+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Overseas spouse and dependents of protected person and convention refugee timeline - Share here

Dani94

Jan 22, 2024
I submitted my claim in November 2018,got my notice of decision in May 2021, PR in April 2023.
I had submitted my application together with my overseas, their biometrics were done in October 2023. I'm so confused, how long does it take for overseas dependents and how is it calculated? Which dates are considered? I miss my daughter
You know if dependent of a PR application of a protected person can go back to their home country? Like your daughter (in guessing she is not a protected person)

Dani94

Jan 22, 2024
A protected person cannot sponsor a spouse through the family class because the spouse is already a dependent at the time he/she became a protected person. A protected person should add the spouse to his/her application. As a protected person, you can only sponsor a spouse you married after you achieved your new status (protected person or PR).

A physical PR card is not what makes you a Permanent Resident. As a permanent resident, you may not have need for your PR card for once and can even become a citizen without having need for it. At best, your PR card is useful when you travel in/out of Canada.
Hello my wife is a protected person in Canada when she applied for the PR she added me as her dependant (I’m not a refuge) now we both are PR now , my question is me as dependant of a refuge category DR can I travel back home safely?

Melsi

Star Member
Feb 22, 2023
Hello my wife is a protected person in Canada when she applied for the PR she added me as her dependant (I’m not a refuge) now we both are PR now , my question is me as dependant of a refuge category DR can I travel back home safely?
Yes you can

Orlando_Best

Sep 14, 2021
I submitted my claim in November 2018,got my notice of decision in May 2021, PR in April 2023.
I had submitted my application together with my overseas, their biometrics were done in October 2023. I'm so confused, how long does it take for overseas dependents and how is it calculated? Which dates are considered? I miss my daughter
The processing time is presently at 48 months and it counts from when your own application was received by IRCC.

Orlando_Best

Sep 14, 2021
Yes you can. You can travel to your home country (country of citizenship) without any problems because you were never a refugee nor a protected person. Your wife can only travel to back after she becomes a Canadian citizen.

Last edited:

Cilacanada

Star Member
Jan 7, 2022
Can a refugee dependent living outside Canada provide my family with a tourist visa? Do we, as refugees, have the right after obtaining permanent residency to provide it to our family?

Orlando_Best

Sep 14, 2021
Can a refugee dependent living outside Canada provide my family with a tourist visa? Do we, as refugees, have the right after obtaining permanent residency to provide it to our family?
Your question is not very clear. However, nobody, not even Canadian citizens have the power to provide tourist visas. It’s only IRCC that can grant anyone visa after going through the necessary process to ensure that the person is a fit and proper person and not a danger to Canada.

Ben11

Mar 16, 2024
HI Members

I have dependents overseas and I applied for PR last year in July.
Application it's on progress but not major things especially dependents IRCC they don't contact them yet.

I'm willing to invite them here and applied for a Visitor Visa so they can joined me while the PR it's on progress.

Any advice please or someone been approved for a Visa for dependents and I'm allowed to please I need help and how likely the Visa get approved thanks members.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
HI Members

Application it's on progress but not major things especially dependents IRCC they don't contact them yet.

I'm willing to invite them here and applied for a Visitor Visa so they can joined me while the PR it's on progress.

Any advice please or someone been approved for a Visa for dependents and I'm allowed to please I need help and how likely the Visa get approved thanks members.
Not that I am aware of, unfortunately you will have to wait until process complete.

Orlando_Best

Sep 14, 2021
HI Members

I am sure you included them in your PR application. You have to wait for the completion of the process.

mafghan

Oct 24, 2022
Hello,

My wife and my children has recently received their Notice of Decision for their refugee claim. There are now "Protected Persons".

My wife just submitted her PR application. She included me as a dependent in her PR application.

From what I've read on this forum, it looks like my wife and children will receive their eCOPR in about 45 to 90 days.

My question is: Will it really take 48 months for my PR application to be processed (as an overseas dependent of a Protected Person and considering that my Application has been submitted together with wife application)?

Most of the posts in this thread suggest a 48-month processing time.

I've heard of someone getting their PR approved in less than a year, but that might have been lucky few, not sure.

Salute to all those who have been waiting for 48 months (altogether it would be more than 6 years and that's an invitation to serious depression!!!)

Beamsbabe

Jun 22, 2023
Hello,

My wife and my children has recently received their Notice of Decision for their refugee claim. There are now "Protected Persons".

My wife just submitted her PR application. She included me as a dependent in her PR application.

From what I've read on this forum, it looks like my wife and children will receive their eCOPR in about 45 to 90 days.

My question is: Will it really take 48 months for my PR application to be processed (as an overseas dependent of a Protected Person and considering that my Application has been submitted together with wife application)?

I've heard of someone getting their PR approved in less than a year, but that might have been lucky few, not sure.

Salute to all those who have been waiting for 48 months (altogether it would be more than 6 years and that's an invitation to serious depression!!!)
[/QUOTE

Hello,
A big congratulations to your family on the approval.

Firstly I want to state that every dependant on this platform had their applications submitted by their spouses at the same time as theirs which was approved .

Secondly the standard time for processing applications of dependant outside Canada is 48 months still.

Thirdly, I believe miracles still happen but in this case Its only God that can make that happen.

Lastly I have been waiting for 49 months now without any updates, but I how for the best and I want you to also expect the unexpected. Don't keep your life on hold because of IRCC , do something worthwhile while you wait.

Cheers

Reactions: mafghan

Orlando_Best

Sep 14, 2021
Hello,

From all indication, you have the necessary information. Therefore, I am certain you can manage your expectations. 48 months is not cast in stone. It could be more or less. It starts counting from the day your Wife’s application is received by IRCC for PR processing.

Last edited:

razrazanan

Star Member
Jul 18, 2023
Hello,

48 months start the day your wife submits the application, not the day she receives PR. Also, it really doesn’t take that long .. and most of your processing time depends on the VO that will process your application. Some VOs like Singapore are really fast, others are much slower.