+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

OPTION C PRINTOUT

Rs85

Star Member
Nov 13, 2011
Hi,

I have contacted CRA, as I have not yet filled a tax form yet as it's been 8 months am in canada, they said to me i don't have the option c form and it's only when i file a tax return. I am going to sponsor my wife and i need this document.

Can anyone advise me what to do?

thx

Pamma97

Aug 19, 2014
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
Jan 5th 2016 - 8.52am Purolator
Doc's Request.
Email on July 6th, 2016- submitted July 12, 2016 via case specific enquiry, Sep 2018 documents requested, PR fees requested Jan 2019
Nomination.....
CC charged March 22, 2016 (Ecase activated April 26, 2016)
AOR Received.
May 16th, 2016 in Mail
File Transfer...
SA Approval on Feb 3, 2017 - transferred to OTTAWA - reassessment requested again March 2018, refused June 4 2018, again requested reassessment on June 20, 2018, SA approved again in Aug 2018
Med's Request
14-05-2018
Med's Done....
26-05-2018
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
05-02-2019
VISA ISSUED...
06-02-2019 rcvd pp back on 20/02/2019
LANDED..........
14/03/2019 appointment date for landing
Rs85 said:
Hi,

I have contacted CRA, as I have not yet filled a tax form yet as it's been 8 months am in canada, they said to me i don't have the option c form and it's only when i file a tax return. I am going to sponsor my wife and i need this document.

Can anyone advise me what to do?

thx
You need to file a tax to get that and I think NOA also works if you don't have option C. But firstly you will have to file your tax and wait for your NOA and then request option C if you want that.

Snowisland

Nov 23, 2014
Visa Office......
Ottawa
LANDED..........
30-05-2016
I am newbie, so let's hear from seniors, too, but I suggest getting all paycheck stubs for proof and a letter from your employer stating normal hours of work, salary and date of hire.

chris1302

Star Member
Sep 12, 2014
ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was in the same situation when my husband applied for PR. I was living in europe for the past 10 yrs so no option c for me.
All I did was send a letter explaing why I do not have the option C. I attahced a letter from my employer and my last few pay stubs from 2 different employers since July 2014 (thats when I came back to canada and started working).

I was worried about that printout, but from the helpful people here they advised me to do it this way, and I think all should be ok. We just applied a little over a month ago, so I still have not heard back from cic :mad:

daijoeboo

Star Member
Oct 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jul. 4, 2014
Doc's Request.
Jan. 14, 2015
Med's Done....
Apr. 14, 2014
Interview........
not req'd
Passport Req..
Oct. 09, 2015
LANDED..........
TBA
Hello,

You need to find out what years you need to file for. You say you have been in Canada 8 months, this means previously you were not in Canada.
Did you just come to Canada yourself on PR? Are you a Canadian citizen?

It sounds like you were told, "You have only been in Canada 8 months your whole life and have not worked so there is no tax history"
Or do they mean "You have only been back in the country for 8 months and have not worked since leaving last time so there is no new tax history"
There is a big difference.

Let's go on the assumption you are a Canadian citizen who lived abroad for several years.
So for the years you were outside of Canada, for example, you would not file because you would be officially in 'non-resident status'. (However, if you receive an income in Canada and T4's are issued then you must file for those years)
When you leave Canada you are supposed to inform the banks and CRA that you will be gone and will be 'non-resident' but no one does that, it's okay.

Let's assume you simply were not in Canada and had no income here - the years you were gone you do not file.

So, the LAST year you WERE in Canada and the last fiscal year you received T4's, you must file for this year if you haven't done so already. Maybe you left Canada before tax season or something.

The CRA will be able to tell you if you have filed taxes properly for all fiscal years when you received income in Canada and T4's were issued.
(Subsequent years when you were a non-resident and did not have a Canadian income will not be relevant.)

So to put it into perspective, here is my experience.
I sponsored my wife summer 2014.

1) I called CRA and told them I wanted an Option-C.
2) They investigated my 'file' (my SIN) and informed me I had not filed for 2007, which was the last year I received Canadian income. (I was living and working overseas from April 2008 - 2014 so I just missed the 2007 fiscal tax season hence I did not file that year).
3) They re-issued all required documentation (T4's) for me to be able to file for 2007 and mailed it to me in my country of residence.
4) I downloaded the required forms T1 from the CRA website (they'll tell you which ones) and completed my 2007 tax return and post mailed it to my CRA rep.
5) They confirmed everything was okay and mailed me the Option C to my country of residence.
6) I applied outland with the Option C July 2014.
7) September 2014 I was approved as a sponsor.

So this is the timeline and events for my personal Option C experience only. Many people here have sent explanatory letters etc. because Option C is often a very tedious and pain-in-the-ass process and it sounds like the CIC is not sticky about the Option C, so if you really cannot do it, you can try sending a letter of explanation and say, "Sorry, I tried but I couldn't get one." That is your choice and it seems like it works fine for many people. However, other people would prefer to make sure they have the Option C and not take a chance, so I write this here for them.

Anyway, it is your choice. My honest advice, first do your best to get the Option C and if you cannot get one then send a letter explaining why, maybe the date you called and the name of the person you spoke to would help too.

chris1302

Star Member
Sep 12, 2014
ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
daijoeboo said:
Hello,

You need to find out what years you need to file for. You say you have been in Canada 8 months, this means previously you were not in Canada.

It sounds like you were told, "You have only been in Canada 8 months your whole life and have not worked so there is no tax history"
Or do they mean "You have only been back in the country for 8 months and have not worked since leaving last time so there is no new tax history"

I am a Canadian citizen by birth, I was a non-resident of canada for 10 yrs. Why do you even care???
I just gave some advice to the fellow member of this forum and expalined what I did and the advice that was given to me,.
As long as oyu have proof it should not be a problem.

chris1302

Star Member
Sep 12, 2014
ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I noticed i quoted my comment as well.

I am a Canadian citizen by birth, I was a non-resident of canada for 10 yrs. But did work in canada prior to leaving for over 10 years......Why do you even care???
I just gave some advice to the fellow member of this forum and expalined what I did and the advice that was given to me,.

Rs85

Star Member
Nov 13, 2011
Hi,

Here is my story am a PR and i have landed in April 2014. This is my first time here. I have not yet filled the tax forms yet. When i called CRA, they said I don't have any tax records and that's why I don't have the option C.

My employer has just notified that I will be getting my 2014 T4 and RL1 Tax Forms soon. Can i send these documents instead of option c?

thx

daijoeboo said:
Hello,

Let's go on the assumption you are a Canadian citizen who lived abroad for several years.
So for the years you were outside of Canada, for example, you would not file because you would be officially in 'non-resident status'. (However, if you receive an income in Canada and T4's are issued then you must file for those years)
When you leave Canada you are supposed to inform the banks and CRA that you will be gone and will be 'non-resident' but no one does that, it's okay.

Let's assume you simply were not in Canada and had no income here - the years you were gone you do not file.

So, the LAST year you WERE in Canada and the last fiscal year you received T4's, you must file for this year if you haven't done so already. Maybe you left Canada before tax season or something.

The CRA will be able to tell you if you have filed taxes properly for all fiscal years when you received income in Canada and T4's were issued.
(Subsequent years when you were a non-resident and did not have a Canadian income will not be relevant.)

So to put it into perspective, here is my experience.
I sponsored my wife summer 2014.

1) I called CRA and told them I wanted an Option-C.
2) They investigated my 'file' (my SIN) and informed me I had not filed for 2007, which was the last year I received Canadian income. (I was living and working overseas from April 2008 - 2014 so I just missed the 2007 fiscal tax season hence I did not file that year).
3) They re-issued all required documentation (T4's) for me to be able to file for 2007 and mailed it to me in my country of residence.
4) I downloaded the required forms T1 from the CRA website (they'll tell you which ones) and completed my 2007 tax return and post mailed it to my CRA rep.
5) They confirmed everything was okay and mailed me the Option C to my country of residence.
6) I applied outland with the Option C July 2014.
7) September 2014 I was approved as a sponsor.

So this is the timeline and events for my personal Option C experience only. Many people here have sent explanatory letters etc. because Option C is often a very tedious and pain-in-the-ass process and it sounds like the CIC is not sticky about the Option C, so if you really cannot do it, you can try sending a letter of explanation and say, "Sorry, I tried but I couldn't get one." That is your choice and it seems like it works fine for many people. However, other people would prefer to make sure they have the Option C and not take a chance, so I write this here for them.

Anyway, it is your choice. My honest advice, first do your best to get the Option C and if you cannot get one then send a letter explaining why, maybe the date you called and the name of the person you spoke to would help too.

daijoeboo

Star Member
Oct 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jul. 4, 2014
Doc's Request.
Jan. 14, 2015
Med's Done....
Apr. 14, 2014
Interview........
not req'd
Passport Req..
Oct. 09, 2015
LANDED..........
TBA
chris1302 said:
I noticed i quoted my comment as well.

I am a Canadian citizen by birth, I was a non-resident of canada for 10 yrs. But did work in canada prior to leaving for over 10 years......Why do you even care???
chris1302: First off my original comment was directed at OP, not you. I have no interest in your personal situation whatsoever.

Second, the difference is that if he has just come to Canada anew, is not a citizen, etc. and has only been here 8 months then CRA's comments can be interpreted as there is no need for an Option C due to there being zero fiscal years on file to make returns for, ever.

If he has a previous tax history and was in Canada prior, (citizen or otherwise, I could have said PR too I suppose) then he may have to file for previous years despite that. I have replied to a couple of Option C threads and some people get told they cannot get one/won't get one even though it sounds like they are in the same boat as me, and I got one, so I wished to clarify to see if there was a chance he may be able to get one afterall.

The OP has replied and clarified his situation which now makes it easier to understand.

Rs85 - if you are in a hurry you can send those forms but I am not sure if they will fulfil the requirements as Option C. I think the Option C indicates that you are properly up to date in filing your taxes. Sending T4's is unfortunately not an indication of filing and being up to date. If you are not in a rush, and really really want the Option C, then you should file for 2014 (this years tax return, for last year) and get the Option C after.

If not, then just write an explanatory note and yeah, you could send the T4's and say "I'm going to file".

Rs85

Star Member
Nov 13, 2011
daijoeboo said:
chris1302: First off my original comment was directed at OP, not you. I have no interest in your personal situation whatsoever.

Second, the difference is that if he has just come to Canada anew, is not a citizen, etc. and has only been here 8 months then CRA's comments can be interpreted as there is no need for an Option C due to there being zero fiscal years on file to make returns for, ever.

If he has a previous tax history and was in Canada prior, (citizen or otherwise, I could have said PR too I suppose) then he may have to file for previous years despite that. I have replied to a couple of Option C threads and some people get told they cannot get one/won't get one even though it sounds like they are in the same boat as me, and I got one, so I wished to clarify to see if there was a chance he may be able to get one afterall.

The OP has replied and clarified his situation which now makes it easier to understand.

Rs85 - if you are in a hurry you can send those forms but I am not sure if they will fulfil the requirements as Option C. I think the Option C indicates that you are properly up to date in filing your taxes. Sending T4's is unfortunately not an indication of filing and being up to date. If you are not in a rush, and really really want the Option C, then you should file for 2014 (this years tax return, for last year) and get the Option C after.

If not, then just write an explanatory note and yeah, you could send the T4's and say "I'm going to file".
I think i will do that. I will submit my tax returns and then i shall request for the option c

sohaib1

Champion Member
Jan 28, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2015
Doc's Request.
13-10-2015 (Urdu Nikah Nama)
AOR Received.
02-04-2015
File Transfer...
20-04-2015
Med's Done....
PreDone 20-01-2015
Passport Req..
11-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-12-2015
LANDED..........
10-12-2015
PrayingforPR said:
Guys, I'm reapplying for my husband's case after 2 years, could you please remind me how to get Option C printout?

Thanks!
Call CRA 1 (800) 959-8281 and you can either talk to a person or automated messging that lets you order your recent option c. I did that and you will recieve it in 2 weeks.

vermas

Champion Member
Jan 12, 2010
NOC Code......
NA
App. Filed.......
eAPR/AOR 13-08-2018
I have just returned to Canada after getting married in India. Our file is ready for sending to CPC-Mississauga. I have got Option C form for the tax year 2013. I received my T4 from my employer yesterday and will file my tax return for 2014 within a week. How many days CRA takes to process the tax return and after how many days can I order Option C form for 2014?

Thanks,

daijoeboo

Star Member
Oct 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jul. 4, 2014
Doc's Request.
Jan. 14, 2015
Med's Done....
Apr. 14, 2014
Interview........
not req'd
Passport Req..
Oct. 09, 2015
LANDED..........
TBA
vermas said:
I have just returned to Canada after getting married in India. Our file is ready for sending to CPC-Mississauga. I have got Option C form for the tax year 2013. I received my T4 from my employer yesterday and will file my tax return for 2014 within a week. How many days CRA takes to process the tax return and after how many days can I order Option C form for 2014?

Thanks,
The earlier you file the less time it will take overall, but I do not know how long they will take to process your tax return. However, as soon as you receive notice that your taxes are in order you should be able to call immediately and have an Option C sent because everything will already be in the system at that point.