+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Out of Canada, OHIP and Pregnancy

Nizampak

Dec 22, 2017
Hi All

Me : PRC holder, Wife: Canadian, 2 Children: Born Canadian

We have been living outside Canada as I was employed in Pakistan. We are planning to move to Canada in March'18 and our third baby is arriving in April'18. The OHIP of my wife expired in Oct'17. We want our third baby to be born in Canada. My wife's bank account is active in Canada and we have requested bank to issue the bank statement, which we hope will be delivered before we arrive there.

If we have 1. OHIP renewal form, 2. bank statement and 3. the Canadian Passport, will there be any issue in getting the OHIP renewed?

Will we need any further document to get the renewal?

And if the renewal is done in March, will OHIP cover the delivery cost(if its done in April) and OHIP Card is not received?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi All

We have been living outside Canada as I was employed in Pakistan. We are planning to move to Canada in March'18 and our third baby is arriving in April'18. The OHIP of my wife expired in Oct'17. We want our third baby to be born in Canada. My wife's bank account is active in Canada and we have requested bank to issue the bank statement, which we hope will be delivered before we arrive there.

If we have 1. OHIP renewal form, 2. bank statement and 3. the Canadian Passport, will there be any issue in getting the OHIP renewed?

And if the renewal is done in March, will OHIP cover the delivery cost(if its done in April) and OHIP Card is not received?
She will not qualify for OHIP until June. If you try to circumvent the wait period by lying about your residency and being out of Canada, you will be committing fraud.

You will be required to pay for the delivery and every other cost out of pocket.

Reactions: scylla

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Moving back to Canada from Pakistan in March 2018 for a delivery in April 2018 assume the OP has checked with the airline they plan to fly with that they will accept travel long haul? As the mother is Canadian the child will be born a Canadian whichever country they are born in anyway.

Reactions: scylla

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi All

1. The airline may not allow her to board the plane that close to due date.

2. Your wife must wait 3 months to be covered for OHIP as there is a waiting period in Ontario even for returning citizens. During these 3 months, all medical costs (including delivery and any follow up care) must be paid out of pocket. I would budget at least $10,000 for the delivery cost and hope there are no complications.

As mentioned above, if she attempts to pretend she was not out of Canada and tries to use OHIP, that is serious healthcare fraud and she could be fined afterwards. She needs to inform OHIP on how long she was outside Canada, and let them decide what to do.

Nizampak

Dec 22, 2017
Thank you all for the quick and informative replies.

1. I would like to know if my wife had stayed for more than six months in 2013/2014 in Canada while she had applied for the OHIP for the first time. She had again stayed in Canada for approximately 3 months in 2015. Is it necessary for her to stay there again for renewal for wait for three months for OHIP coverage?

2. We had been told by friends in Canada that Service Ontario usually issues a temporary paper health card at the time of renewal which covers any medical situation until you receive the card(which take approximately 4-6 weeks).

3. Can you confirm if we will need any more document other than mentioned below for OHIP renewal?
a. OHIP renewal form
b. bank statement and
c. the Canadian Passport

4. What will be the cost if we opt for Midwife and how safe it will be if there are no complications?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

1. I would like to know if my wife had stayed for more than six months in 2013/2014 in Canada while she had applied for the OHIP for the first time. She had again stayed in Canada for approximately 3 months in 2015. Is it necessary for her to stay there again for renewal for wait for three months for OHIP coverage?

Yes all the members of your family must wait 3 months to be covered by OHIP including your wife.

2. We had been told by friends in Canada that Service Ontario usually issues a temporary paper health card at the time of renewal which covers any medical situation until you receive the card(which take approximately 4-6 weeks).

You will be given a temporary card which is a piece of paper just in case the card arrives after 3 months. You friends are wrong.

3. Can you confirm if we will need any more document other than mentioned below for OHIP renewal?
a. OHIP renewal form
b. bank statement and
c. the Canadian Passport

4. What will be the cost if we opt for Midwife and how safe it will be if there are no complications?
Not sure about the cost of a midwife but most likely their practices is already full. You usually have to book a midwife early in your pregnancy because there isn't enough of them. The cost would also depend on whether it was a hospital or home birth.

Does your wife actually meet the RO? I would also be concerned that you were only in the country for 3 monthd for the birth of your second child. How was that covered by OHIP? If you were only in the country for 3 months OHIP will want to be reimbursed.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012

Staying the 5 of 12 months is a continuing requirement.

If she moved out in 2014, then returned to use healthcare in 2015 and left after just 3 months, she has most likely committed serious healthcare fraud. If this is ever discovered by OHIP, they would come after her for heavy fines and to re-pay all costs.

This is only if she meets the OHIP residency requirement, which she does NOT. So she must first go through 3 month waiting period, and only then can get access to OHIP.

a. OHIP renewal form
b. bank statement and
c. the Canadian Passport

As mentioned, she probably won't find a midwife since they will all be booked already.

If she can find one, they are perfectly safe as long as no complications and can do a natural birth.

I would budget at least $10,000 Cdn for the delivery to be safe.

angel1287

Star Member
Mar 22, 2013
I hv a question
Iam a Pr and husband a canadian citizen
Our baby would be born in India and i would be returning after few months
How will my baby who would be a canadian citizen be eligible fpr OHIP?
Would he/she be immediately eligible or would there be a waiting period??

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I hv a question
Iam a Pr and husband a canadian citizen
Our baby would be born in India and i would be returning after few months
How will my baby who would be a canadian citizen be eligible fpr OHIP?
Would he/she be immediately eligible or would there be a waiting period??
The baby will have a 3 month waiting period. You and your wife will also have a 3 month waiting period if out of Canada for 212 days in a 12 month period. You actually are responsible for advising OHIP if you plan on being out of Canada for an extended amount of time.

angel1287

Star Member
Mar 22, 2013
The baby will have a 3 month waiting period. You and your wife will also have a 3 month waiting period if out of Canada for 212 days in a 12 month period. You actually are responsible for advising OHIP if you plan on being out of Canada for an extended amount of time.
But the website says if u lived in ontario for 153 days in the prior 2 years of ur absence n if u hv already hv a pr car

angel1287

Star Member
Mar 22, 2013
But i already hv a valid health card
N the website of ministry n health ontario says if i m outside for more than 7 months i need to present proof of being in country for 153 days immediately in 2 years prior to my absence n ontario should be my primary residence.that way i dont loose my ohip coverage

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
But i already hv a valid health card
N the website of ministry n health ontario says if i m outside for more than 7 months i need to present proof of being in country for 153 days immediately in 2 years prior to my absence n ontario should be my primary residence.that way i dont loose my ohip coverage
That is only very specific circumstances. You are expected to report to OHIP if you have been out of Ontario for 212 days in 12 months. If you don't and keep on using your health card without reported long absences you could be committing healthcare fraud. In general if you remain out of Ontario for 7 months you must reapply for OhIP and start the 3 month waiting period. This is for citizens or PRs.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/publications/ohip/docs/longer_absences_fs_en.pdf