+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Overstay/voluntary removal history for express entry application

Chiofcanada

Dec 25, 2020
As a minor I overstayed in the UK for 4years and voluntarily left after I turned 18 although during my departure I was stopped and given a notice for removal. I haven’t reapplied to go to the UK since then and it’s been over 10 years. I’ve applied for US and other visas and never disclosed my overstay and got approved. I’ve also applied for a Canadian TRV few years ago and answered NO to the statuary right question “have you ever been ordered to leave Canada or any other country?” and the TRV was approved and was given a 5 year visa. I’ve travelled and lived legally in other countries legally since the UK and now I want to apply for permanent residency through express entry, should I still answer no to the removal question seeing I’ve answered no and was given TRV? Or should I declare it in my PR app? Will they find out about my overstay/removal during their extensive immigration/background check for PR and complicate things? isn’t that grounds for misrepresentation? Please help, Thanks

worrier123

Star Member
Jan 16, 2021
Based on recent advice I have received, if you are applying for permanent residency then previous overstays aren't a problem if you are upfront about them.

Overstaying visas and deportations etc. can definitely affect your ability to get temporary visas, as you've previously displayed a failure to comply with visa terms, but given that PR is just that, permanent, there's no way you can overstay that, so it isn't considered against you.

Chiofcanada

Dec 25, 2020
Based on recent advice I have received, if you are applying for permanent residency then previous overstays aren't a problem if you are upfront about them.

Overstaying visas and deportations etc. can definitely affect your ability to get temporary visas, as you've previously displayed a failure to comply with visa terms, but given that PR is just that, permanent, there's no way you can overstay that, so it isn't considered against you.
Thanks for the response! But I didn’t disclose the overstay for my Canadian TRVs and it was approved? Wouldn’t it be misrepresentation disclosing it now for PR? I’m skeptical about how extensive their background checks are and whether or not I should stick to not disclosing it

worrier123

Star Member
Jan 16, 2021
Thanks for the response! But I didn’t disclose the overstay for my Canadian TRVs and it was approved? Wouldn’t it be misrepresentation disclosing it now for PR? I’m skeptical about how extensive their background checks are and whether or not I should stick to not disclosing it
I'd imagine the background checks for PR are extensive enough to discover this. Given that it's not a barrier to obtaining PR, I don't know why you wouldn't disclose it, because if you don't and they find out you're screwed. However I'd advise you to get some legal advice on this given the fact that you've previously failed to disclose it, and whether there's any consequences associated with that.

sunset11

Apr 12, 2021
I'd imagine the background checks for PR are extensive enough to discover this. Given that it's not a barrier to obtaining PR, I don't know why you wouldn't disclose it, because if you don't and they find out you're screwed. However I'd advise you to get some legal advice on this given the fact that you've previously failed to disclose it, and whether there's any consequences associated with that.
Hi,
just curious.. how did it go for you? Did you get your PR?

sunset11

Apr 12, 2021
HI, How did it all work out for you? Did you get your PR?

sunset11

Apr 12, 2021

worrier123

Star Member
Jan 16, 2021
Thank you! There's definitely some sort of error on their part, i hope it's the one that seems to make most sense based on the info I have to hand but who knows!

Reactions: sunset11

sunset11

Apr 12, 2021
As a minor I overstayed in the UK for 4years and voluntarily left after I turned 18 although during my departure I was stopped and given a notice for removal. I haven’t reapplied to go to the UK since then and it’s been over 10 years. I’ve applied for US and other visas and never disclosed my overstay and got approved. I’ve also applied for a Canadian TRV few years ago and answered NO to the statuary right question “have you ever been ordered to leave Canada or any other country?” and the TRV was approved and was given a 5 year visa. I’ve travelled and lived legally in other countries legally since the UK and now I want to apply for permanent residency through express entry, should I still answer no to the removal question seeing I’ve answered no and was given TRV? Or should I declare it in my PR app? Will they find out about my overstay/removal during their extensive immigration/background check for PR and complicate things? isn’t that grounds for misrepresentation? Please help, Thanks
Hi, just curious to how it all worked out for you? Ha
Thank you! There's definitely some sort of error on their part, i hope it's the one that seems to make most sense based on the info I have to hand but who knows!
Please keep us all posted how it works out its all such a nerve wrecking experience

sunset11

Apr 12, 2021
Hi Chiofcanada,
Curious to know how things are going? Have you submitted your application for PR?

Chiofcanada

Dec 25, 2020

Hi Chiofcanada,
Curious to know how things are going? Have you submitted your application for PR?
Hello,

I never got a chance to apply for PR since they stopped it in 2020.. now that it’s resumed,crs scores a so damn high I may never get an invitation to apply. Guess I’ll ever find out lol! Goodluck

Reactions: paneka penalty