won't touch her because they say she has an open work permit already, she can't apply with her current job because she is considered a direct hire. They insist on an LMIA but Canada won't issue one because she has an open work permit. They insist on a contract but she doesn't need one.

Nobody at POEA seems to have any information other than "just follow the instructions". None of this makes any sense and nobody knows anything.

She spoke to POLO in Vancouver who said no problem we will get you an OEC, only to ask for her original LMIA and a new contract with her current employer to verify.. with no further instructions on if she is eligible or what to do next.

Can anybody share any insight at all who has been in a similar situation?