+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OWP from outside Canada for my common-law

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
So we have only one option, cross border as visitor and wait till i get job and payslips :)

Btw - do you know if it takes really almost 80 days to consider application for OWP? I saw today proccesing time for OWP i was shocked!
My spouse has been waiting 7 months for her OWP. That being said, it's a different kind of OWP.

Don't expect any quick processing at all in the COVID environment. Also, unless you've currently got a job offer lined up, getting work in Canada may be challenging given the millions unemployed.

dziend0bry

Jun 8, 2020
Also note that one of the explicity requirements of the IEC program is "not be accompaied by dependents".

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/eligibility.asp?country=pl&cat=wh&#country_category_name_cont

Again, OWP is certaily an option. But not until after you are in Canada and have been working for around a month and a half.

But... still

Your dependants aren’t eligible to accompany you to Canada under the IEC program. However, they may apply to visit, study or work in Canada. Your application will be examined separately from theirs.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So we have only one option, cross border as visitor and wait till i get job and payslips :)

Btw - do you know if it takes really almost 80 days to consider application for OWP? I saw today proccesing time for OWP i was shocked!
That's correct. Note that traveling right now would likely be problematic for your girlfriend and her reasons for travel would most likely be classified as non-essential. You'll want to wait until travel restrictions have been relaxed before she tries to come here. If you really want to try now, be prepared for the possibility of denied flight boarding and/or being turned away once you reach Canada.

And yes, processing times for work permits within Canada are around 80 days right now.

Note that in order for her to qualify for the OWP, you'll need to prove you are common law and have lived together continuously for at least one full year.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
But... still

Your dependants aren’t eligible to accompany you to Canada under the IEC program. However, they may apply to visit, study or work in Canada. Your application will be examined separately from theirs.
Totally agree. But again, for the OWP you have to be in Canada and working in a NOC A, B or 0 job. The application is a non-starter until then.

dziend0bry

Jun 8, 2020
That's correct. Note that traveling right now would likely be problematic for your girlfriend and her reasons for travel would most likely be classified as non-essential. You'll want to wait until travel restrictions have been relaxed before she tries to come here. If you really want to try now, be prepared for the possibility of denied flight boarding and/or being turned away once you reach Canada.

And yes, processing times for work permits within Canada are around 80 days right now.

Note that in order for her to qualify for the OWP, you'll need to prove you are common law and have lived together continuously for at least one full year.
We want to wait till travel restrictions will be relaxed, my POE is valid till Feb 2021, if it's possible, i'll extend this time for another 90 days.
We just want to travel together and stay there.

Eventually she gets her own POE from IEC and will be able travel and activate like me, but it's the last resort.

Why legal roads have to be so hard...

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
We want to wait till travel restrictions will be relaxed, my POE is valid till Feb 2021, if it's possible, i'll extend this time for another 90 days.
We just want to travel together and stay there.

Eventually she gets her own POE from IEC and will be able travel and activate like me, but it's the last resort.

Why legal roads have to be so hard...
An IEC is almost the easiest way to come to Canada and work. While I get that you find it frustrating, what you are proposing (having your girlfriend accompany you and get an OWP) is not actually the most legal way of doing things. You're actually grasping at avenues to circumvent the legal requirements (ie, you MUST be a worker, she MUST not accompany you) instead of doing it the legal way.

dziend0bry

Jun 8, 2020
An IEC is almost the easiest way to come to Canada and work. While I get that you find it frustrating, what you are proposing (having your girlfriend accompany you and get an OWP) is not actually the most legal way of doing things. You're actually grasping at avenues to circumvent the legal requirements (ie, you MUST be a worker, she MUST not accompany you) instead of doing it the legal way.
We're trying to do this, because one year IEC might be to little time to get invitation to PNP in Alberta.

If we activate our WP's, we'll have just one year to do this.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We're trying to do this, because one year IEC might be to little time to get invitation to PNP in Alberta.

If we activate our WP's, we'll have just one year to do this.
You can do a second participation under YP assuming you find an employer willing to support (and assuming you are good taking a six month break between the two participations).

Overall, agreed with your tactic of entering later and getting the most out of your work permit.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You can do a second participation under YP assuming you find an employer willing to support (and assuming you are good taking a six month break between the two participations).

Overall, agreed with your tactic of entering later and getting the most out of your work permit.
Yes, entering later and getting the most is perfectly fine and a good suggestion. Trying to get her an OWP earlier isn't.

dziend0bry

Jun 8, 2020

I know about YP, but still you've to wait 6 months between.

We will see, anyway thanks both of you for help :) I appreciate it!