+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Options for person with expired work visa

mexica

May 7, 2015
Hi all,

I'm looking for advice on the best way to help my boyfriend get PR.
His work visa is expired by over 90 days and he tried to renew with no luck.
What are the available options?
Could he, for instance, get accepted to a Cdn university program and apply for student visa, and from there explore options?
Are there other, more expedient paths he can take?
And especially if one's work visa has been expired for a while, are there grave consequences to this that would affect any attempt at applying for a PR?
If he ever has a chance to apply, will he be asked to exit the country for an interview that might result in a negative, similar to another post that was discussed in this forum called "Sponsoring illegal mexican living in the USA" (sorry I can't post links...)

I am a PR myself and would be willing to enter into a common-law partnership/marriage with him, if this is the best option.

Any help and advice would be much, much appreciated.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can't simply enter into a Common-Law relationship, if you're looking for a `quick fix' for his situation. In order to be CL, you must live together for one full year, in a marriage-like relationship. After one year, you could then sponsor him as your CL partner...but...he probably doesn't have that much time.

Getting married now is certainly an option, but you must be certain that it's what you both truly want...and, you need to prove that your relationship (especially before the marriage) was genuine and real. Marriages of convenience are fairly common and CIC does a very good (but not perfect) job of finding out about these!

The expired work permit would not negatively impact a future PR application, unless he has continued to work beyond the expiry of that permit.

His only real option, is probably the one that you don't want to hear.

Hopefully, someone with come along with a brilliant solution!

Good luck to you both.

mexica

May 7, 2015
Ponga,

Thank you so much for your thoughts on this... I was afraid that the options were very limited given the situation.
Even though my heart is sinking by reading your post, I always believe it is better to face the music with a reality check/slap in the face than to ignore a situation indefinitely...
Would appreciate hearing other's thoughts on the situation, in case there are some novel and creative solutions out there.

Best,
Mexica