+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OWP from outside Canada for my common-law

dziend0bry

Jun 8, 2020
Hello again!

I'm still wondering about the best way to take my common-law partner with me to Canada (i have IEC but isn't activated yet, and my girlfriend is in the pool)

And i've just read about something like OWP outside Canada, we checked if she was eligible and... she is!
So our situation looks: both of us are still in Poland, only i have WP from IEC WH, so is it worth to start applying for OWP for her?

If yes, we'd go to Canada in Feb 2021, i'd activate my WP and she her own.

but....

Even is she received it, would she be able to apply for IEC WH during that year? I'm asking for it because if it was possible, we'd like to do the same with me. When my IEC will be about to expire, i'd apply for OWP based on my girlfriend's IEC, i hope you understood :D

Thanks for your help!

PS. In the form "find if you're eligible" she answered for this question

Will you be coming to Canada with a spouse or common-law partner who is, or will be, working in Canada as a foreign worker or who is, or will be, a full-time student at a university, community college, CEGEP or other authorized educational institution? (required)

"yes"

Because... i will be working in Canada as a foreign worker, won't i?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
My understanding is that you could potentially apply for a work permit for her, after you have obtained a skilled job (ie NOC 0 A or B) and have worked there for some time and can show payslips.

I do not believe you can obtain a work permit for her if you just hold and IEC and before you've gotten a job.

See here: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-permit-result.asp?q1_options=1i&q2_options=2d

I am quite possibly entirely incorrect.

dziend0bry

Jun 8, 2020
My understanding is that you could potentially apply for a work permit for her, after you have obtained a skilled job (ie NOC 0 A or B) and have worked there for some time and can show payslips.

I do not believe you can obtain a work permit for her if you just hold and IEC and before you've gotten a job.

See here: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-permit-result.asp?q1_options=1i&q2_options=2d

I am quite possibly entirely incorrect.

I don't believe as well, but based on the information in the form on cic.gc.ca where we answered for each questions truthfully (we aren't in Canada yet, we don't have job offer etc. etc) she is eligible... that's why i decided to ask here.

It's complicated.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
On what application/link are you answering those questions?

Often they turn on a tiny, tiny word difference: such as if you answered that you are a foreign worker and said that she doesn't have a job offer, then it may say eligible - but you're not a foreign worker yet since you don't have a job. Just a POE instruction letter.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
It's hard for me to answer this question. There is a challenge with the word "foreign worker." If you say in the questionnaire that you are not the spouse of a foreign worker but are the spouse of someone who is working in Canada, you're ineligibhle.

If an IEC visa holder is considered a foreign worker, then MAYBE you can apply outside Canada. But if an IEC visa holder, without a job, is not yet a foreign worker, then you can't.

This one you may need to ask IRCC.

Reactions: dziend0bry

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello again!

I'm still wondering about the best way to take my common-law partner with me to Canada (i have IEC but isn't activated yet, and my girlfriend is in the pool)

And i've just read about something like OWP outside Canada, we checked if she was eligible and... she is!
So our situation looks: both of us are still in Poland, only i have WP from IEC WH, so is it worth to start applying for OWP for her?

If yes, we'd go to Canada in Feb 2021, i'd activate my WP and she her own.

but....

Even is she received it, would she be able to apply for IEC WH during that year? I'm asking for it because if it was possible, we'd like to do the same with me. When my IEC will be about to expire, i'd apply for OWP based on my girlfriend's IEC, i hope you understood :D

Thanks for your help!

PS. In the form "find if you're eligible" she answered for this question

Will you be coming to Canada with a spouse or common-law partner who is, or will be, working in Canada as a foreign worker or who is, or will be, a full-time student at a university, community college, CEGEP or other authorized educational institution? (required)

"yes"

Because... i will be working in Canada as a foreign worker, won't i?
You can't apply while you are outside of Canada.

You must wait until you have arrived in Canada and have secured a NOC A, B or 0 role, have started in that role, and have at least three payslips to include in her OWP application.

The "will" in the statement above refers to indviduals who are on closed work permits tied to specific employers where their NOC and job is already confirmed. Doesn't apply to you since you are on an open work permit.

It's a no go until you are in Canada and working in a qualifying role.

dziend0bry

Jun 8, 2020
In many other places on this forum, people clearly say the IEC holder needs to demonstrate employment in order for a spouse to get an OWP: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/applying-for-an-open-work-permit-as-spouse-has-iec.432014/

That means job offer letter, paystubs, and meet the NOC requirements.

I have seen it and read, so that's why i was prepared for this and we'd like to cross the border together but i with my IEC and she with visitor status, and after getting job in NOC B, got 3 payslips, we'd like to apply for her OWP, but recently i've discovered this option so i'm confused.

I'm going ask IRCC, we will see.

dziend0bry

Jun 8, 2020
You can't apply while you are outside of Canada.

You must wait until you have arrived in Canada and have secured a NOC A, B or 0 role, have started in that role, and have at least three payslips to include in her OWP application.

The "will" in the statement above refers to indviduals who are on closed work permits tied to specific employers where their NOC and job is already confirmed. Doesn't apply to you since you are on an open work permit.

It's a no go until you are in Canada and working in a qualifying role.
Ok, understood, everything is clear.

Thank you a lot for help! :)

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Fair enough.

I am going to revise my opinion and rather strongly state that you're not a foreign worker until you're actually working. @scylla's point about closed work permits being foreign workers is totally correct, since you need to have employment confirmed before you get that permit.

With an IEC POE letter, you're not yet a worker. You're someone hoping to be.

Reactions: scylla

dziend0bry

Jun 8, 2020
Fair enough.

I am going to revise my opinion and rather strongly state that you're not a foreign worker until you're actually working. @scylla's point about closed work permits being foreign workers is totally correct, since you need to have employment confirmed before you get that permit.

With an IEC POE letter, you're not yet a worker. You're someone hoping to be.
So we have only one option, cross border as visitor and wait till i get job and payslips :)

Btw - do you know if it takes really almost 80 days to consider application for OWP? I saw today proccesing time for OWP i was shocked!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.