+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outland spousal sponsorship: sponsor is a student but have savings

quynhskyb

Jan 18, 2020
Hi all,

I am a Canadian citizen and currently in the process of outland spousal sponsorship (I have not submitted my application yet). A little bit of my background: I am currently an Engineering university student, and is 1.5 years away from my graduation (expected graduation in May 2021). My spouse is also a student who is graduating this June. Over the past few years, I've got the chance to get an internship and worked a few different jobs and have a savings of ~$40K. As I was going through the checklist, I saw the section Employment/Source of Income and as I am currently not working, I will need to provide documentation to show that I can support my spouse.

I have a detailed financial plan which can prove that by the theoretical time that my spouse sets foot on Canada, my savings will still be ~$40K. Now, I have two questions:

1) Does anyone have experience in spousal sponsorship while they're not working but have a definite plan and enough savings to show that they can support their spouse? Do you think it is okay for me to apply while currently not having a job? Would that increase the chance of my application being returned/refused?

2) Would it be more beneficial if I apply later this year, which means ideally my spouse will be in Canada by the time I graduate or a few months after my graduation, by when I can get a job and 100% sure to be able to support both of us; or would it be okay if I apply now, meaning ideally my spouse will be in Canada later this year and he can get a job to support us while I finish school - and we can also survive using my savings?
Any suggestion/opinion is greatly appreciated!

Thank you all!

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all,

I am a Canadian citizen and currently in the process of outland spousal sponsorship (I have not submitted my application yet). A little bit of my background: I am currently an Engineering university student, and is 1.5 years away from my graduation (expected graduation in May 2021). My spouse is also a student who is graduating this June. Over the past few years, I've got the chance to get an internship and worked a few different jobs and have a savings of ~$40K. As I was going through the checklist, I saw the section Employment/Source of Income and as I am currently not working, I will need to provide documentation to show that I can support my spouse.

I have a detailed financial plan which can prove that by the theoretical time that my spouse sets foot on Canada, my savings will still be ~$40K. Now, I have two questions:

1) Does anyone have experience in spousal sponsorship while they're not working but have a definite plan and enough savings to show that they can support their spouse? Do you think it is okay for me to apply while currently not having a job? Would that increase the chance of my application being returned/refused?

2) Would it be more beneficial if I apply later this year, which means ideally my spouse will be in Canada by the time I graduate or a few months after my graduation, by when I can get a job and 100% sure to be able to support both of us; or would it be okay if I apply now, meaning ideally my spouse will be in Canada later this year and he can get a job to support us while I finish school - and we can also survive using my savings?

Thank you all!
You should be ok with your current savings although it is very unusual for a Canadian man to get married while he is so young if you are still a student. Perhaps you are doing your masters. Are you paying for tuition and living costs because that would deplete a good portion of those savings over the next 1.5 years?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Without knowing that many details, to me it sounds generally okay on the income/employment side. Present your plan, but also note that your ability to save money while working an internship means you will be able to support yourself. I.e. your ability to work in gainful employment is already demonstrated.
It's okay (in my opinion) that your plan is to complete your studies while supporting yourself and your spouse based on savings, co-ops and internship - and you have a fallback in the sense that you could go part-time or leave school for a period if necessary. Obviously it would / could also help to refer to your spouse's professional experience and willingness to work (to the extent that you can demonstrate such).
Note, my comments are only with respect to the financial aspect.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all,

Thank you all!
With your savings and a solid plan, you will be fine. Many unemployed/student/stay-at-home/etc. people sponsor without issue. IRCC just needs to see that you can support yourselves without welfare.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You should be ok with your current savings although it is very unusual for a Canadian man to get married while he is so young if you are still a student. Perhaps you are doing your masters. Are you paying for tuition and living costs because that would deplete a good portion of those savings over the next 1.5 years?
Many Canadians, both male and female, get married young. It's really not unusual.