+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Opening account from abroad

hina zaidi

Aug 30, 2014
rafzy said:
Can you guys tell me if RBC allows first wire-transfer for free or not ?

Also, what documents do I have to send them while applying for Deposit account at RBC ?
i dont think any wire transfer is free in RBC. you can check with them.

documents same PP copy, PR copy etc to verified by RBC rep office or lawyer, if you opening account form outside canada.
wthin week you get account no and you can transfer fund to your account.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Wire transfers with RBC are $15. Regardless of account and if you'd had one before.

Oh, and you pay tax on interest earned outside of Canada. Or you should, if you got interest outside Canada, and don't declare it and get caught you will get into trouble.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jc94 said:
Oh, and you pay tax on interest earned outside of Canada. Or you should, if you got interest outside Canada, and don't declare it and get caught you will get into trouble.
Except for non residents.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jc94 said:
Do non-residents have to file with CRA? They wouldn't have a T4 one assumes.
Yes, but not all. It really depends on that individual. They might have T4 from financial institutions.

mattjp1

Jul 23, 2017
Hi all - old thread but I am in this situation now and have a few questions for you who have been through it:

1. Can we open a bank account in RBC/ScotiaBank without having received PR yet? I am at IP1 stage, just thinking there is no harm planning ahead and opening an account if possible. If/when I receive PPR, I can then transfer the funds required for landing.

2. When the time of landing comes, have you asked a letter from your bank as a proof of funds for landing, or bank statements are good enough?

Thanks all
matt

3zat

Dec 30, 2016
Hi all - old thread but I am in this situation now and have a few questions for you who have been through it:

1. Can we open a bank account in RBC/ScotiaBank without having received PR yet? I am at IP1 stage, just thinking there is no harm planning ahead and opening an account if possible. If/when I receive PPR, I can then transfer the funds required for landing.

2. When the time of landing comes, have you asked a letter from your bank as a proof of funds for landing, or bank statements are good enough?

Thanks all
matt
as per this link you will need your COPR to open a bank account (other banks will require the same- you can live chat with RBC to verify), for the second question I think an email from the bank will suffice.
https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/planning/life-events/new-to-canada/index.jsp

SuprJim

Jul 28, 2017
Hi Guys, I am trying to open an account from this side before I reach Canada, I see Scotia Bank only allows a maximum transfer of $50 000.
Is there a legal limit to the amount of money a family can transfer to Canada? My country allows each tax payer to transfer $100 000 per year out of the country.
Also can I open more than one bank account with different banks from outside of Canada, is this legal

Thanks!!

Nov 23, 2018
hey guys! So, what if someone opened a Canadian bank account, transferred money into the account, and then got the study permit declined? How would one go about sending the money out of that Canadian bank account again, if he/she is not permitted to enter Canada?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hey guys! So, what if someone opened a Canadian bank account, transferred money into the account, and then got the study permit declined? How would one go about sending the money out of that Canadian bank account again, if he/she is not permitted to enter Canada?
Telephone banking, internet banking .... These are ways people bank without going to their branch in person...

Also, online banks don't have any branch for you to bank in person other than automatic bank machines.

Nov 23, 2018
Telephone banking, internet banking .... These are ways people bank without going to their branch in person...

Also, online banks don't have any branch for you to bank in person other than automatic bank machines.
but some in the thread said you cannot move money out of the account until you walk into the bank

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
but some in the thread said you cannot move money out of the account until you walk into the bank
You mean those outdated threads? Do you realize some banks are merely online banks and don't have any branches for you to walk into?

Itsmemairaj

Aug 28, 2018
you cna open accont from aborad and its very fast, within weeks it can be done.

i did it it form dubai for RBC.

you can transfer money through bank transfer or through Money exchange house.
thye have 45$ charges for that.
negotiate the rate in conversion before sending. same will be transfer within 24 hours to your Canadian account.

thanks
HI, how did you get the documents certified to open the account?