+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outland Spousal/Canadian Living Abroad (UK)

Edmegbc

Star Member
Oct 11, 2023
Hi all
I have been living in uk for 15 years, moved over for uni and ended up staying, getting married, divorced then remarried again! I need to return to Canada, my stepmoms health is declining and my father now needs help. My husband has no ties to Uk anymore, his daughter lives and works in the US and he has no contact with his immediate family here.
Stumped on a few things:
Intent to return to Canada- would a detailed letter explaining above be anough? We have savings, and will be living with my parents so I can do homecare for stepmom while my dad does his final season of work before retirement (works April-oct away so stepmom cannot be on her own that long anymore- early dementia issues)
Also, as my dad goes back to work end of April- that is when we will leave the uk for Canada. I’m working on the assumption his PR will not be done by then, therefore can we enter as dual intent, which I think we can, then update IRCC with in Canada address so his passport etc doesn’t need to go to London vfs?
We are ok with him waiting out PR and not working (have savings to live on for about a year) but can he apply for owp once we land or even before if we are Outland? Seems to be conflicting info here?
in a perfect world we’d be lucky and get PR in the current 6 months that I’ve been seeing here and on Reddit threads but want to plan for the worst
Also if any recent UK Outland have any timeline info would be appreciated.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Also, as my dad goes back to work end of April- that is when we will leave the uk for Canada. I’m working on the assumption his PR will not be done by then, therefore can we enter as dual intent, which I think we can, then update IRCC with in Canada address so his passport etc doesn’t need to go to London vfs?
-If you apply soon, there is at least a decent chance it may be done by April (UK citizens will often get the security parts cleared quickly because NATO / extensive security cooperation).
-If not, yes, you'd update address on arrival in Canada.

We are ok with him waiting out PR and not working (have savings to live on for about a year) but can he apply for owp once we land or even before if we are Outland? Seems to be conflicting info here?
Yes, on arrival, can't apply for the OWP from abrad. Although honestly with current processing, may be more likely to get the PR done before the OWP would come through.

I would note one thing - if you have reason to believe by march / april that the file is close to completion, and if working (not to mention income) is important to your spouse and you, it may be quicker/cleaner to wait until he gets the passport request. (There sometimes are delays in dealing with the in-country 'virtual landing' process for files that were outland). But not worth worrying about right now.

There are tracking sheets to compare, I'd just focus on getting it in quickly.

Edmegbc

Star Member
Oct 11, 2023
Thanks very much for your reply it is really helpful.
working right away isn’t too big an issue as we will come with savings. It’s potentially having flights booked and then VFS London has his passport that may be the issue

Reactions: armoured

Edmegbc

Star Member
Oct 11, 2023
And yes we are applying as soon as his uk police check arrives- it’s the only thing we are waiting for now! FBI check came thru quicker (he lived in the US for 10 years)
Always the way, first thing we sent off for and still waiting!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks very much for your reply it is really helpful.
working right away isn’t too big an issue as we will come with savings. It’s potentially having flights booked and then VFS London has his passport that may be the issue
Well, as noted, I'd wait until later to worry about that. But then it's not me buying tickets ))

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all
I have been living in uk for 15 years, moved over for uni and ended up staying, getting married, divorced then remarried again! I need to return to Canada, my stepmoms health is declining and my father now needs help. My husband has no ties to Uk anymore, his daughter lives and works in the US and he has no contact with his immediate family here.
Stumped on a few things:
Intent to return to Canada- would a detailed letter explaining above be anough? We have savings, and will be living with my parents so I can do homecare for stepmom while my dad does his final season of work before retirement (works April-oct away so stepmom cannot be on her own that long anymore- early dementia issues)
in a perfect world we’d be lucky and get PR in the current 6 months that I’ve been seeing here and on Reddit threads but want to plan for the worst
You need more than a letter of explanation proving your intent to return to Canada on a permanent basis.

Edmegbc

Star Member
Oct 11, 2023
What can we submit? It’s too early for us to give notice with our jobs and we can’t serve notice to our landlord this early either as we need an exact move out date to do that. Breaking tenancy in the UK becomes contractual by law once we put in writing we are leaving- ans without knowing when we will go we are in a catch 22
I have quotes for shipping/international removal and for having my dog transported but I’m at a loss as to what else I can supply given we are not going to be renting or buying in Canada for at least a year once we get to BC

Edmegbc

Star Member
Oct 11, 2023
I think I may have just answere my own question tbf. I’ve got the above that would demonstrate and also quotes for health insurance for both of us until msp kicks in
I also still have a Canadian bank account altho I don’t hold a large balance in it, normally transfer over funds before tips to Vancouver each year

I gave up my drivers licence years ago as I exchanged it with DVLA in uk and they apparently send it back to Canada

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What can we submit? It’s too early for us to give notice with our jobs and we can’t serve notice to our landlord this early either as we need an exact move out date to do that. Breaking tenancy in the UK becomes contractual by law once we put in writing we are leaving- ans without knowing when we will go we are in a catch 22
I have quotes for shipping/international removal and for having my dog transported but I’m at a loss as to what else I can supply given we are not going to be renting or buying in Canada for at least a year once we get to BC
Provide whatever you can and closer to the move date you’ll be able to provide more proof so update your application at that point

Edmegbc

Star Member
Oct 11, 2023
Provide whatever you can and closer to the move date you’ll be able to provide more proof so update your application at that point
Thanks loads- I’ve sent my landlord a note and asked him to reply with acknowledgement. He was aware we were doing this which is why he put a break clause in our current agreement.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks loads- I’ve sent my landlord a note and asked him to reply with acknowledgement. He was aware we were doing this which is why he put a break clause in our current agreement.
To the above (i.e. your notes about insurance, moving quotes), you can also include looking into things (and correspondence thereto) to help you settle, whether that might be looking into a vet, church, social clubs, professional qualifications, your correspondence (abridged) with your family and others about the move, job searches, etc.

Individually they may not seem like much but collectively may go a way to convincing them your intentions are serious.

Edmegbc

Star Member
Oct 11, 2023
Thank you very much for your response it is helpful.
I have also sent a request to SkilledTradeBC as my husband wishes to challenge his UK NVQ and get certified in BC and potentially red seal so I think that adds something to the pile!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you very much for your response it is helpful.
I have also sent a request to SkilledTradeBC as my husband wishes to challenge his UK NVQ and get certified in BC and potentially red seal so I think that adds something to the pile!
I don't know what any of that means but sounds like, yep, the type of thing someone would prepare in advance before actually moving. Oh, schools and other types of arrangements too. If spouse would need to take any skills upgrading courses, that too. Sign him up for a cooking course.

Edmegbc

Star Member
Oct 11, 2023
Thanks very much for the help on this thread.

I submitted quite a substantial PDF of proof of intent, using suggestions as above.

I thought it might be useful for other canadians living abroad who are submitting applications similar to ours, as when I tried to search this I got a lot of different information and some of it was quite vague. So in hopes that this will be enough (as do not know as yet) this is what I included in our initial application as proof of intent to settle.

• Letter from father confirming housing arrangements (live with them 6-9 months)
  • 2x shipping quotes, one container and one palleted freight
  • Letter of acknowledgement of leaving my UK job
  • screenshots of UK Tax steps to severe residency (reclaim any tax paid if under personal allowances)
  • screenshots of how to get drivers licence record from UK
  • copy of my UK residents card showing 31/12/2024 expiry
  • quotes for dog to travel by air and vets emails outlining steps for export into EU (travelling via France to have him in cabin)
  • screenshots of flights into YVR
  • Full list of house inventory divided by Goods to follow/goods to accopany/to sell/give away and screenshot of returning residents info from CBSA website
  • full list of things to do to close down UK accounts/utilities/council tax etc
  • screenshot of redirection instruction for Royal Mail to Vancouver Address for 6 months - I think this one is key for UK residents as you can schedule this 6 months in advance and you get a letter of confirmation with both addresses on it and lists all in the household. Really great piece of evidence (in my opinion)and a tip from Reddit.
  • Full list of to do list for arrival with priorities for 7/14/30/90 days once landed and address details for service canada and local ICBC offices
  • health insurance quotations for both returning resident (me) and for husband
  • storage quotes for household goods from 2 providers in Vancouver
  • confirmation of deposit only account opening for husband and screenshot of my canadian bank account
  • Note from friend confirming husband should let him know when he lands re work (carpentry and contracting)
  • job boards searches and screenshots for both of us
  • emails between me and 2 recruiment agencies in vancouver
  • email from husband to Skilledtrades on how to challenge UK carpentry qualifations in BC and onwards to Red Seal
  • emails from local dentist outlining details on new patient registration and how to send records from UK
  • emails from local vancouver community centre on steps for volunteer work
  • screenshots of how to exchange UK vehicle and motorcycle licences and husband Class 1 & 2 exam resits for UK qualifications
  • Plus another list that outlines things needed closer to the time

I hope this helps anyone in similar position - I am still in the process of adding more as we get closer, just in case more information is requested
Ive seen applications where not even half is supplied and there has been no issue, and when more than what I have sent is challenged. So just continuing to prepare for a potential interview or more information request

Forum has been a wealth of info - and so glad I found it before I hit submit!!!

Reactions: YVR123 and armoured