+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OSAP eligibility for brother

Cristi22

May 12, 2018
Hello everyone. I would appreciate some help with a query. My older brother is planning to attend university along with me in Toronto in September. I will be studying on a student permit but he is a Canadian citizen. He has never lived in Canada before, though. We were wondering if he could apply for OSAP upon arriving in July. He does not have a SIN yet, planning to get one upon arriving. We have tried reading up on the OSAP website, but cannot find any clarification to his special case. The information is kind of confusing and its very vague about the 12 months residency requirements.
A relative who lives in Toronto assured him that he would get it because she knows of a case similar to his, but we are still not sure. She says that the rules have changed and the 12 months residency is not really required.
Is there anyone here who can help answer our queries? We would be so grateful.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone. I would appreciate some help with a query. My older brother is planning to attend university along with me in Toronto in September. I will be studying on a student permit but he is a Canadian citizen. He has never lived in Canada before, though. We were wondering if he could apply for OSAP upon arriving in July. He does not have a SIN yet, planning to get one upon arriving. We have tried reading up on the OSAP website, but cannot find any clarification to his special case. The information is kind of confusing and its very vague about the 12 months residency requirements.
A relative who lives in Toronto assured him that he would get it because she knows of a case similar to his, but we are still not sure. She says that the rules have changed and the 12 months residency is not really required.
Is there anyone here who can help answer our queries? We would be so grateful.
Seems crazy but yes he qualifies for OSAP.

Cristi22

May 12, 2018
Thanks canuck78, Great to hear! If anyone else has similar experience with such a case I would love to hear your input!

Cristi22

May 12, 2018
Hi everyone, just an update. My brother and I arrived in Canada late July and he immediately obtained his SIN and applied for OSAP. Happy to say he got approved and its now in the final stages. He already got a notice of how much he will get and when he should expect to receive it.