+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outside Canada - Oath of Citizenship

itenten

Jun 3, 2021
Welcome and good luck.
Thanks. It looks like they're allowing it now and doesn't have to be very special circumstances, I guess if you're on holiday, they may require you to come back but if for medical and work, they allow it. which is great news!

itenten

Jun 3, 2021
Thanks. It looks like they're allowing it now and doesn't have to be very special circumstances, I guess if you're on holiday, they may require you to come back but if for medical and work, they allow it. which is great news!
I wish they will just officially announce this and everyone will be happy and everyone can continue their travel plans.

Reactions: SAD9

itenten

Jun 3, 2021
I asked IRCC about this change allowing applicants to take oath outside Canada and they did not deny this rather advised that the website is currently being updated to reflect any changes in Citizenship policy and to follow any instruction from an official gc.ca email account. Looks like this change is going to be official soon! here is copy of IRCC reply screenshot

Last edited:

JEI-CAN

Dec 2, 2020
Could someone please confirm if I have understood right, that you are able to do the whole citizenship application process online and also out of the country? So, my plan is to submit the application once I'm eligible, then go back to home country and come back to Canada once I have the e-certificate of Canadian citizenship?

OkPeak

Aug 27, 2023
I received oath ceremony details but I am not in Canada. It would be great if I could take oath outside. The instructions for Oath I have received in the email contain some statements which discuss case of oath if taken outside Canada. For example: there is line saying for paper based citizenship certificate it could take "up to 6 months if you are taking the oath outside of Canada". Does this mean taking oath outside is now officially an option?

Last edited:

ps2qft

Aug 4, 2014
I received oath ceremony details but I am not in Canada. It would be great if I could take oath outside. The instructions for Oath I have received in the email contain some statements which discuss case of oath if taken outside Canada. For example: there is line saying for paper based citizenship certificate it could take "up to 6 months if you are taking the oath outside of Canada". Does this mean taking oath outside is now officially an option.
That certainly implies so! It wouldn't say it otherwise.

What day is your ceremony? And which office has processed your application?

gp_2020

Oct 21, 2020
There is a note on the IRCC page:
Can I leave Canada after I mail my citizenship application?

You must attend appointments and other events at our offices, like your:

• citizenship test (for applicants 18 to 54 years of age)
  • interview or hearing
  • ceremony

These events only take place in Canada. If you can’t attend the appointment or event, you must either e-mail or write to the local office that sent you the event notice. You can also use the online web form to contact us.

https://www.ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=911&top=5

I think you need to get in touch with the office to confirm, hiding the detail that you are out of the country can have sad consequences.

Reactions: YVR123

OkPeak

Aug 27, 2023
Some of these guidelines need more details. Many people (including me) took citizenship test outside Canada. I informed IRCC about my situation and they replied saying it is ok to give test outside Canada. But yes, you need approval from them to do it.

Last edited:

gp_2020

Oct 21, 2020
Some of these guidelines are definitely outdated. Many people (including me) took citizenship test outside Canada. I informed IRCC about my situation and they replied saying it is ok to give test outside Canada. But yes, you need approval from them to do it.
Outdated? That's a fact! But it is better to always use caution to make sure you don't get burned :)

benali

Star Member
Sep 18, 2018
Some of these guidelines are definitely outdated. Many people (including me) took citizenship test outside Canada. I informed IRCC about my situation and they replied saying it is ok to give test outside Canada. But yes, you need approval from them to do it.
Yes true I did my test outside of Canada as well. For the ceremony just do the same, reply to the oath invitation that you are out of the country and you would like to proceed with the oath from outside, they will reply back saying its ok same as the test. just make sure you notify them to be in the safe side. but yes you can do it from outside 2 of my friends just did it. Update us of what will happen with you please

Reactions: satara9354

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
You must attend appointments and other events at our offices, like your:

• citizenship test (for applicants 18 to 54 years of age)
  • interview or hearing
  • ceremony

These events only take place in Canada. If you can’t attend the appointment or event, you must either e-mail or write to the local office that sent you the event notice. You can also use the online web form to contact us.
https://www.ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=911&top=5

Yes true I did my test outside of Canada as well.

CLARIFICATIONS:

The referenced answer to the FAQ regarding leaving Canada after applying for citizenship was updated just this past June (June 21, 2023). It appears to be accurate and up-to-date in so far as the information in it goes.

It does not, however, address procedures attendant online/virtual events.

As illustrated in reports here, and by scores of others, IRCC has implemented some online events for SOME applicants. It warrants emphasizing that NOT ALL applicants are scheduled for an online test, or online interview, or oath ceremony. And so far, very few have confirmed being allowed to take the oath while still abroad. General availability to the latter is far from clear, at least for now (this is something that appears to be in transition; see further observations below and in linked other topics).

IRCC is still scheduling some in-person tests, interviews, and oath ceremonies. As the answer to the FAQ correctly states: "These events only take place in Canada."

There are insufficient reports from applicants who have been scheduled for an in-person event, and who have asked to reschedule the event for online, to draw any reliable conclusions, or anywhere near firm conclusions, about whether such accommodation are routinely allowed. This is especially so in regards to the oath.

For tests and interviews scheduled to take place online, most applicants outside Canada are reporting they were able to take the test or attend the interview while outside Canada, but as noted by many here it is necessary to clearly communicate with IRCC about being outside Canada.

As to taking the oath online while outside Canada, in particular, while there are some reliable anecdotal reports about applicants being allowed to do this, this is something that is clearly very much in flux. It is not at all clear, yet, who will be allowed to take the oath online while outside Canada; likewise as to when or why, and such.

In any event, as the FAQ correctly states, those scheduled for an in-person test, interview, or oath ceremony, will generally need to attend the scheduled event IN CANADA. Again, whether individual applicants can obtain an exception is not clearly known.

Others and I have further addressed the oath outside Canada question in multiple topics, including here:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/outside-canada-oath-of-citizenship.743962/page-12#post-10572233
and here:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oath-outside-canada.816895/

Reactions: OkPeak and jojee2k6

ps2qft

Aug 4, 2014
Yes, I am doing a job outside Canada. I explained my situation along with the proofs (my contract here).

They did not reply with a confirmation email, rather, they sent me the procedure to obtain an e-certificate. That gives me an indication that they agreed. On the day of the oath, I again cleared them that I was outside and explained my situation and the email I sent. The officer said no issue.

My case was in Montreal.

Yes, via zoom with other participants.
I am also being processed at the Montreal office. I submitted request to take the oath outside of Canada same day I received email invitation (30 Aug). Yesterday, I received an email indicating that I had requested an e-Certificate (which I did not). Ghost update on my tracker today, too.

I hope I receive confirmation that I can indeed take the oath from outside of Canada as I do not want to be told at the ceremony that I cannot take the oath...