+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Out of Canada, OHIP and Pregnancy

angel1287

Star Member
Mar 22, 2013
That is only very specific circumstances. You are expected to report to OHIP if you have been out of Ontario for 212 days in 12 months. If you don't and keep on using your health card without reported long absences you could be committing healthcare fraud. In general if you remain out of Ontario for 7 months you must reapply for OhIP and start the 3 month waiting period. This is for citizens or PRs.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/ohip/docs/longer_absences_fs_en.pdf
Yes i will report
But if u see the quote of other absences ir says the following

“To be eligible for continuous OHIP coverage during your first absence of this type, you must typically be physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days in each of the 2 consecutive years before the absence.”
So I talked to service ontario n they told me to fill form of temporary absence from country to not wait for 3 months
But I want to be sure I understood correct

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes i will report
But if u see the quote of other absences ir says the following

“To be eligible for continuous OHIP coverage during your first absence of this type, you must typically be physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days in each of the 2 consecutive years before the absence.”
So I talked to service ontario n they told me to fill form of temporary absence from country to not wait for 3 months
But I want to be sure I understood correct
You or your wife don't fit any of the 3 potential exceptions so you should not have coverage after 7 months but if you report your absence and the clerk makes an error it's their fault not yours,

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I guess there’s some confusion
Will call service ontario to confirm!
]
Unfortunately one of the problems is that often staff don't know what they are talking about. If you look at seniors that may decide to go away for the winter. They are always careful to stay under the 7 months. Look at the website and the literature or get email confirmation of any advice. Also consider why the government would want to cover residents who have been out of Canada for a long time when they also haven't been paying taxes.

angel1287

Star Member
Mar 22, 2013
]
Unfortunately one of the problems is that often staff don't know what they are talking about. If you look at seniors that may decide to go away for the winter. They are always careful to stay under the 7 months. Look at the website and the literature or get email confirmation of any advice. Also consider why the government would want to cover residents who have been out of Canada for a long time when they also haven't been paying taxes.
Yes theres a change of information form referred by service ontario where u fill for ur temporary absence and it states that ohip might be eligible during vacation or for any other reason apart from study/work
It permits first absence for more than 7 months if u fulfilled staying 5 months in the prior 1 year span before u left
But still need to confirm

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
https://www.ontario.ca/page/ohip-coverage-while-outside-canada#section-4

Even ministry of health states so under section away from Ontario for more than 7 months
Thanks for including that I have learned something new. Most people do not meet these conditions because their primary home is not in Canada or have been refused because it does say "may be eligible" in many of the websites. In your case it seems to say you need to meet residency requirements for the 5 years before the extended absence if it is not due to charitable work or work because it falls under vacation or other. Best to get clarification in writing. Seems like you may be ok but perhaps not your wife.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/ohip/docs/longer_absences_fs_en.pdf