+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open work permit for spouse of international student

vatish

Star Member
May 9, 2013
Hello Everyone,

Sorry for starting a new thread for this issue but I could not find any recent discussion on this topic. I have got admission as a full time student in Canada and my wife will also be joining me. We are planning to apply for an open work permit for her.

Can you guys please share your knowledge on this? I need information like what is the probability of getting open work permit? what can be reasons for rejection? what can I do to make my application stronger? When should we apply for her permit? Should we wait till my visa is approved and then apply for her? How much funds do we need to show? etc etc

My wife has 3 years of experience as HR manager.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks.

JustJoined

Sep 10, 2013
vatish said:
Hello Everyone,

Sorry for starting a new thread for this issue but I could not find any recent discussion on this topic. I have got admission as a full time student in Canada and my wife will also be joining me. We are planning to apply for an open work permit for her.

Can you guys please share your knowledge on this? I need information like what is the probability of getting open work permit? what can be reasons for rejection? what can I do to make my application stronger? When should we apply for her permit? Should we wait till my visa is approved and then apply for her? How much funds do we need to show? etc etc

My wife has 3 years of experience as HR manager.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks.

@vatish

I applied for my wife and I together, study permit for myself as the principal applicant and open work permit for my wife as my dependent.

Many people apply alongside their spouses at the same time so i dont think its much of an issue whether you apply together or differently. Only thing is, you have to thoroughly satisfy the visa officer that you and your spouse will leave canada at the expiration of your visa.

I am not much of an authority on this (u know we all share experiences on this thread to help each other out ;)) but i will tell u the additional documents i added to my wife's open work permit application to prove that i still intend to leave after my studies even tho i came with my family;

- Marriage certificate

- Notarized scanned copies of her educational certificates to show she is employable in any general work

- I filled a seperate Family information form for my wife (showing details of her close blood ties with her relatives who are all residents of my home country)

- Pages of my wife's passport showing stamped visas of all the other countries we have visited together before my present application to CIC (this is to prove we left those countries even before the expiration of our visas PLUS we like traveling to everywhere together like two peas in a pod. One needs the other for emotional support)

- Letter of explanation stating candidly why i need her to come along.

- Letter of reference from her present employer to canadian consular office stating that they are aware she intends to visit and spend some time in canada with her spouse (pls note that Cic didn't ask for this. I just wanted to remove any suspicion over what happens to her work while she dashes off to live a year or two in canada. I didnt like the idea of resignation. That may seem to the visa officer like once she gets another job in canada, she will not want to leave the country again

If you intend to apply online, it will be much easier for you to remember and upload all the right documents once you generate your personal checklist code.

For the Proof of Funds part, since its just you and your wife, you should be looking at total of your tuition, health and living expenses for one year as is shown on your acceptance letter plus an additional $4000 CAD for your wife as your dependent. If you intend to also take dependent kids along, add $3000 CAD per kid.

For a specific calculation of exactly how much you will need to show in your bank statement, visit Cic official website and find the documents you will need for study. You will see the breakdown of how much you will need to show according to the province you ll be studying

Again, like i said before, i am not an authority on this matter. I JustJoined the forum recently after submitting my application 2weeks ago. All the info i've given you is based on my own personal application experience and people's help thru this thread. I pray to see a favorable response from Cic soon. Once am successful, i'll tell u

I hope this helps

Sep 22, 2013
@Just Joined.

May God lay his hands on your application. By his grace, we gonna celebrate the favorable outcome on this forum.

And before I forget, thanks a bunch for that detailed response. It was surely more than helpful.

Cheers!!!!!!

vatish

Star Member
May 9, 2013
I have few other doubts you guys can help me with.

My course is for two years so do I need to show funds for both the years? Can I submit a letter from my Father/Father in law stating that he will support me during my stay in Canada?

Should I submit application online or on paper? Does it make any difference?

vatish

Star Member
May 9, 2013
JustJoined said:
@ vatish

I applied for my wife and I together, study permit for myself as the principal applicant and open work permit for my wife as my dependent.

Many people apply alongside their spouses at the same time so i dont think its much of an issue whether you apply together or differently. Only thing is, you have to thoroughly satisfy the visa officer that you and your spouse will leave canada at the expiration of your visa.

I am not much of an authority on this (u know we all share experiences on this thread to help each other out ;)) but i will tell u the additional documents i added to my wife's open work permit application to prove that i still intend to leave after my studies even tho i came with my family;

- Marriage certificate

- Notarized scanned copies of her educational certificates to show she is employable in any general work

- I filled a seperate Family information form for my wife (showing details of her close blood ties with her relatives who are all residents of my home country)

- Pages of my wife's passport showing stamped visas of all the other countries we have visited together before my present application to CIC (this is to prove we left those countries even before the expiration of our visas PLUS we like traveling to everywhere together like two peas in a pod. One needs the other for emotional support)

- Letter of explanation stating candidly why i need her to come along.

- Letter of reference from her present employer to canadian consular office stating that they are aware she intends to visit and spend some time in canada with her spouse (pls note that Cic didn't ask for this. I just wanted to remove any suspicion over what happens to her work while she dashes off to live a year or two in canada. I didnt like the idea of resignation. That may seem to the visa officer like once she gets another job in canada, she will not want to leave the country again

If you intend to apply online, it will be much easier for you to remember and upload all the right documents once you generate your personal checklist code.

For the Proof of Funds part, since its just you and your wife, you should be looking at total of your tuition, health and living expenses for one year as is shown on your acceptance letter plus an additional $4000 CAD for your wife as your dependent. If you intend to also take dependent kids along, add $3000 CAD per kid.

For a specific calculation of exactly how much you will need to show in your bank statement, visit Cic official website and find the documents you will need for study. You will see the breakdown of how much you will need to show according to the province you ll be studying

Again, like i said before, i am not an authority on this matter. I JustJoined the forum recently after submitting my application 2weeks ago. All the info i've given you is based on my own personal application experience and people's help thru this thread. I pray to see a favorable response from Cic soon. Once am successful, i'll tell u

I hope this helps

Have you received response for your application?

Amrutha

Oct 8, 2013
Hi all,

Even i am suffering with the same problem. My husband have applied for trv and got rejected on this oct 7th.I came here on 11th sept So please tell me can he apply immediately for the open work permit(i.e in 10 days ) or should he wait for more time. Plz guide me. I am planning to do it through consultancy now is it ok.

Thank u

janab

Feb 24, 2012
karachi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Amrutha said:
Hi all,

Even i am suffering with the same problem. My husband have applied for trv and got rejected on this oct 7th.I came here on 11th sept So please tell me can he apply immediately for the open work permit(i.e in 10 days ) or should he wait for more time. Plz guide me. I am planning to do it through consultancy now is it ok.

Thank u
i am not a senior member on this forum, but would like to contribute, its might be helpful for you or others.
To get the visa we need to prove/show strong ties to back home that we will be back after completion, you got visa and you shown that you leaving your husband in back home, and its shows your intention that you will be back after completion.

and your husband applied after you got the visa , so my dear hopefully you got the point.

pmkalra

Feb 26, 2014
Dear All
The info provided here is very useful. I have few questions after reading this post.

My wife intends to pursue higher studies and we have a kid 1.5 years. I already have a 10 year business visitor visa for Canada. I am planning to apply for a student visa for her (fixed the college and program - 3year Co-op in a top college in the area of her specialization) and open work permit for myself.

Have few questions -
1. Is this arrangement a problem? How do I increase my chances of acceptance. Looking at Amrutha's case, it is giving me doubts.
2. I don't intend to pursue the option of living separately and hence how do I ensure that both of us are together. Is it possible to apply together - her student permit and my open work permit?

Would be very grateful if people can clear my doubts and help.

Thanks

arveeskrish

Oct 4, 2014
Hello friends,
im new to this forum..i want to ask some questions pls help me..
My wife is planning to apply 11 months diploma in Project management course in University of Winnipeg,Manitoba. she have bachelor of science (maths) and more than 9 years of experience in MNC as project co-ordinator. i will also accompany her for applying for a spousal open work permit. we have one daughter 4 years planning to leave her in india with my wife's father and mother.

Can you guys please share your knowledge on this? I need information like

1.what is the probability of getting spousal open work permit?
2.can i apply TRV or Open work permit?
3.what can be reasons for rejection?
4.what can I do to make my application stronger?
5.what are the documents should i submit?
6. is it be a strong tie if we leave my daughter in india?

I am Bcom graduate and have 10 years of work experience in medical sales field.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks.

JenniferChua

Mar 2, 2017
Hello Guys, I'm very new to this forum and will need your help. I have received a conditional acceptance from a college in Canada. I only need to take the academic test for IELTS and meet the band requirements to receive a full acceptance. Meanwhile, I have started my application for a student permit in the CIC website(I haven't submitted it yet because I'm still gathering other required documents). I'm not going through any agency so I'm just reading the instructions in the CIC website. Here are my questions:

1.) I have indicated in my ongoing CIC application that I will be bringing my husband with me. Does he need to apply separately from me by creating a separate CIC profile? I have read several posts in the website but I find it confusing.
2.) based on one cic article (apologies, I'm not allowed to post links), my husband can apply for a work permit if i am full time student and have a valid work permit. Does this mean that he should the apply, after my student permit has been granted? I'm confused about the order when he can apply for this. we are planning to go to Canada at about the same time period.

thanks so much for any help you guys can provide!

hopeful64

Apr 8, 2017
others say, the spouse should independently prove himself/herself as fund-independent. can we both show then our joint account on each of our applications. yeah, are we able to submit applications at the same time, or until we get a unique client ID since it is necessary in one of the forms of the open work permit application. have time to scan all the documents needed

also, especially those who were approved, what do you mention in your SOP why you guys need to bring your dependents with you. For me, i think, since student visa holders are only allowed 20hrs per week, the husband with a full time job can support the studying spouse with the expenses.

jaza

May 29, 2017
Hi there,

I am new at this and been struggling to figure out if under a full time English program for my wife I am going to be able yo obtain an Open Work Permit as her dependent. I have a MSc degree in Computer Sciences from an American university but I am latin american. So I have read if she is enrrolled in a Designated Institution as full time student I can obtain the Open Work Permit for the same time she holds a valid Study Permit. Has somebody got a Open Work Permit as dependent of a ESL student?

Thanks soo much.