+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Options After Importing Car

despairedh1b

Star Member
Oct 7, 2018
Hello Folks, Though I am far away from the process, I am asking for a friend who is planning to move to Toronto (he just got his PR card). He has plans to export from US (72 hour notice, etc.) and import into Canada. The query is what are some options after? I tried searching the threads but only able to find info till modifications being needed to effectively make the US car a Canadian one.

1) How much on average will insurance cost (Toronto)?

2) He plans to rent within Greater Toronto Area (GTA) close to downtown / union. How expensive can parking get?

2) If its working out to be too much (insurance + parking), will it be a good idea to sell the car i.e. do you get similar returns to what you would have got had you sold the same car in the US?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Regarding the insurance. If he only plans to drive the car minimally, I would contact the CAA. They have a program called My Pace, which you pay for how many kilometres you intend to drive. It is good if you plan on driving below 9000km per year. I ended up going from $1500/year down to $550 for a year, you pay for each 1000km you drive. His insurance will be determined by his driving record, age. I have an excellent driving record, nil on everything, accidents, tickets, driven for 35 years, so pay the least, but I live downtown so the postal code comes into play in determining rates as well. Btw, where you park the car, will also determine your rate, is the parking secure, is there security etc....there are far too many variable to take into consideration for the rate
As for parking, google is your friend https://www.kijiji.ca/b-storage-parking/gta-greater-toronto-area/downtown-parking/k0c39l1700272

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hello Folks, Though I am far away from the process, I am asking for a friend who is planning to move to Toronto (he just got his PR card). He has plans to export from US (72 hour notice, etc.) and import into Canada. The query is what are some options after? I tried searching the threads but only able to find info till modifications being needed to effectively make the US car a Canadian one.

1) How much on average will insurance cost (Toronto)?

2) He plans to rent within Greater Toronto Area (GTA) close to downtown / union. How expensive can parking get?

3) If its working out to be too much (insurance + parking), will it be a good idea to sell the car i.e. do you get similar returns to what you would have got had you sold the same car in the US?
Asking in H1b thread wont help as not many people who actually settled and working in Canada. Try these threads to know the actual information and problems in getting things done as a newcomer.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/settlement-issues.14/

1. https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/car-insurance-for-newcomers-how-to-keep-it-cheap.33530/
2 . Ask in the thread "Settlement Issues".
3. It all depends on how much worth the car is and how much you end up paying for importing it. If its worth 2k then no use of bringing it over. Find the online (like kbb, autotrader in both US and Canada sites) for price comparison and decide and also consider the cost of import fee and if daytime running lights to be fixed.
Import fee: https://www.riv.ca/MakeAnRIVPayment.aspx