+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Options to re-enter Canada with expired PR cards

Sricand

Aug 13, 2016
Dear Helpful members,

Although I found many threads addressing this issue, my situation is a bit unique. I did a soft landing in 2016 and got my PR card. I entered Canada with a job in Jan 2018 worked until Feb 2020 and left Canada. I am outside Canada while writing this query. My PR card expired in 2021. My family got their PR in Nov 2018 and stayed with me till we all left in 2020. Their PRs expired in Nov 2023. In addition to our expired PR cards, we all have our expired Health Cards and Driving Licenses (me and my wife) which we secured in 2018. We also have our SIN numbers. I have filed Canadian taxes for the entire time from 2018-2023.

Now I have decided to relocate to Canada by Dec 2024. We do not have an issue getting US visit visa. Key questions are as follows:
1. Is it a good option to rent a car from US and drive via Canadian border with an expired PR card and a valid passport?
2. In the event, we are able to enter Canada, do we necessarily need to fulfill the 2 year minimum residency period prior to applying for our PR cards? The reason for my question is that I may need to travel out of Canada on business trips frequently. Is it possible for me to do land crossings to US and take business trips and come back to Canada via land?
3. With the expired PR cards, can I still lead a normal life in Canada- enrolling my kids in secondary school, obtain new Health Cards, DLs, purchasing property?
4. Will having a job offer in Canada increase the chance of us to be let in via the land border with expired cards? Alternatively, will a job offer letter increase our chance to get PRTD approved for air travel?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Regards
Sri

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dear Helpful members,

Although I found many threads addressing this issue, my situation is a bit unique. I did a soft landing in 2016 and got my PR card. I entered Canada with a job in Jan 2018 worked until Feb 2020 and left Canada. I am outside Canada while writing this query. My PR card expired in 2021. My family got their PR in Nov 2018 and stayed with me till we all left in 2020. Their PRs expired in Nov 2023. In addition to our expired PR cards, we all have our expired Health Cards and Driving Licenses (me and my wife) which we secured in 2018. We also have our SIN numbers. I have filed Canadian taxes for the entire time from 2018-2023.

Now I have decided to relocate to Canada by Dec 2024. We do not have an issue getting US visit visa. Key questions are as follows:
1. Is it a good option to rent a car from US and drive via Canadian border with an expired PR card and a valid passport?
2. In the event, we are able to enter Canada, do we necessarily need to fulfill the 2 year minimum residency period prior to applying for our PR cards? The reason for my question is that I may need to travel out of Canada on business trips frequently. Is it possible for me to do land crossings to US and take business trips and come back to Canada via land?
3. With the expired PR cards, can I still lead a normal life in Canada- enrolling my kids in secondary school, obtain new Health Cards, DLs, purchasing property?
4. Will having a job offer in Canada increase the chance of us to be let in via the land border with expired cards? Alternatively, will a job offer letter increase our chance to get PRTD approved for air travel?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Regards
Sri
1. Sure, you can certainly do this.
2. You will be allowed to enter Canada. Assuming you are not reported for failing to meet the residency obligation, then yes, you would need to remain in Canada for 2 years straight without leaving before you can apply to renew your PR cards. The exception would be if you have strong H&C reasons for having failed to meet RO and apply to renew your PR cards immediately with H&C consideration. Make sure you have a strong case if you do this. If you need to take frequent trips outside of Canada, this will significantly complicate the situation and will make it much more challenging for your plans to work out.
3. You may run into complications obtaining with certain processes such as obtaining a DL.
4. Do not apply for a PRTD unless you are applying under H&C and have a very strong argument. A job offer won't help here. As mentioned earlier, you will be allowed into Canada if you come from the US. The question is whether you will be reported for failing to meet the residency requirement.

Sricand

Aug 13, 2016
Thank you Scylla for your detailed responses. I am hearing from some people that the original landed document, COPR, although expired, can also be used as a document to cross via land border. Is this legitimate information? Would the expired COPR plus the expired PR card grant me the entry (with or without reporting)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you Scylla for your detailed responses. I am hearing from some people that the original landed document, COPR, although expired, can also be used as a document to cross via land border. Is this legitimate information? Would the expired COPR plus the expired PR card grant me the entry (with or without reporting)
Either would be sufficient to demonstrate that you're a PR. No impact on the reporting aspect whether it's one or the other or both. If handy , take both.