+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Outland Sponsorship (Vietnam) - Sudden interview request

vlong

Oct 1, 2014
Hello everyone,

I applied to sponsor my wife from Vietnam back in March 2014. A few weeks ago, around the middle of September, the VISA office in Vietnam informed my wife that they were in the process of completing our application and requested that she send her Passport. Yesterday, under the assumption that she would be going to pick up her passport with her PR card, she hurriedly flew in to Ho Chi Minh city only to instead be given a letter that stated she would be required to undergo an additional interview. The date and time for this interview has not been determined yet and the waiting list is roughly 24 months.

Safe to say, both my wife and I were incredibly distraught. I had already started to plan for her arrival and was literally jumping for joy over the fact that we'd be able to spend our upcoming anniversary together in Canada. While I am aware that the need for interviews varies between applications, I don't understand why there is this sudden need after CIC told her our application was in its final stages of completion. Is this a normal occurrence? Should I be worried that something is wrong with our application?

At this point I am both incredibly confused and disheartened. If anyone has some insights they'd be willing to share it would be very much appreciated.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
It could be something as simple as they want to just verify some information with her in person hence the interview.

I doubt it is your application.

Is it possible someone in one of your families may have sent a 'poison pen' letter to the embassy telling lies and/or stories about your relationship with your wife? Sometimes things like that happen and they must determine it if it the truth, and the easiest way to do that is to have an interview.

Also, if your wife didn't declare something important, like a previous marriage or children, sometimes that kind of information is brought to the attention of CIC and they must determine a reason why.

There are so many different reasons, but I would not worry too much if I were you. It sounds as if it is just to clarify information and so long as it's all good with you and her, you'll be fine. Just have to try to take a deep breath and be patient.

If you really want to see what triggered it. Order her GCMS notes. There should be something there stating why the interview was called. It will also help you to gather any documents you might need to alleviate whatever the concern is.

Best of luck to you.

vlong

Oct 1, 2014
Alurra71 said:
It could be something as simple as they want to just verify some information with her in person hence the interview.

I doubt it is your application.

Is it possible someone in one of your families may have sent a 'poison pen' letter to the embassy telling lies and/or stories about your relationship with your wife? Sometimes things like that happen and they must determine it if it the truth, and the easiest way to do that is to have an interview.

Also, if your wife didn't declare something important, like a previous marriage or children, sometimes that kind of information is brought to the attention of CIC and they must determine a reason why.

There are so many different reasons, but I would not worry too much if I were you. It sounds as if it is just to clarify information and so long as it's all good with you and her, you'll be fine. Just have to try to take a deep breath and be patient.

If you really want to see what triggered it. Order her GCMS notes. There should be something there stating why the interview was called. It will also help you to gather any documents you might need to alleviate whatever the concern is.

Best of luck to you.
Thank you very much. I think having GCMS notes will definitely leave me more at ease.

That said, would you have the links regarding the steps I would need to take in order to order them?

M

mikeymyke

That really sucks. Scary at the same time, considering you and I have identical timelines and city of origin, though my wife will submit her passport tomorrow. Did they at least return her passport back?

I don't think the relationship genuineness is an issue, like Alurra mentioned, maybe they just wanted to verify information or someone wrote a poison pen letter, or there was an issue with the criminal record check. Is there anyone who is potentially opposed to your relationship or someone who does not get along with you at all, like an ex or your wife's ex, etc?
Did your ecas say In Process before the passport request?

I hope the same thing doesn't happen to my wife, though at least she has a visitor visa till 2019 :(

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Definitely order GCMS notes. All anyone can do here is speculate, but notes will tell you what's actually going on.

See this link on how to order them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_E_dq_uLVo

hoahager

Star Member
Mar 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2012
AOR Received.
24-11-2012
File Transfer...
20-12-2012
Med's Request
05-12-2014
Med's Done....
08-12-2014
Interview........
27-11-2014
Passport Req..
Hope soon
There are many cases like yours in Vietnam recently and no one know reason. They just wait till interview date, many plans have to stop and wives lost their job because they quit job when receiving pp request from CIC Singapore. It's very bad situation for Sing Office.

M

mikeymyke

hoahager said:
There are many cases like yours in Vietnam recently and no one know reason. They just wait till interview date, many plans have to stop and wives lost their job because they quit job when receiving pp request from CIC Singapore. It's very bad situation for Sing Office.
Well I dont know why some people would quit their job after PPR, as a PPR is not a guarantee that a visa is issued. Even the PPR document says, "DO NOT commit to any travel plans, purchase tickets, or take irrevocable action such as selling property or terminating employment until you have received your passport and immigration visa(s).

hoahager

Star Member
Mar 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2012
AOR Received.
24-11-2012
File Transfer...
20-12-2012
Med's Request
05-12-2014
Med's Done....
08-12-2014
Interview........
27-11-2014
Passport Req..
Hope soon
mikeymyke said:
Well I dont know why some people would quit their job after PPR, as a PPR is not a guarantee that a visa is issued. Even the PPR document says, "DO NOT commit to any travel plans, purchase tickets, or take irrevocable action such as selling property or terminating employment until you have received your passport and immigration visa(s).
Sure, we should not quit our job without visa on hand even visa on hand they still recall it, nothing is certain. I think they believe their case is finalized and no change any more. Just recently, CIC Sing change their working way and final review will be changed anytime. It's unlucky for whom in that situation.

Vietnam2013

Star Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mississauga
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Vietnam
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2013
Doc's Request.
Received interview letter October 8, 2014
Nomination.....
Ecas now reads application recieved October 14, 2014, from In Process
AOR Received.
August 15, 2013
File Transfer...
August 15, 2013
Med's Request
1st medical sent with sponsorship application
Med's Done....
2nd medical request July 15, 2014
Interview........
Interview date has not been given yet.
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014, return October 14, 2014
vlong,

Don't feel left out. You have company. We are also on the interview queue.
Like bad kids in elementary school. We had to wait a years before they called us into the principal office. :'(
These clowns in Ottawa pissed away one year of our lives. :eek:
Maybe another 24 month to be pissed away as well. :mad:

But the show much go on! We are waiting on CIC to return our passport so that we can take a small trip over to Thailand, Cambodia and the near by region. I have not seen my spouse in a while, so I'm looking forward to my trip back to Saigon. I had my holiday booked for next month with hopes of us returning to Canada together. For the time being, we'll just enjoy each other's company while we wait for this circus show to unfold.

vlong

Oct 1, 2014
Thank you very much for all the helpful advice everyone. The first couple of days were so overwhelming for us that my wife developed appendix pains due to all the stress.

It puts me at ease to know we're not the only ones stuck in this unusual situation though. My wife even heard a story of someone who had her visa taken back THREE DAYS after it was issued and called for an interview. Here's hoping this is all a formality and wishing everyone else the best of luck.

M

mikeymyke

Have you considered applying for a visitor visa for your wife vlong? It's a bit of a longshot, but if she's approved for a multiple, then that would help ease the stress a bit.

In light of all this news, my wife and I already made alternate plans should she get a phantom interview letter too. Her multiple TRV will help out a lot, but we're really hoping to see a Decision Made at least :(

Really sorry about this guys, it's strange because the only cases I've heard of interview after PPR were all Vietnamese cases. I really don't get why they would ask for a passport if they already made a determination beforehand, that an interview is required. Either that, or after they determined an interview was not needed, they ask for passport, but at this stage, they're supposed to do a final background and medical check. So if they request an interveiw after that, maybe there is a problem with your guys' criminal and medical?

vlong

Oct 1, 2014
mikeymyke said:
Have you considered applying for a visitor visa for your wife vlong? It's a bit of a longshot, but if she's approved for a multiple, then that would help ease the stress a bit.

In light of all this news, my wife and I already made alternate plans should she get a phantom interview letter too. Her multiple TRV will help out a lot, but we're really hoping to see a Decision Made at least :(

Really sorry about this guys, it's strange because the only cases I've heard of interview after PPR were all Vietnamese cases. I really don't get why they would ask for a passport if they already made a determination beforehand, that an interview is required. Either that, or after they determined an interview was not needed, they ask for passport, but at this stage, they're supposed to do a final background and medical check. So if they request an interveiw after that, maybe there is a problem with your guys' criminal and medical?
We've never actually considered applying for a temporary visa. I'm not all too familiar with the immigration process, so correct me if I'm wrong, but would it not prolong our PR application (since it sort of turns the application into an inland sponsorship application)?

If they had requested an interview right from the get-go I wouldn't be as worried. But since they requested an interview AFTER supposedly reaching a decision it makes me wonder if there are any unique problems concerning our case. I'm fairly confident my wife doesn't have any problems in terms of criminal background and health. The only thing I could think of is that we're drawing near the expiry date of her first medical check, which means she'll have to go get checked up a second time. Right now I'm just waiting on the delivery of her GCMS notes so I can get a clearer understanding of what's going on with our application.

Really hope you guys don't fall into the same odd situation as us.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
vlong said:
We've never actually considered applying for a temporary visa. I'm not all too familiar with the immigration process, so correct me if I'm wrong, but would it not prolong our PR application (since it sort of turns the application into an inland sponsorship application)?
No - applying for a TRV won't prolong the process and won't turn your application into an inland application. It will still be an outland application. (You can't turn an outland application into an inland application - or an inland application into an outland application. If you want to change from one to the other, you have to withdraw your first application and resubmit a new application.)

Vietnam2013

Star Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mississauga
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Vietnam
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2013
Doc's Request.
Received interview letter October 8, 2014
Nomination.....
Ecas now reads application recieved October 14, 2014, from In Process
AOR Received.
August 15, 2013
File Transfer...
August 15, 2013
Med's Request
1st medical sent with sponsorship application
Med's Done....
2nd medical request July 15, 2014
Interview........
Interview date has not been given yet.
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014, return October 14, 2014
Scylla,

Thank you for providing your insight and helpful information on the forum over the years. ;D

Your input to this next question is much appreciated, and anyone wishing to share theirs experience on it is also welcome.

Since we are now on the interview queue list, while I understand the interview can be requested by the CIC officer at anytime for any number of reasons. Does it make any sense at this point to be applying for a visitor travel visa? Personally, I feel the travel visa would be a wasted effort, time and money. Does it not seem we are using a back door / option 2 strategy in the eye of CIC? I do not see why they would not close that option.

This situation reminds me of when I was a kid, I use to go to my other parents if one of them said no to me, but most of the time they coordinate their decision with each other. :'(

M

mikeymyke

That really sucks, I really feel for you guys.

What are you guys going to do in the mean time?