+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Options for a work permit after my IEC visa expires??

Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
So I can get the VR online? And I dont have to leave?

And when I apply show them I have a lease up in November and I need to stay because of that? Would this convince them I wasn't going to work illegally though? Or should I say I intend on travelling and exploring after working before going home?

Thanks again.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
I'm not 100% sure about converting an IEC visa to visitor online since IEC isn't extendable. However, it does allow you to change your conditions, so the way I read the site, it should be fine. The online application has a self test enclosed so it'll tell you if you're eligible (as long as you answer the questions correctly). You ca sign up for MyCIC and do a practice run now, then delete the form once done. That way you're also familiar with the questions asked.

The online application doesn't give you a ton of room to show proof. Instead, there's opportunities to tell them, such as "Why do you want to stay in Canada?" This is when you mention your common-law wife, your lease, and the fact you would like to remain with her until the lease is up (especially if you signed it). Show proof you having savings to remain. Her paystubs can be considered. Also tell them you have your travel plans including return tickets. Give them confirmation numbers and offer to send proof if needed.

"My lease expires in November and I have a ticket to X airport for X day. I can supple a copy of the lease or trip itinerary if needed."

I've found just being honest and nice works. I've even told CIC we are planning to apply for PR, offered to send proof I've paid and had my medicals. COC goes pretty easy on us as citizens from the UK and USA :)

Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
Thankyou.

This is all I wanted to hear. Obviously I want better, such as being able to get a work permit, but if I can stay with my fiance and get married to her in August, this is all I want. I can try to get work through an LMO during the time to help me, but so long as I can stay as a visitor at the very least to stay with her then I'm sure I canmake things work.

We won't have any flights booked to show that we are leaving because when we leave, we will be going away to teach in Asia and we wont be able to sort that out until after the wedding.

So if I say on the application form that I want to stay as a visitor so I can stay with my commonlaw partner until our lease is up that should be fine?

I can also offer to show I have enough money to sustain myself while I am here and enough money for a flight out and show them the lease if required.

Do you think this would be enough information for them?

I'm pretty sure I can apply to change my status as a visitor after the IEC. I believe it takes 94 days to process during which time, if I am correct in assuming, I would be on implied status.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Yes, you'll have implied status.

Online only gives you some many MBs to upload. I have savings (year worth of living expenses) plus credit cards for emergencies, but all I show is 3 of hubby's paystubs. This seems to work. They have never contacted him to verify anything.

Do you have the job offer or employment contract for the job in Asia? That would work as proof you intend to leave. Either way, if you're going to be sponsored by your wife, CIC will probably let you stay.

Hopefully you can get the LMO but keep in mind it has to be for at least six months.

Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
No contract for the job. We cant start looking for that until later this year. The jobs are advertised approx 3 months before they start taking applications so we wouldnt technically be able to look until around september time.

When you applied for the visitor extension you uploaded pictures of your husbands pay stubs?

So if i go this road, I should tell them why i want to stay (to see out my lease and to stay with my partner and promise not to work etc) and provide them with financial proof?

Should I tell them about the marriage? Or should I mention we will apply for sponsorship at a later date but not right now? im confused about you mentioning th sponsorship to CIC if we dont go that route?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Do you have to apply for any travel documents or visas for the country you're going to in Asia? Is it through an agency where you had to register and/or pay for placement?

Yes, at the end of the application they will require uploads of your passport picture page, any passport stamps, and proof of financial support. We used a scanner at first, then just took pictures with our phones. I'd advise saving everything as Word documents as they take up considerably less MBs. Just make sure it's easy to read, your named is clear, etc.

I've told them about marriage every time I've applied. Canada does allow dual intent and as long as you've been a good citizen, they don't seem to mind letting us stay. You don't have to bring it up, however. It's just an idea. You should tell them what you feel comfortable with. If you don't want to mention the future wife and possibly getting your own PR later, that's fine. Just tell them you want to stay until the lease is up and you can travel to Asia with your girlfriend/wife to work.

Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
No travel documents or visa's yet. the schools we'll work for will apply for those when we get accepted and we cant apply until later in the year.

I guess id just tell them about the lease, that we are due to get married in the future and we intend on travelling in November and that I'dlike to stay with her to see the lease out. I think that should be sufficient yeah? I can also upload images of my own finances and hers as we have everything joint. My money is hers and vice versa. Does this sound ok? (I dont think id mention the marriage is in canada in august because I feel this would jeapordise it for some reason.)

Thank you!

(this is my fallback option. We may yet get an LMO for me, OR we may apply for common law OR by some god amazing chance, my visa conditions change and I can stay! But its nice to know that if I need to, I can change my status to visitor and live a cheap, peaceful life her without worry of being thrown out before the wedding! Imagine that? Wedding from hell or what if the groom is deported!)

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Just keep in mind, CIC asks you apply at least 30 days before your curent status expires.

It sounds like a plan!

Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
We'll make sure. We have just under 5 weeks before that deadline so hopefully we have some idea or there is something in process by then.

5 weeks just sounds like an awfully short period of time!

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Haha, it's funny how that happens! Try not to stress too much. We're lowest class on the 'risk' list, so Canada doesn't seem to mind letting us stay as long as we aren't criminals or anything weird like that. Obviously since you got a IEC, you're doing okay in their book!

Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
I hope so! I think I may give the commonlaw outland a try. Depends if my partner is happy to go that way too. It'd be the same as a visitor visa anyway, but with an option of working for a few months after we get approved! sounds ok in my book!

thanks again for the help! youve been awesome!

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Hmmm... Outland gives no status and no ability to work.

I assume you meant from other options, like the LMO?

Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
well I can apply for a visitor visa while it is happening. and by the time I get approved it'll be around august. so I should be a PR by then if things are processing through london as quickly as everyone says it is.

then I can work for a few months before leaving.

if I'm going to be here as a visitor, its worth trying to get something out of it in the end. otherwise ill just be here with no work continuously applying for visitor visas.

its a plan at least.

not eligiblr for lmo I don't think as I'm not full time at my job.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Not to scare you, but it takes a while to put together the application. I started in Sept 2011 and just got my police clearance.

Gary_87

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2013
Victoria, BC
VISA ISSUED...
21-11-2016
LANDED..........
03-04-2017
shouldn't be so bad. I can a uk cert in a couple weeks im sure. so long as I get that and my medical sorted I should be able to get the rest sorted. a lot of work but still. I'm thinking it may be more worth something than just going visitor! ee shall see.

and its not scaring me so don't worry haha. its always good to hear opinions and I appreciate it :)