+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

open work permit

Discussion in 'Family Class Sponsorship' started by cyndicruz, Apr 26, 2010.

  1. hello , i'm applying for my permanent residence and i cant find anywheres in the CIC website the application for it . so if someone can pass me the link please!!! thanks
  2. If a spouse or common-law partner is sponsored from inside Canada, they can apply for an open work permit by completing an Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Worker (IMM 5553). This application must be sent before their status expires in the same envelope as the sponsorship application. This will allow them to keep a legal status in Canada up until the time their application for permanent residence is *approved in principle. If their status expires before the application for permanent residence is approved in principle, they will still have a legal status in Canada. This is called implied status. Please note that the open work permit will only be issued once the application for permanent residence is approved in principle. Visit our Web site to see how long it may take to get approval in principle.

    If the person being sponsored does not send both applications at the same time, they will have to wait until they get a letter stating that their permanent residence application has been approved in principle before they can submit an open work permit application. They must also make sure they maintain a legal status in Canada; their status might have to be extended more than once.

    *Approved in principle means that the person being sponsored received a letter from the Case Processing Centre or local office stating that they meet the eligibility (minimum) requirements to apply for permanent resident status but that a final decision will not be made until all requirements for becoming a permanent resident have been met. These requirements include medical, security and background checks for the applicant and, if applicable, their family members.

    The Internet links below will provide you with more detailed information:

    Description: Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Worker
    Address: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp

    Description: Your Status in Canada
    Address: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5289E10.asp

    Description: In-Canada Application Processing Times
    Address: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#perm_res
  3. Ok so i just have to fill out the application to extend your stay and canada to get my open work permit with my permanent residence application? thanks for all your information it was very helpful.
  4. Yes, fill in the right application form and tick the correct box where you choose to extend your stay and apply for an initial work permit.
  5. 8)
  6. perfect thank you so much for your help... I do have one more question my mom is going to fax me my background check from mexico is that ok if i send it with PR application , or i have to mail the original?
  7. I sent the original police certificate isseud from France with my PR application( If I remember well...they specify "original copy" on the checklist no?) and just kept a copy for myself, I think you can do the same thing as you wouldn't need the original copy yourself unless you make a new application for PR later on.
  8. one more thing, I'm not sure if the background check you mentioned means "police certificate" that should be sent if you have lived in any country for more than 6 months. If we aren't talking about the same thing, I think you have to look for more info about your inquiry. This is some info about police certificate:

    When you apply to become a permanent resident of Canada, you and your *family members, if applicable, must provide a police certificate, clearance or record of no information for each country you lived in for more than six months in the last 10 years. If you, or your family members, were under 18 years of age when you lived in one of those countries, you do not need to provide a police certificate for that country. Please visit our Web site for specific instructions on how to get a police certificate for each country. If you cannot get police certificates, you must send a written explanation with your application and an original letter from the police authorities confirming that they will not issue a certificate.
    Some countries may ask you to provide fingerprints, photos or a letter from Canadian immigration authorities explaining why you need a police certificate. Your local police or the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) may be able to tell you where you can get fingerprints taken. You do not need to send Citizenship and Immigration Canada a set of fingerprints when you submit your application, unless it is specifically requested in the instruction Guide that comes with your application kit. For all permanent residence applications processed inside Canada at the Case Processing Centre in Vegreville, Alberta, a police certificate for Canada is not required.
    Please note that for some countries, you should not get police certificates before applying for immigration; those countries are listed in the instruction Guide that comes with your application kit. In addition, if the police certificate is not English or French, you must also submit a certified translation from a professional translator.

    *A family member is a spouse, common-law partner, dependant child or dependant child of a dependant child.

    The Internet links below will provide you with more detailed information:

    Description: How to obtain a police certificate
    Address: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/index.asp

    Description: Fingerprints Request Letter (Adobe® Acrobat Reader required)
    Address: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/pdf/PC_LetterB_e.pdf

    Description: Request for Police Certificates/Clearances and Authorization for Release of Information (Adobe® Acrobat Reader required)
    Address: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/pdf/PC_LetterA_e.pdf
  9. Hi jaune, it seems you're the best person to ask about open work permits and how to obtain one. Will you please give me some advice regarding my situation?

    First of all, I'm Mark and my wife arrived in Canada (May 18, 2010) to work as a nurse. My 3 yr old son and I would like to join her asap and the best option we have right now is for me to get an open work permit. I have checked the CIC website but can't seem to find the guidelines or steps for my situation. Can you please help on the required documents I need to submit?

    Thanks in advance.

Share This Page