+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Other Relative

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Yea I called them to confirm...otherwise the link below does clearly states under the Other Relative section that you can sponsor any blood relative given that you don't have spouse, children, parents, siblings, grandparents, niece, nephews, and that you don't have any uncle, aunt, or any other relative already in Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/other-relatives/who-you-can-sponsor.html

And yes, the call center people do say that the ultimate decision is of the visa officer.
Right but you can only sponsor extended family…dad’s cousin is not extended family. It is uncle, aunt, first cousin etc. Start the process because it will take a few years to get a response.

paki786

Dec 14, 2010
Any idea what the processing times are like for Abu Dhabi office? I checked on IRCC website and it says no processing times available for Other Relative category.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yea I called them to confirm...otherwise the link below does clearly states under the Other Relative section that you can sponsor any blood relative given that you don't have spouse, children, parents, siblings, grandparents, niece, nephews, and that you don't have any uncle, aunt, or any other relative already in Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/other-relatives/who-you-can-sponsor.html

And yes, the call center people do say that the ultimate decision is of the visa officer.
Unfortunately the call centre is often wrong. I would at least try to get the answer in writing.

Reactions: paki786

Estefania

Star Member
Mar 29, 2018
It depends on the case I think. My dad applied to sponsor me as Other Relative since I'm overage and he is lonely, inside Canada. Thought it would take years but we applied in July this year and October 13th I passed all the medical exams. Just waiting for my pr. Good luck

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
It depends on the case I think. My dad applied to sponsor me as Other Relative since I'm overage and he is lonely, inside Canada. Thought it would take years but we applied in July this year and October 13th I passed all the medical exams. Just waiting for my pr. Good luck
OP is applying from Abu Dhabi office.

And you are much younger and already inside Canada. You are also a son (pretty sure that's blood relative vs the question OP has) for a lonely Canadian.
I think the medical, health, background and police check for your case all went throught quickly and smoothly. Since some of those are already done/have records at IRCC from your previous visa applications.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
OP is applying from Abu Dhabi office.

And you are much younger and already inside Canada. You are also a son (pretty sure that's blood relative vs the question OP has) for a lonely Canadian.
I think the medical, health, background and police check for your case all went throught quickly and smoothly. Since some of those are already done/have records at IRCC from your previous visa applications.
Agree the OP is wanting to sponsor his dad’s cousin (don’t know how far removed).