+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Options for a severely delayed application

mbn2018

Sep 29, 2018
Is there anything that can be done if it appears that a visa office just isn't looking at applications in a timely fashion?

I applied for PR in Oct 2017 for my spouse, and my file was transferred to Mexico in Feb 2018. From Feb to Sept I heard nothing, but from reading this forum gathered that this could be quite normal. Then in Sept 2018, I got AOR2 and a request for police certificate (which had been uploaded originally in Jan 2018). I contacted my MP's office, and they just got back to me this week, to tell me that the police check had just begun, security screening had not yet started, and to expect another year's wait in the process.

I understand that only 80% of applications are processed within the 12 month deadline, and I understand that for complicated cases (mine is not), things can take much longer but from what I heard from the MP's office and from what I've received (AOR2 and police document request), it seems like my application just sat in a pile from Feb to Sept. If this process actually takes another year, it means that not even the old target of 18 months to process the application has been met. This doesn't seem right, especially if the explanation is just inaction on the visa office's part.

Do I have any recourse in this situation? My MP told me to contact them again in Jan if I haven't heard anything further by then.

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
Unfortunately, there isnt much that can be done. Mexico processes several countries applications -- we went for 8 months of silence then one day PPR. We didnt even get an AOR2... or a transfer letter... our background check apparently took 8 months... but hey it is what it is. our process took 12 months and 5 days from the day that IRCC received the application in mississauga

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Is there anything that can be done if it appears that a visa office just isn't looking at applications in a timely fashion?

I applied for PR in Oct 2017 for my spouse, and my file was transferred to Mexico in Feb 2018. From Feb to Sept I heard nothing, but from reading this forum gathered that this could be quite normal. Then in Sept 2018, I got AOR2 and a request for police certificate (which had been uploaded originally in Jan 2018). I contacted my MP's office, and they just got back to me this week, to tell me that the police check had just begun, security screening had not yet started, and to expect another year's wait in the process.

I understand that only 80% of applications are processed within the 12 month deadline, and I understand that for complicated cases (mine is not), things can take much longer but from what I heard from the MP's office and from what I've received (AOR2 and police document request), it seems like my application just sat in a pile from Feb to Sept. If this process actually takes another year, it means that not even the old target of 18 months to process the application has been met. This doesn't seem right, especially if the explanation is just inaction on the visa office's part.

Do I have any recourse in this situation? My MP told me to contact them again in Jan if I haven't heard anything further by then.
Order your GCMS notes

mbn2018

Sep 29, 2018
Unfortunately, there isnt much that can be done. Mexico processes several countries applications -- we went for 8 months of silence then one day PPR. We didnt even get an AOR2... or a transfer letter... our background check apparently took 8 months... but hey it is what it is. our process took 12 months and 5 days from the day that IRCC received the application in mississauga

So your application was within timeline limits. Right at the end of it but within 5 days of a year.

I didn't start asking questions until the 1 year was up since applying, and now get told that it's another year out because neither police or background checks have started. That's what I mean when I say nothing was done with my application since it arrived in Mexico until recently.

mbn2018

Sep 29, 2018
The estimated time to completion is another year, so my application will be complete in Oct 2019. That is the estimate at this point in time from IRCC.

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
So your application was within timeline limits. Right at the end of it but within 5 days of a year.

I didn't start asking questions until the 1 year was up since applying, and now get told that it's another year out because neither police or background checks have started. That's what I mean when I say nothing was done with my application since it arrived in Mexico until recently.
Where are you getting a year from?? I suggest you order your notes to get the truth yourself. Mine was 5 days more than a year

Reactions: YVR123