Ankara
App. Filed.......
23-06-2020
Passport Req..
20-11-2020
VISA ISSUED...
19-11-2020
Good day all,

While some of us will inevitably study online from home for a certain period of time due to not having their DLI on the list and some of us are required to travel to Canada whenever possible as their DLI/study program entails their physical presence, some of us, like myself, can choose between both options.

My DLI allows me to choose to study from home or travel to Canada at any time during the winter semester. It's difficult to make a decision when I'm torn between staying home and traveling. Each has it's own pros and cons, but I want to take the decision with the most pros and least cons. For example, if I chose to go to Canada, that would mean I will have to spend more money during the mandatory 14-days quarantine plan, however, I will have an early introduction to Canadian society. And if I chose to stay home, that would mean I will need to stay up late to be in line with my classes in Canada, however, I will not have to spend as much money. Your opinions are appreciated.

Best of luck to everyone.

Reactions: m7md

azzamkc

Apr 2, 2019
Oman
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
Thanks for the thread. I think we need to have more of "post visa approval" threads like this in the forum. I am opting for the "travel to Canada" option. My logic is; get started with the college journey and who knows what may happen in the coming months (border closures again). I say get there, get in to the mix of things since IRCC has given us the option to.

Side question if I may: When do we get the PoE letter (Letter of Introduction). I may have asked before or read an answer from an ancient post so bear with me.

shopnodana91

Dec 20, 2016
Bangladesh
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
13-01-2021
Med's Request
02-03-2021
Med's Done....
08-03-2021
Passport Req..
01-04-2021
Stay home:
Pros: Touch with family and friends, less cost than Canada, You can earn money if you already in job.
Cons: Timezone difference specially during classes and exam, late night classes cause stress in daily routine, low duration course impact on PGWP thus getting less PR point.

Stay Canada:
Pros: Time zone matched. Early adaption with cultures, friends, society, Instant help from senior students, social interaction
Cons: Part time job might not get due to pandemic(not sure), high cost for accommodation and quarantine.

However, My personal choice is to go there as soon as I am allowed to attend there though. But, everything is your choice and listen to your mind which one would be suitable for you.

Tete

Jun 26, 2017
Egypt
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ankara
App. Filed.......
23-06-2020
Passport Req..
20-11-2020
VISA ISSUED...
19-11-2020
Thanks for your inputs. As far as part-time job is concerned, we might need an expert's views on job availability during the health crisis. Perhaps @jigzyy can fill us in on that.

Adeti

Star Member
Oct 13, 2020
I have a few friends in Quebec and they got jobs during the pandemic so i think it doesn't cause a problem as far as i know

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
Good day all,
b
While some of us will inevitably study online from home for a certain period of time due to not having their DLI on the list and some of us are required to travel to Canada whenever possible as their DLI/study program entails their physical presence, some of us, like myself, can choose between both options.

My DLI allows me to choose to study from home or travel to Canada at any time during the winter semester. It's difficult to make a decision when I'm torn between staying home and traveling. Each has it's own pros and cons, but I want to take the decision with the most pros and least cons. For example, if I chose to go to Canada, that would mean I will have to spend more money during the mandatory 14-days quarantine plan, however, I will have an early introduction to Canadian society. And if I chose to stay home, that would mean I will need to stay up late to be in line with my classes in Canada, however, I will not have to spend as much money. Your opinions are appreciated.

Best of luck to everyone.
For my daughter, it is a matter of "university experience" and the downsides of doing it all alone. The positive of staying at home is I save around 4k per semester in housing and extra food costs. The positive of being on campus are 1) use of campus facilities 2) social life of campus 3) collaboration with classmates 4) obligatory practical classes MUST be done in person and already my daughter is 2 classes behind due to not being able to attend in person which she has the next 7 semesters to somehow fit in without timetable clashes 5) student jobs 6) experience of another culture 7) own personal study space which is not possible when you share a bedroom and home 8) not staying up to 1am for classes disturbing the rest of the family and all the rest which comes with the time difference. So my daughter is staying to finish this semester at home because it will be really disruptive for her to go now and she'll be the sole student on campus in quarantine but no way is this online thing sustainable for learning.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
If you have the option to study in Canada then you should take the option up given online attendance is obviously not going to be the same especially given any time differences. Sure you have the 14 day quarantine cost but all other costs you should have been budgeting for anyway plus nobody really suggests that anyone should ever bank on getting a part time job Covid or no Covid but if you get a job thats a bonus.

Your decision ultimateley but my vote would be not to delay if you have the opportunity.

Tete

Jun 26, 2017
Egypt
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ankara
App. Filed.......
23-06-2020
Passport Req..
20-11-2020
VISA ISSUED...
19-11-2020
For my daughter, it is a matter of "university experience" and the downsides of doing it all alone. The positive of staying at home is I save around 4k per semester in housing and extra food costs. The positive of being on campus are 1) use of campus facilities 2) social life of campus 3) collaboration with classmates 4) obligatory practical classes MUST be done in person and already my daughter is 2 classes behind due to not being able to attend in person which she has the next 7 semesters to somehow fit in without timetable clashes 5) student jobs 6) experience of another culture 7) own personal study space which is not possible when you share a bedroom and home 8) not staying up to 1am for classes disturbing the rest of the family and all the rest which comes with the time difference. So my daughter is staying to finish this semester at home because it will be really disruptive for her to go now and she'll be the sole student on campus in quarantine but no way is this online thing sustainable for learning.
Fair enough. Wishing your daughter all the best.

If you have the option to study in Canada then you should take the option up given online attendance is obviously not going to be the same especially given any time differences. Sure you have the 14 day quarantine cost but all other costs you should have been budgeting for anyway plus nobody really suggests that anyone should ever bank on getting a part time job Covid or no Covid but if you get a job thats a bonus.

Your decision ultimateley but my vote would be not to delay if you have the opportunity.
Getting a part-time job is not something I would take for granted indeed, it's not a very important part of my plans anyhow. I completely understand that I might and might not find a job as an international student and if I were to completely depend on that, I'd be just taking risks. However, since I cannot really predict whether this mandatory period will cause me a financial burden by draining me out of funds, I have to get some insights into job availability to ensure that, if go for the traveling option, I would be able to get a job in order to compensate lest such event should occur.

Last edited:

jigzyy

VIP Member
Jul 1, 2010
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-05-2013
AOR Received.
09-07-2013
File Transfer...
22-07-2013
Med's Request
02-04-2014
Med's Done....
15-04-2014
Interview........
21-01-2014
Passport Req..
01-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
22-09-2014
My suggestion would be to try to get in to Canada at the earliest. With Covid19, rules can change with in matter of days. You are allowed now, you might not be allowed later on. Don't risk it.

Reactions: azzamkc

azzamkc

Apr 2, 2019
Oman
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
App. Filed.......
02-09-2020
My suggestion would be to try to get in to Canada at the earliest. With Covid19, rules can change with in matter of days. You are allowed now, you might not be allowed later on. Don't risk it.
Aye aye to that. Is there really 3 week rule that we need to stick to? As in, we cannot and should not arrive a day over 3 weeks before the start of our semester as we run the risk of being refused entry by the CBSA officer?

jigzyy

VIP Member
Jul 1, 2010
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-05-2013
AOR Received.
09-07-2013
File Transfer...
22-07-2013
Med's Request
02-04-2014
Med's Done....
15-04-2014
Interview........
21-01-2014
Passport Req..
01-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
22-09-2014
Aye aye to that. Is there really 3 week rule that we need to stick to? As in, we cannot and should not arrive a day over 3 weeks before the start of our semester as we run the risk of being refused entry by the CBSA officer?
+/- few days wiggle room might be okay but you should not travel more then 1 month in advance. Pre-covid, it wasn't an issue since you could have done numerous things, but it's pretty much restricted now. They don't want people to go out and about after mandatory quarantine period. There are still selective lockdowns in place.

Reactions: azzamkc

Lolo19l

Sep 3, 2020
Personaly, I am in favor to go to Canada now, but I have a concern also which make me hesitant and delay this. As IRCC may change their rules, I am scared to book flight but they may close border or my uni will not be in the approved list, as I have to give one month notice to leave my work. On this case, I will lose my current job and end up deported to my country as I live in gulf and residence visa require a job.

So it actually depends on your situation.

thecazgir

Star Member
Oct 20, 2020
Personaly, I am in favor to go to Canada now, but I have a concern also which make me hesitant and delay this. As IRCC may change their rules, I am scared to book flight but they may close border or my uni will not be in the approved list, as I have to give one month notice to leave my work. On this case, I will lose my current job and end up deported to my country as I live in gulf and residence visa require a job.

So it actually depends on your situation.
You can call CBSA via phone and ask for their opinion. It is stated by IRCC officer in one of the webinars organized for Indian students. But I haven't been able to find any other official source confirming this. If you give them a call, please let us know.

Reactions: Lolo19l

Lolo19l

Sep 3, 2020
You can call CBSA via phone and ask for their opinion. It is stated by IRCC officer in one of the webinars organized for Indian students. But I haven't been able to find any other official source confirming this. If you give them a call, please let us know.
Thanks for your reply...but as far as I know the calling option is not for international students. Webform are the only option. Calling is an option if you are in Canada. I would appreciate if you can advise on the number and I would give it a try.