AOR Received.
28/01/11
Med's Request
Med's Received
Med's Done....
02/10/10
Interview........
WAIVED
This question is for Outlanders whom are currently living in Canada.

If you decide to wait out the remaining process in Canada, I know you can send your passport to Buffalo or a specific location in Canada, when they give you PPR, and you can get the PR stamp (and then flagpole if you like).

If you're waiting out the process, and Buffalo decides they want an additional FBI background check or state police certificate... is there any way of obtaining these and getting these to Buffalo without leaving Canada? It's my understanding you'd need to go to a police station in the U.S. for fingerprinting (using the form they provide), and mail it in to the respective processing centers (West Virginia for FBI, and whatever particular states they want for state police certificates).

Also, if you wait out the process, and Buffalo calls you for an interview, you obviously must attend. If you go to the interview, and pass, but they don't issue you the visa the same-day, are you not at risk to possibly be denied re-entrance into Canada (assuming you have no job, and clearly tell them your intention to wait out the process in Canada)?

I'm weighing my options, and pondering whatever potential pitfalls might exist if I fly up and stay up, outside of not getting a paycheck, having travel insurance (or no insurance at all), and suffering from boredom.

Thanks for your feedback.

QCSunshine

Aug 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm an outlander in Canada, and I ordered the FBI report from here. Just got the prints done here and mailed it in. Haven't done the state reports, but I would think they might work the same way.

If I need to leave the country at some point for an interview or some other essential reason, my plan is to take a copy of entire application, all communication with immigration, bank info, and every other potentially helpful document I can think of, and hope for the best. And if I can't get back in, my back-up plan is to go stay with my family and friends until the application is finished being processed.

Travel insurance is a good move, if you have no US insurance that would cover you while here. You might find a US one would cover you for a while, since you would just be "visiting" Canada. Mine did. But then I eventually had to switch to a Canadian visitor/travel temporary insurance.

Good luck!

Pharoh

Oct 5, 2010
41° 59' N, 87° 54' W
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/11/10
Doc's Request.
WAIVED
AOR Received.
28/01/11
Med's Request
Med's Received
Med's Done....
02/10/10
Interview........
WAIVED
QCSunshine said:
I'm an outlander in Canada, and I ordered the FBI report from here. Just got the prints done here and mailed it in. Haven't done the state reports, but I would think they might work the same way.

If I need to leave the country at some point for an interview or some other essential reason, my plan is to take a copy of entire application, all communication with immigration, bank info, and every other potentially helpful document I can think of, and hope for the best. And if I can't get back in, my back-up plan is to go stay with my family and friends until the application is finished being processed.

Travel insurance is a good move, if you have no US insurance that would cover you while here. You might find a US one would cover you for a while, since you would just be "visiting" Canada. Mine did. But then I eventually had to switch to a Canadian visitor/travel temporary insurance.

Good luck!
Hi QCSunshine,

Thank you for sharing.

I see you applied back in October. Is your 6-month stay about up? Are you going to apply for an extension, or how is that going to work? What do you do to keep occupied most days? How much is your travel insurance, and can you briefly sum up what it covers?

Thanks again!

jmni1

Star Member
Apr 8, 2010
USA
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Med's Done....
19-04-2010
Interview........
31-01-2011
Passport Req..
31-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
31-01-2011
LANDED..........
01-02-2011
I stayed in Canada during my outland application and I see no reason why you would be denied at the border if you had an interview. I have never had a problme crossing the border (I did it 2 time by car). As long as you can show proof of your application in process you should have no problem coming back. I assume if you fly the odds are even better that you will not have problems. It was nice to have the option to stay with my husband during the PR process, yes I got bored not working but the time together is important. Also it is not likely that you will be called for an interview it is pretty rare, in my case I think I had an interview becasue I did not mail any pictures with my application.

QCSunshine

Aug 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was originally here on a work permit which recently expired, but I had requested a visitor extension almost a month before it expired. I asked for a year extension and they approved it. There are some threads on here about what to include when requestiong this, as it is important to include documentation that you have a PR app in progress.

To keep myself busy....well I am an artist and having been working on developing a project. It's unpaid anyways since I am in the research and development stage, so it works out well to have that to work on. I also am now in Francisation classes, which keep me busy and get me out of the house. I am glad that started since I was READY to have something specific to do again and interact with other people. The isolation and lack of structured activities has been a little challenging, but for me, it is worth it to me to be able to be with my husband.

The travel insurance was about 700 something for 6 months with Blue Cross Quebec. There is another thread that might be helpful regarding the insurance:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t56620.0.html