+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

open work visa

blueblue

Dec 10, 2007
Were in the midst of applying for my husbands immigration (from within Canada). Hes currently on a working holiday visa, but it will expire before our application is approved. The immigration call centre suggested he apply to extend his work visa (Form 1249E), which I'm guessing would be the same as his working holiday and would be valid for a year only. Others have suggested an "open work visa". My question is, are they one and the same? If not, where can I get a copy of the application for an open work visa?

Gdaymate

Star Member
Sep 26, 2007
Hi blueblue

I'd use Form 1249E to apply for an OWP and if approved, it should be valid until such time as a final decision is made on your application.

hypnotic8

Dec 29, 2007
I would do the open work permit permit too, because it gives you implied status until they make a decision on your case. That means you can continue working until they process your OWP application, which will be after you get AIP (after 6 months).
This is the application form: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp
Just tick the C box for initial work permit and don't forget to mention not to have it processed until AIP is reached.