+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outside Canada - Oath of Citizenship

benali

Star Member
Sep 18, 2018
that's great to hear, thanks for sharing this info. just a couple questions

1. did you have to inform IRCC in advance that you were abroad? ( i guess they don't care anymore)

2. were you offered E-certificate? hope this option is available to everyone living abroad (i believe they used to send paper certificates to the consulate of the country you were residing and it could take a long time)

and congrats on becoming Canadian!
following

itenten

Jun 3, 2021
that's great to hear, thanks for sharing this info. just a couple questions

1. did you have to inform IRCC in advance that you were abroad? ( i guess they don't care anymore)

2. were you offered E-certificate? hope this option is available to everyone living abroad (i believe they used to send paper certificates to the consulate of the country you were residing and it could take a long time)

and congrats on becoming Canadian!
following also

itenten

Jun 3, 2021
Dear all
I have got invitation for video ceremony for oath. But I am outside Canada, therefore I already replied back on the same email which I got invitation from . i requested them to allow me take oath outside as I am getting some medical treatment in my home country.I also provided the documents required. After submitting the request I got automated reply, explaining various situations. It also mentions that one if outside Canada can take oath( i will attach email portion below). I am still waiting further response from them if I still need to join the video ceremony coming up or I have to skip it and wait for further instructions.my video ceremony is in 5 days . If anyone can please shed some light because I think even for video ceremony one has to be in Canada..what if ircc doesn't reach me before ceremony.i am puzzled.

IMPORTANT: Please be sure to identify yourself. In order to process your request without further delay, you need to provide the following information: Name, Application Number and/or Client ID Number (UCI). Without these details, your request will not be actioned.

Completed Oath Forms

If you are submitting your signed oath form, this is confirmation of receipt.

Additional Documents

If you are submitting documents or additional information to our office, we will not confirm receipt of these documents unless further follow-up is required.

Missed Ceremony

If you are requesting a re-schedule of a missed ceremony, you need to provide an explanation for why you missed your ceremony. Your request will be put in queue for an officer to review and approve or deny your request.

TRAVELLING OR OUTSIDE CANADA

If you have advised us that you will be TRAVELLING or are OUTSIDE CANADA You MAY take the Oath OUTSIDE CANADA. However, Please note your MUST Destroy your PR card. Apply for CANADIAN passport in order for you return back to CANADA. Therefore, the oath ceremony can be CANCELLED for YOU. If you choose to not to proceed with the Ceremony.

Please advise us of your return date. Please note, we can only POSTPONE the ceremony up to a maximum of 6 MONTHS. THIS IS ONLY FOR MISSING THE FIRST CEREMONY.

IMPORTANT: Once you are back in Canada, please contact us and PROVIDE PROOF of your return, such as the boarding passes. Once we receive the proof that you are back in Canada, we will re-schedule your oath ceremony.

A decision/response to your request will be added to your file. Should you require additional information, contact IRCC’s Client Support Centre for further information.
hi @Joshi85 can you give us the IRCC email address you emailed and got this automated reply from? I want to try sending them an email and see if I also get this auto reply

SAD9

Aug 23, 2023
Hi, I want to inform you all that it is possible to take an oath from outside Canada. I just took it from outside and everything went smoothly and got the e-certificate as well..

Good luck

Reactions: ps2qft and itenten

itenten

Jun 3, 2021
Yes, they allowed me to take it.

My story was simple. "job commitment". My case is unique. in a sense that I took a test and oath both from outside Canada.
oh so you were overseas for your job? do you have a copy of email saying that you are allowed to take outside Canada? what office is this and what's the email address?

Was it via zoom or did you go to high commission or consul? Thanks for posting.

itenten

Jun 3, 2021
Yes, they allowed me to take it.

My story was simple. "job commitment". My case is unique. in a sense that I took a test and oath both from outside Canada.
Also what's your full timeline if you don't mind? did it really take long if you are outside Canada?

SAD9

Aug 23, 2023
oh so you were overseas for your job? do you have a copy of email saying that you are allowed to take outside Canada? what office is this and what's the email address?

Was it via zoom or did you go to high commission or consul? Thanks for posting.
Yes, I am doing a job outside Canada. I explained my situation along with the proofs (my contract here).

They did not reply with a confirmation email, rather, they sent me the procedure to obtain an e-certificate. That gives me an indication that they agreed. On the day of the oath, I again cleared them that I was outside and explained my situation and the email I sent. The officer said no issue.

My case was in Montreal.

Yes, via zoom with other participants.

Reactions: itenten

SAD9

Aug 23, 2023
Also what's your full timeline if you don't mind? did it really take long if you are outside Canada?
Application filed: August 5, 2022
Citizen test invite: Dec, 14, 2022 (test completed Jan 10, 2023)
Background: Dec 25, 2022
LLP: Aug, 3 2023
Oath: Aug, 21, 2023

itenten

Jun 3, 2021
Yes, I am doing a job outside Canada. I explained my situation along with the proofs (my contract here).

They did not reply with a confirmation email, rather, they sent me the procedure to obtain an e-certificate. That gives me an indication that they agreed. On the day of the oath, I again cleared them that I was outside and explained my situation and the email I sent. The officer said no issue.

My case was in Montreal.

Yes, via zoom with other participants.
Thanks for replying, just curious was your job for a Canadian company or nothing to do with Canada? The reason Im asking is I might get a job in my home country. and how long did it take from test to oath for you?

SAD9

Aug 23, 2023
Thanks for replying, just curious was your job for a Canadian company or nothing to do with Canada? The reason Im asking is I might get a job in my home country. and how long did it take from test to oath for you?
No, not related to any Canadian company/government.