+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Owner operator LMIA, Work permit and PR

canadavisaQs

Aug 15, 2019
This thread helped me a lot regarding owner operator programs. Thanks!
I got my OO LIMA 200 points approval back in Nov 2020. Here are my timeline and facts I think might contribute my results. Hopefully it can help more.

Timeline:
Feb 2020, signed retainer agreement with my current attorney.
Mar 2020, created business in Canada, following with mandatory steps, (bank account, business license, GST, PST, HST, office(shared) etc)
May 2020, received first version business plan.
Jun 2020, signed off final version business plan.
Sep 2020, signed off and submitted LIMA EMP form.
Sep 2020, attorney confirmed Service Canada has received the application.
Nov 2020, attorney emailed me saying that they received a call from Service Canada regarding one specified question regarding my business.
Nov 2020, one day later, I sent my answer to my attorney, who I assumed forwarded my answers to Service Canada.
Nov 2020,another day later, I received the LIMA approval letter from Service Canada.
Dec 2020, I submitted EE profile and got ITA within a week via another attorney. (My LIMA attorney is quite slow in processing my application.)
Feb 2021, I submitted my EE PR application via the new attorney.

Facts impact the LIMA result positively, I think.
+ The business plan is quite solidly written by my LIMA attorney
+ Though I was remote, the business is under minimized operation, with contracts, orders, expenses, offices etc.
+ I hired a part-time Canada citizen to support the operation.
+ I built a website for the business.
+ To get the 200 points, I emphasized in the business plan that I would be a senior level manager in my business (I will have direct report managers under me and skip level employees under them).
+ The business I would setup has strong consistency with my previous working experience.

Fact could have positive impact
1. To make my application stronger, I switched my office to physical shared office from a virtual one before the LIMA application. However, my attorney failed to update this piece of information in my LIMA package.

Moving forward,
Currently my LIMA attorney is still working my work permit, which is super slow. As indicated in the timeline, I have submitted my EE PR application as the 200 points granted made my profile above the CRS threshold. There were EE stuffs involving more discussions relevant to other threads regarding EE/PR. In general, I'm waiting for my PR result with my positive LIMA. I don't feel super confident as my personal/work life had been tough and shifting due to various reasons in 2020. Still, I would share more regarding LIMA if you guys have questions.

So you got approved LMIA with NOC 00 without interview? That seems odd

Sakishore

Mar 14, 2021
I applied under Owner operator program in August 2020 with Service Canada for LMIA , but received 0621 code. After that I have applied for work permit in December 2020 , still waiting for the work permit result. Is there any one who can at least give me an idea how much time is it taking for this kind of work permit to get approved??

Is there any one who has received same code or any other code and applied for work permit and got the result (positive or negative) ?

Nadeemcadxb

Star Member
Mar 31, 2020
This thread helped me a lot regarding owner operator programs. Thanks!
I got my OO LIMA 200 points approval back in Nov 2020. Here are my timeline and facts I think might contribute my results. Hopefully it can help more.

Timeline:
Feb 2020, signed retainer agreement with my current attorney.
Mar 2020, created business in Canada, following with mandatory steps, (bank account, business license, GST, PST, HST, office(shared) etc)
May 2020, received first version business plan.
Jun 2020, signed off final version business plan.
Sep 2020, signed off and submitted LIMA EMP form.
Sep 2020, attorney confirmed Service Canada has received the application.
Nov 2020, attorney emailed me saying that they received a call from Service Canada regarding one specified question regarding my business.
Nov 2020, one day later, I sent my answer to my attorney, who I assumed forwarded my answers to Service Canada.
Nov 2020,another day later, I received the LIMA approval letter from Service Canada.
Dec 2020, I submitted EE profile and got ITA within a week via another attorney. (My LIMA attorney is quite slow in processing my application.)
Feb 2021, I submitted my EE PR application via the new attorney.

Facts impact the LIMA result positively, I think.
+ The business plan is quite solidly written by my LIMA attorney
+ Though I was remote, the business is under minimized operation, with contracts, orders, expenses, offices etc.
+ I hired a part-time Canada citizen to support the operation.
+ I built a website for the business.
+ To get the 200 points, I emphasized in the business plan that I would be a senior level manager in my business (I will have direct report managers under me and skip level employees under them).
+ The business I would setup has strong consistency with my previous working experience.

Fact could have positive impact
1. To make my application stronger, I switched my office to physical shared office from a virtual one before the LIMA application. However, my attorney failed to update this piece of information in my LIMA package.

Moving forward,
Currently my LIMA attorney is still working my work permit, which is super slow. As indicated in the timeline, I have submitted my EE PR application as the 200 points granted made my profile above the CRS threshold. There were EE stuffs involving more discussions relevant to other threads regarding EE/PR. In general, I'm waiting for my PR result with my positive LIMA. I don't feel super confident as my personal/work life had been tough and shifting due to various reasons in 2020. Still, I would share more regarding LIMA if you guys have questions.
First of all thank you so much for a detailed post which is very informative and I am sure many will get some guidelines. I have few questions however, I would appreciate if you can please share some information on your business nature and I read where you mentioned that your business in Canada was the same nature of your previous job so that means you can put a business plan if you have been working in the same industry and not necessarily you need to owned a business in the past to open a new business in Canada.

By the way I work in Hotel/Resort industry as a finance leader however, I have a track record on business strategies and can run a small motel/hostel as business or a consultancy company where I could assist Restaurant/hotel owners while managing their business.

I look forward to receive your reply on above question and maybe your thoughts on my potential plan?

Thank you in advance and may God bless you.

canadavisaQs

Aug 15, 2019
I applied under Owner operator program in August 2020 with Service Canada for LMIA , but received 0621 code. After that I have applied for work permit in December 2020 , still waiting for the work permit result. Is there any one who can at least give me an idea how much time is it taking for this kind of work permit to get approved??

Is there any one who has received same code or any other code and applied for work permit and got the result (positive or negative) ?
i applied for owner operator LMIA with NOC code 0013 (CEO) and after 2 hours of argument with officer, she gave me 0125 (office manager). LMIA was approved last year, applied work permit from india in June 2020, Medical approved in September 2020, Still waiting for final decision.

fishinfall

Mar 6, 2020
First of all thank you so much for a detailed post which is very informative and I am sure many will get some guidelines. I have few questions however, I would appreciate if you can please share some information on your business nature and I read where you mentioned that your business in Canada was the same nature of your previous job so that means you can put a business plan if you have been working in the same industry and not necessarily you need to owned a business in the past to open a new business in Canada.

By the way I work in Hotel/Resort industry as a finance leader however, I have a track record on business strategies and can run a small motel/hostel as business or a consultancy company where I could assist Restaurant/hotel owners while managing their business.

I look forward to receive your reply on above question and maybe your thoughts on my potential plan?

Thank you in advance and may God bless you.
You don't have to previously own a business but my interpretation with this Owner Operator program is that you at least need to be a manager or better a senior level manager (having skip level employees) in certain business. The consistency of former business/industry you have been previously working on and the business you are about to open in Canada will be convincing to the LMIA review officer.

I might not be able to tell if a business plan is good or not. One practice I did was that standing from the officer's view and raising any questions toward my business plan. Then I address the questions if they are not already covered in the plan. Even if the application was submitted, I still did the FAQ thing to myself as a preparation to the potential interview.
For example if opening a motel is your business plan, questions: 1) have you signed the contract of motel lease 2) location and why is location 3) business model (rooms/prices/occupation rate/revenue/profits vs lease/utility/personals/costs etc) 4) team structure (your role decides your NOC code) 5) license/safety/compliance/regulations 6) how to be sustainable during covid etc.

canadavisaQs

Aug 15, 2019
It's been 13 months since i applied for my work permit from new Delhi, india and we don't have a decision yet. According to my attorney, we should file a legal case against IRCC under "memorandum of writ petition"

we are going forward with this, and will have a decision one way or the other in 60 days or less

WR ACCA

Oct 25, 2018
It's been 13 months since i applied for my work permit from new Delhi, india and we don't have a decision yet. According to my attorney, we should file a legal case against IRCC under "memorandum of writ petition"

we are going forward with this and will have a decision one way or the other in 60 days or less
All the best dear. how your company has been managing running expenses? It's quite tough if u don't have any clients.

fishinfall

Mar 6, 2020
Hi,

Earlier last week I got OPR letter and mailed my passport to IRCC. Today in my profile my application was shown approved! It took only 1.5 months from submitting to approval, which was supper fast considering everything goes on. (We all having visitor visas and visited Canada several times might help a little.)
Yet, my wife and child's applications are still pending due to missing medical exams. We already did medical exams during PR EE which we did prior to WP application. Apparently my exam result from EE was reflected in my WP application while my wife's/child's weren't. I'm working with my agency to send CICC our exams receipts. Hopefully, CICC can connects the exam results from PR applications for all of us.
That being said, even if all our WP applications (my child's SP) were approved, we probably won't enter Canada until PR applications pass thru, since the move was a huge change to our family. PR would definitely guaranty our staying.

Still, this OO program did help us a lot with the hope of moving to Canada. Though It looked it was shut down April this year. https://www.cicnews.com/2021/04/canadian-work-permit-alternatives-to-owner-operator-for-immigrant-entrepreneurs-0417662.html#gs.75o14n

canadavisaQs

Aug 15, 2019

we are going forward with this, and will have a decision one way or the other in 60 days or less
in order to file "memorandum of writ petition" we have to update IRCC and give them 1 or 2 weeks notice to make a decision. On july 30th, we got medial request for all 3 of us, which doesnt' look like a co incidence.

Medical was done on July 31 and uploaded to the CIC account.

Hoping for positive response in next week or two.

Reactions: Wingslife