+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Other Relative

paki786

Dec 14, 2010
Who would sponsor him? The person sponsoring would have to be a lonely Canadian - not married, no children/parents/grandparents and no family in Canada.
That's correct. A lonely canadian. Parents and grandparents are deceased. No siblings. Divorced. No children. No other family/relative in Canada. So can that lonely Canadian sponsor his dad's cousin?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That's correct. A lonely canadian. Parents and grandparents are deceased. No siblings. Divorced. No children. No other family/relative in Canada. So can that lonely Canadian sponsor his dad's cousin?
If it is your dad’s cousin that is your second cousin which I believe is too far removed for sponsorship.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I called IRCC and they said yes I can sponsor him.
Ok you got your answer. Why didn't you just say you are the lonely Canadian? If you are the lonely Canadian then you are sponsoring your nephew. Just so you know you called a "call centre" and they are not VOs.

paki786

Dec 14, 2010
Ok you got your answer. Why didn't you just say you are the lonely Canadian? If you are the lonely Canadian then you are sponsoring your nephew. Just so you know you called a "call centre" and they are not VOs.
You are still lost. As explained before, a lonely Canadian wants to sponsor his dad's cousin, not his nephew.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You are still lost. As explained before, a lonely Canadian wants to sponsor his dad's cousin, not his nephew.
You have your answer since you called and an agent said you could sponsor your dad’s cousin. Find that surprising since that is not even considered extended family. Anyways, all the best.

paki786

Dec 14, 2010
Yea I called them to confirm...otherwise the link below does clearly states under the Other Relative section that you can sponsor any blood relative given that you don't have spouse, children, parents, siblings, grandparents, niece, nephews, and that you don't have any uncle, aunt, or any other relative already in Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/other-relatives/who-you-can-sponsor.html

And yes, the call center people do say that the ultimate decision is of the visa officer.