+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Original Document or Certified Copy??

vivosvoco

Star Member
Oct 31, 2018
The translator translates the original document, but he/she has to provide a copy with their stamp and signature in order to show IRCC that they translated the original of that document.
Ok, let's get this straight --- you need 4 things:
  1. the original document
  2. translation
  3. affidavit
  4. certified copy
Translation & affidavit come from the translator. As for certified copy, see the content in #29, which does not mention that the certified copy has to come from the translator. In fact, I doubt most translators are given the power to certify the copy. You often go to the notary public or lawyer to have a copy certified, at lease to my knowledge.

uppperkut

Jan 28, 2017
Somewhere in ON
Ok, let's get this straight --- you need 4 things:
  1. the original document
  2. translation
  3. affidavit
  4. certified copy
Translation & affidavit come from the translator. As for certified copy, see the content in #29, which does not mention that the certified copy has to come from the translator. In fact, I doubt most translators are given the power to certify the copy.
I don't see the point of attaching a certified true copy by the notary when you're uploading the original.

How can IRCC know that the translation belongs to the document you're uploading if the translation is in a separate paper?

vivosvoco

Star Member
Oct 31, 2018
I don't see the point of attaching a certified true copy by the notary when you're uploading the original.

How can IRCC know that the translation belongs to the document you're uploading if the translation is in a separate paper?
You are free to skip it, but you also take the chance of being rejected. It is up to you, really.

As for the second concern of yours, I think that is why they ask for an affidavit. I am sure that it would not be much of a problem for them to send the files for a 2nd screening if needed.

uppperkut

Jan 28, 2017
Somewhere in ON
You are free to skip it, but you also take the chance of being rejected. It is up to you, really.

As for the second concern of yours, I think that is why they ask for an affidavit. I am sure that it would not be much of a problem for them to send the files for a 2nd screening if needed.
I already got my PR without including any certified "true" copies. True copies are one thing, certified copies by the translator are another. True copies can replace the original because they are provided by the public notary. But since you are uploading the original, then IRCC don't need any notary certified copies.

My translator attached document "A" which is a photocopy signed and stamped, as well as "B" which is the translation. Both "A" and "B" were mentioned in the affidavit describing what they are.

Anyway, let's hope it goes well for OP.

vivosvoco

Star Member
Oct 31, 2018
I already got my PR without including any certified "true" copies. True copies are one thing, certified copies by the translator are another. True copies can replace the original because they are provided by the public notary. But since you are uploading the original, then IRCC don't need any notary certified copies.

My translator attached document "A" which is a photocopy signed and stamped, as well as "B" which is the translation. Both "A" and "B" were mentioned in the affidavit describing what they are.

Anyway, let's hope it goes well for OP.
You better make sure that your translator has the authority to certify any copy. Depending on the country, unauthorized person certifying copies can be a crime and thus render your document invalid.

Each VO takes cases differently, so if costing a few more bucks and time buys some reassurance, do it. Otherwise, just don't whine when a rejection hits the face.

My suggestion to the OP: do NOT "take one for the team", unless your CRS is skyrocketing high and you are loaded.

uppperkut

Jan 28, 2017
Somewhere in ON
You better make sure that your translator has the authority to certify any copy. Depending on the country, unauthorized person certifying copies can be a crime and thus render your document invalid.

Each VO takes cases differently, so if costing a few more bucks and time buys some reassurance, do it. Otherwise, just don't whine when a rejection hits the face.

My suggestion to the OP: do NOT "take one for the team", unless your CRS is skyrocketing high and you are loaded.
Agreed.

Wedding Crasher

Jan 29, 2018
Hey Guys , I got PPR. Apparently the translations were accepted without any issue of not having certified copies. I believe what saved the whole thing was that the documents (original,translation,copy of original without certification) were electronically sealed and assigned a specific seal number for each translation done. That way if IRCC wants to check the authenticity of the documents, they can just contact the translators and request the documents for that specific seal number.

s3nr1

Star Member
May 11, 2013
Hey Guys , I got PPR. Apparently the translations were accepted without any issue of not having certified copies. I believe what saved the whole thing was that the documents (original,translation,copy of original without certification) were electronically sealed and assigned a specific seal number for each translation done. That way if IRCC wants to check the authenticity of the documents, they can just contact the translators and request the documents for that specific seal number.
Hi, did you do paper base application, so you sent the original and a non certified photocopy of the original ?

Or you sent them to the translator and they sealed it. Which translator did you use that can do this. Thanks.

VjolaBushaj

Feb 3, 2019
Hello Seniors! Would really appreciate the help on a very confusing matter. I found various threads about this topic, but no definite answer.
There is a big confusion going on about the translations accompanying documents in languages other than English or French. The confusion comes from the official CIC website itself. Here is the part:

Translation of documents
If a supporting document is in a language other than English or French, the applicant must provide IRCC with a copy of the original document as well as a version translated by a certified translator.

If a supporting document is in a language other than English or French, the applicant must provide IRCC with:

• the English or French translation; and
  • an affidavit from the person who completed the translations; and
  • a certified photocopy of the original document.
The two paragraphs give really different information. So this naturally raises the questions:

1-When uploading the translations, should it be accompanied by the original version of the document OR the certified copy OR maybe even both.
2-If it's a certified copy, how does it work?... Does the translator simply make a copy of the original document and stamp it or something to link it with the translation?

What I have is:
-Original Document
-Translated version
-Affidavit linked to the translation stating that it's true to the original document

Would truly appreciate advice!
Hello,
I'm having the same query.
Did you just upload your original version of the document or the certified copy?
Did you get your PR?