+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Options for soon to be expired PR Card

shaiderH

Mar 14, 2016
I am a Canadian citizen working in Hong Kong. I got married and applied for immigration for my wife. She got her immigration visa in 2015 and we traveled to Canada where she obtained her PR card.

After that we returned back to Hong Kong as I was working full time. Now her PR card is due for expiry on 18 March 2021. We have been wanting to return for a while but our plans had been on hold due to the covid19 situation.

I would like to understand what options do we have if we want to return. Are we able return before 18 March. I am also unsure if airlines will cause any issue with traveling with a soon to be expired PR card.

If we do travel and arrive before 18 March, what is required to apply for a PR card renewal.

If we do not travel and her PR card expires, what would be our next steps.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am a Canadian citizen working in Hong Kong. I got married and applied for immigration for my wife. She got her immigration visa in 2015 and we traveled to Canada where she obtained her PR card.

After that we returned back to Hong Kong as I was working full time. Now her PR card is due for expiry on 18 March 2021. We have been wanting to return for a while but our plans had been on hold due to the covid19 situation.

I would like to understand what options do we have if we want to return. Are we able return before 18 March. I am also unsure if airlines will cause any issue with traveling with a soon to be expired PR card.

If we do travel and arrive before 18 March, what is required to apply for a PR card renewal.

If we do not travel and her PR card expires, what would be our next steps.
You can't renew her PR card from outside of Canada.

Either you need to return to Canada before her PR card expires. Or she will need to apply for a PR Travel Document.

She needs either a valid PR card or a valid PR Travel Document to be allowed to board the plane.

PR card renewal process is here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-renew-replace-permanent-resident-card.html