+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Opening a Bank account in Canada from India after returning from the US

Mumbai2Canada

Star Member
Feb 19, 2019
Hey guys,

I intend to move to Canada as soon as the travel restrictions are lifted and was looking for suggestions on some of the initial financial aspects of it. Could someone please help with this.

I returned to India earlier this year and my Bank of America account is still active. This account holds the majority of funds that I intend to use for my initial settlement. I have seen a lot of people here open their Canadian Bank account prior to moving to Canada and doing the first time wire transfer to ensure they have funds when they land there. I was thinking of doing this but was confused about the address to use when creating the account as I have been reading about some people finding that their wire transfers were cancelled or rejected because of a discrepancy there. My Indian passport was issued to me in the US and so it has an American residential address and the wire transfer I intend to do would be from my American account so would both of these present complications if I were to open a Canadian Bank account(For eg. Scotiabank) from here in India? Is it better for me to just travel to Canada and open a bank account over there and then initiate transfers from my American account rather than try opening it from here in India?