+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Opening account from abroad

Hot2Cold

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2014
Have contacted ScotiaBank as they allow one to open an account from UAE. Waiting for a response from them. Will update when I get one.

hotshot007

Apr 6, 2015
jc94 said:
I found HSBC useless. I went into a UK branch and was told there was no point opening an account there for Canada unless I earned over $200k a year or had $500k in savings (or something like that - numbers converting to Canadian $$$).

So I brought cash and on the first morning after I got my SIN I walked into a bank who told me to get lost. Because I only had a paper version of my SIN (on govt. canada paper, though it did look a bit unofficial surely they had seen it before?) So I walked into a different bank instead, who checked with the manager and were fine with that and got me setup.

I can't remember which bank told me to get lost - the corner I remember looking had a TD, CIBC and Scotia Bank, but RBC gave me an account. I'd suggest looking for what branches are closer to where you work or live if you know that...

I can't see a reply on taxes, so will answer.

You will file a tax return by April 30th the year after you land, regardless of if you spent 1 day or 366 in the country on the previous calendar year. You'll have to give details of when you entered and personally, based on the fact that I worked 46/52 weeks my first year potentially get a decent tax rebate.
Do you have to file taxes even though you are a non-resident for tax purposes after landing? I.e you have landed and gone back to your home country and will move permanently after a year, would I still need to file taxes?

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
I believe one has to file taxes if they had any income in Canada.

So if you land, go home, and don't work you should be fine as you won't get a T4 (tax form) from anyone. And likely won't have a house or address to send it to.

But I'm not 100% sorry! I think you'd be best off asking an expert ($$$) or maybe you can contact the Canadian tax peoples (not actually sure what they are called, I pray never to be contacted!)

One_Topsy

Champion Member
Sep 12, 2015
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
30-11-2015
Finally RBC has confirmed they can open the account for me and sent list of documents.

Mar 10, 2016
One_Topsy said:
Finally RBC has confirmed they can open the account for me and sent list of documents.
You're also going to Sask like me. Can you please forward the mail from them on RBC docs to poutineguy411@gmail.com? Are they allowing only 1 wire transfer before landing and is it free? I heard they also have preferential exchange rates for newcomers.

teewhy709

May 6, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
London VO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-Dec-2016
AOR Received.
05-Dec-2016
Med's Done....
Medical Passed
Passport Req..
Not Yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not Yet
LANDED..........
Not Yet
One_Topsy said:
Were you able to open this account with RBC

NetMecca

Dec 12, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
14-07-2009
karakou said:
Hello folks

If i open an account in Canada from abroad before i land, will i be consider for taxation from that date :eek: or from the day i land ?

Also, i know it might be out of subject :( , do i have to pay taxes if i landed after 1st of July (means i will be sending less than 6 month in the country)

Thanks in advance :D
I would suggest you contact an accountant to get a solid answer on that, however you pay taxes in a country generally based on your income while considered a resident of that country no matter where the income is earned. No need to worry about income prior that consideration. I believe resident is typically defined based on the number of days in a year you have spent in that country (and typically exceed approximately 6 months). Depending on tax treaties also even if you are required to pay taxes in Canada you may be able to get a tax credit for taxes paid elsewhere.

Good luck. This is potentially a complicated issue. If it is a serious concern I would suggest you hire a professional accountant (with international tax experience) for clear and solid advice.

hina zaidi

Aug 30, 2014
RBC can open open account from abroad. they do fast processing.

you dont hv to pay tax on your money. if you tranfering from abroad to canada.
you only pay tax on int. earn by your money in canadian account.

LokiJr01

Apr 13, 2016
Manila
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-06-2016
Doc's Request.
09-08-2016
Nomination.....
26-08-2016
AOR Received.
15-09-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
09-09-2016
Passport Req..
05-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
17-01-2017
Does RBC provide certification for POF purposes when you transfer funds to them ?

rafzy

Champion Member
Jan 31, 2015
Can you guys tell me if RBC allows first wire-transfer for free or not ?

Also, what documents do I have to send them while applying for Deposit account at RBC ?

xpressentry

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2016
London
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-03-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A - upfront
AOR Received.
29-03-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
28-03-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
You can apply for a bank account with RBC and Scotia Bank online before you arrive in Canada. I haven't done it but I saw the link to sign up as new permanent residents before arriving in Canada. Scotia Bank will give you $100 for opening an account and remaining in good standing (like no unpaid overdrafts or unpaid dues) after 3 months of opening the account.

astralsource

Champion Member
Jul 10, 2016
Croatia
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-04-2017
AOR Received.
22-04-2017
Med's Request
19-06-2017
Med's Done....
13-04-2017
Good thread.

And how do you transfer money to avoid rip-offs from the banks?

Can yo transfer money via TransferWise to your canadian account which is opened prior to landing?

hina zaidi

Aug 30, 2014
you cna open accont from aborad and its very fast, within weeks it can be done.

i did it it form dubai for RBC.

you can transfer money through bank transfer or through Money exchange house.
thye have 45$ charges for that.
negotiate the rate in conversion before sending. same will be transfer within 24 hours to your Canadian account.

thanks