+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outside Canada - Oath of Citizenship

couture

Sep 21, 2018
Hello
My 12 year old daughter and I applied for canadian citizenship and our oath is scheduled for October 27 2022. But we live in US.
I am planning to go to Canada for taking oath instead of postponing. Should my girl also be present in canada on that day?
Also Can I leave Canada next day before getting citizenship certificate?
Thanks in advance
You can leave Canada the next day. This is just what I did a couple weeks ago. I was given a slightly hard time about it though as they 'recommended' in a kind of stern way that I should stay for at least 14 days following the oath. The presiding clerk ended up having to be called into my registration to clarify that it was up to me.

Also worth noting that the other poster saying that the certificate can be mailed to the US is incorrect, at least from my experience as someone who applied from within Canada right before moving to the US. They refused to mail it to the US and I had to provide a Canadian address. They also said that it couldn't be forwarded by Canada Post. Have a backup Canadian address handy. I'm dealing with how I'm going to get the certificate back to myself in the US now.

One other thing is that they made me show proof on the call that I was physically in Canada since my most recent address was a US one and I (truthfully) told them that I traveled up for the oath the day before. Luckily my hotel room had a view of Niagra Falls and I held my camera up to the window as proof which was accepted lol. Not sure how I would have answered that otherwise though and the question caught me off guard. I would think of an answer ahead of time for that. Maybe keep your travel itinerary handy or an arrive can receipt around in case they ask? Hopefully they're easier on you.

lechunayar

Mar 29, 2019
You can leave Canada the next day. This is just what I did a couple weeks ago. I was given a slightly hard time about it though as they 'recommended' in a kind of stern way that I should stay for at least 14 days following the oath. The presiding clerk ended up having to be called into my registration to clarify that it was up to me.

Also worth noting that the other poster saying that the certificate can be mailed to the US is incorrect, at least from my experience as someone who applied from within Canada right before moving to the US. They refused to mail it to the US and I had to provide a Canadian address. They also said that it couldn't be forwarded by Canada Post. Have a backup Canadian address handy. I'm dealing with how I'm going to get the certificate back to myself in the US now.

One other thing is that they made me show proof on the call that I was physically in Canada since my most recent address was a US one and I (truthfully) told them that I traveled up for the oath the day before. Luckily my hotel room had a view of Niagra Falls and I held my camera up to the window as proof which was accepted lol. Not sure how I would have answered that otherwise though and the question caught me off guard. I would think of an answer ahead of time for that. Maybe keep your travel itinerary handy or an arrive can receipt around in case they ask? Hopefully they're easier on you.
Thank you so so much for the detailed explanation. I would be embarassed if they ask me all these things during oath. Now I can mentally prepare to answer these questions. Defnitely I will keep all the documents to handle these kind of questions.
Once again thank you so much. I really appreciate your effort on explaining things.

Reactions: couture

Alsalma

Star Member
Apr 25, 2018
Hi, I just completed my test from outside of Canada. My query is in case I receive an oath invitation before I return to Canada, would it be possible to reschedule the oath ceremony? If yes, would there be a long wait before I get a second date in hand? Also, I've heard that IRCC doesn't keep the file for longer than 6 months. What does it mean? Is it 6 months from the oath invite? Please help and clarify my queries.
Hello! Did you receive your oath invite while still outside canada ? I am wondering if they pause the application processing until you notify them of being back inland... thank you !!

Reactions: Linear M

Nuug33

Mar 19, 2020
Good day.
my child is out of the country, Is it possible to attend the citizenship oath while my child is outside of Canada? we applied the citizenship together.
I know that its optional for the children under 14 to attend the citizenship oath.
please advice and thank you!

Linear M

Mar 7, 2017
Canada
Category........
Other
Good day.
my child is out of the country, Is it possible to attend the citizenship oath while my child is outside of Canada? we applied the citizenship together.
I know that its optional for the children under 14 to attend the citizenship oath.
please advice and thank you!
Yes possible

Traveler111

Mar 3, 2023
Anyone in same situation as me?
I have citizenship application in Canada. Oath date is coming soon.

At the same time I have application in USA based on marriage… I would like to stay longer and adjust my status in the USA because my wife is with me. She is bound in the US because of work.

Will Canada accept my request to take oath outside of Canada because I am waiting for advance parole from US and before that I cannot travel outside of the USA.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Anyone in same situation as me?
I have citizenship application in Canada. Oath date is coming soon.

At the same time I have application in USA based on marriage… I would like to stay longer and adjust my status in the USA because my wife is with me. She is bound in the US because of work.

Will Canada accept my request to take oath outside of Canada because I am waiting for advance parole from US and before that I cannot travel outside of the USA.
You can certainly try.

IMO the chances of an oath outside of Canada are likely very low for this scenario and you'll need to ask IRCC to postpone your date.

Reactions: Traveler111

Traveler111

Mar 3, 2023
You can certainly try.

IMO the chances of an oath outside of Canada are likely very low for this scenario and you'll need to ask IRCC to postpone your date.
do you know how long they can delay the path for rescheduling?

waiting in the USA for advance parole is over 6 months. :(

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
do you know how long they can delay the path for rescheduling?

waiting in the USA for advance parole is over 6 months. :(
I don't. Wait for others to comment.

Reactions: Traveler111

dipantika

Star Member
May 10, 2017
In case we leave Canada after we get citizenship certificate but before applying passport, can we apply for Canadian passport from outside of Canada?

dipantika

Star Member
May 10, 2017

Did you figure out a way to get your citizenship certificate to the US?

couture

Sep 21, 2018
Did you figure out a way to get your citizenship certificate to the US?
I ended up having it mailed to a work address in Montreal, and drove up to get it in person. Which was also slightly nerve wracking since I had to cross back into Canada with only my US passport and a photocopy of my certificate, but the agent was cool about it. I also took the opportunity to apply for my passport while I was in Montreal for the day which they were able to mail down to the US.

sehmuz

May 17, 2022
as per: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-93-246/page-2.html
in part:
  • 20 (1) Subject to subsection 5(3) of the Act and section 22 of these Regulations, a person who is 14 years of age or older on the day on which the person is granted citizenship under subsection 5(2) or (4) or 11(1) of the Act shall take the oath of citizenship by swearing or solemnly affirming it
    • (a) before a citizenship judge, if the person is in Canada; or
    • (b) before a foreign service officer, if the person is outside Canada.

I do interpret it is possible to have oath ceremony outside of Canda. is this correct?