+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outside Canada - Oath of Citizenship

tsap33

Star Member
Apr 20, 2017
sk6492,
Oh Canada !!!

Did you get an invitation to Oath? Did you guys send a mail to the CIC office to reschedule or took oath from outside.

Please help me here. I got an invitation for oath and have 10 days. Shall I send a mail to the 'Outside Canada – Oath of Citizenship'. Are they allowed to take oath from outside or do they only reschedule it.

Since you both might get invitation till now and might be going through this. I am looking for some information on this.

Thanks in advnace.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Unless your claiming citizenship is a benefit to Canada’s national interests, there’s currently no program in place for ordinary civilians to take the oath outside of Canada.

Reactions: snoopyta

chs

Sep 14, 2019
Quebec
Unless your claiming citizenship is a benefit to Canada’s national interests, there’s currently no program in place for ordinary civilians to take the oath outside of Canada.
I forget where it is in this rather large forum, but there are rumblings and rumours of people now being able to take the Oath outside of the country under (admittedly) very unclear and uncertain circumstances. I believe @CaBeaver found the thread; I'll leave it to them to expound on it. Please do remember that when testing started, we weren't allowed to do that outside the country, either, and, yet, here we are now, with tons of people taking tests outside the country.

I'm surprised no one has pitched to the Immigration Minister that allowing the Oath outside the country will help raise the immigration numbers and hit their various targets (or, maybe they have and we just don't know about it.)

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I forget where it is in this rather large forum, but there are rumblings and rumours of people now being able to take the Oath outside of the country under (admittedly) very unclear and uncertain circumstances. I believe @CaBeaver found the thread; I'll leave it to them to expound on it. Please do remember that when testing started, we weren't allowed to do that outside the country, either, and, yet, here we are now, with tons of people taking tests outside the country.

I'm surprised no one has pitched to the Immigration Minister that allowing the Oath outside the country will help raise the immigration numbers and hit their various targets (or, maybe they have and we just don't know about it.)
I believe you refer to this indication. The official during the interview indeed didn't say it's not possible, but it needs more work. We won't know for sure if they can implement this, unless someone explicitly asks to do the oath from outside Canada, instead of asking to postpone it because they are outside. They won't lose anything: if IRCC said OK, then they do it, if no, then they reschedule it.

chs

Sep 14, 2019
Quebec
I believe you refer to this indication. The official during the interview indeed didn't say it's not possible, but it needs more work. We won't know for sure if they can implement this, unless someone explicitly asks to do the oath from outside Canada, instead of asking to postpone it because they are outside. They won't lose anything: if IRCC said OK, then they do it, if no, then they reschedule it.
Thanks, @CaBeaver; that's exactly the thread I was thinking of! Yes, would be good if that could be firmed up in a way that's a "win/win" for everyone, although I'm not holding my breath, lol

sk6492

Star Member
Sep 20, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-01-2017
AOR Received.
18-01-2017
Med's Done....
21-02-2017
sk6492,
Oh Canada !!!

Did you get an invitation to Oath? Did you guys send a mail to the CIC office to reschedule or took oath from outside.

Please help me here. I got an invitation for oath and have 10 days. Shall I send a mail to the 'Outside Canada – Oath of Citizenship'. Are they allowed to take oath from outside or do they only reschedule it.

Since you both might get invitation till now and might be going through this. I am looking for some information on this.

Thanks in advnace.

Hello, I have not got the oath invitation yet.
You can give it a try by sending them an email, no harm in it. But the chances are bleak, like others said.

If possible, try to come back to Canada in 10days instead of rescheduling, if they dont offer Oath outside canada.

tahrima

Dec 8, 2021
Hi. I am just curious to know what can I expect for Oath of Citizenship while living outside Canada for personal reasons during this time. I did complete my Online Citizenship test couple weeks ago while away from Canada. I haven't researched a lot about taking oath of citizenship while living outside Canada though. Did some basic search and it looks like it is completely within Canadian law to take oath of citizenship while outside. Is there anyone else on the same situation? Any inputs is welcome. Please also mention if you did oath of ceremony while outside Canada or within Canada when you reply. Thanks again
Hello, I am on the same boat.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello, I am on the same boat. Can we chat on WhatsApp? +971509285298
You can't take the oath outside of Canada. If you let IRCC know you are outside of Canada, your oath will be rescheduled.

K310

Star Member
Apr 25, 2020
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Warsaw
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 2017
LANDED..........
Feb 2017
There was one circular posted by some one on the implementations of online system for citizenship and it had provision for oath outside Canada but it’s still not implemented and no one know when it will be implemented.

ghonghadze

Star Member
Nov 15, 2014
I was very surprised to hear this news which I will share now, the wife of my friend went back to her country and her oath was scheduled while she was there so they contacted IRCC and told them that she was not in Canada and asked them to allow her to take Oath from that country. IRCC then contacted her and allowed her to take oath from that Country and she had her oath in the beginning of December so IT is possible to take Oath outside Canada. and Her application was in the Scarborough IRCC office. I thought it was not possible but I know them very well and they are my friend so it happened for real.
I am a "condemned like others " 2019 Citizenship applicant and still waiting for my Oath in Canada....

engray

Champion Member
Jul 20, 2018
I was very surprised to hear this news which I will share now, the wife of my friend went back to her country and her oath was scheduled while she was there so they contacted IRCC and told them that she was not in Canada and asked them to allow her to take Oath from that country. IRCC then contacted her and allowed her to take oath from that Country and she had her oath in the beginning of December so IT is possible to take Oath outside Canada. and Her application was in the Scarborough IRCC office. I thought it was not possible but I know them very well and they are my friend so it happened for real.
I am a "condemned like others " 2019 Citizenship applicant and still waiting for my Oath in Canada....
I think if this is allowed, it is great news for many. Thanks for sharing.