+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work Permit for Spouse (after initial solo study permit application)

newuser86

Jan 30, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
30-03-2023
Med's Done....
09-02-2023
Hey guys,
Now that I have gotten the study permit, and I am thinking to apply for my spouse's open work permit and for my children to accompany me. Are there anyone else who is contemplating this, after their initial single application?

benygod2

Jul 19, 2016
Hey guys,
Now that I have gotten the study permit, and I am thinking to apply for my spouse's open work permit and for my children to accompany me. Are there anyone else who is contemplating this, after their initial single application?
Please can you update us on the process. Have you commenced?

gychemist

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
Hey guys,
Hey, Actually I am thinking on the same pathway... my daughter and wife has valid visa. So I plan to extended for my daughter since she will be able to study while I have a student visa, and for wife I plan for her to apply for her OWP once we get there.
Where did you get your medical done in Guyana... I am waiting for almost 1 week for Caribbean Surgery to send up my report... all the best.
Still waiting for approval to come through..... hopefully my medical get send up soon.

gychemist

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
Hey guys,
Oh did you get back your passport... did they include about working on your visa?

newuser86

Jan 30, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
30-03-2023
Med's Done....
09-02-2023
Hey, Actually I am thinking on the same pathway... my daughter and wife has valid visa. So I plan to extended for my daughter since she will be able to study while I have a student visa, and for wife I plan for her to apply for her OWP once we get there.
Where did you get your medical done in Guyana... I am waiting for almost 1 week for Caribbean Surgery to send up my report... all the best.
Still waiting for approval to come through..... hopefully my medical get send up soon.
I did my medical at Medical Arts, ironically my medical status has not been updated to passed. Not sure why but the I have received my passport with the study visa approval. I have heard about a delay from Caribbean Surgery from others, this is odd. The physician normally uploads it while doing it and sends off right after completing the examination.
Also I think that your daughter will need a study permit as well and it may be better to apply for your spouse's OWP from outside of Canada.

Best wishes for the approval ASAP!

gychemist

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
I did my medical at Medical Arts, ironically my medical status has not been updated to passed. Not sure why but the I have received my passport with the study visa approval. I have heard about a delay from Caribbean Surgery from others, this is odd. The physician normally uploads it while doing it and sends off right after completing the examination.
Also I think that your daughter will need a study permit as well and it may be better to apply for your spouse's OWP from outside of Canada.

Best wishes for the approval ASAP!
Thanks for the update. As per this link minor kids do not need study permit:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/guidelines-on-minor-children.html

Is a study permit required? [A30(2)]
Minor children already in Canada are authorized to study without a study permit at the pre-school, primary or secondary level if

• they are either accompanying parents claiming refugee status or are claimants themselves;
  • one of their parents (biological or adoptive) is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident;
  • one of their parents (biological or adoptive) is authorized to work or study in Canada; this includes temporary residents who are
    • work permit holders,
    • study permit holders,
    • visitor status holders (e.g., visitor record holders) who are either authorized to work without a permit, as persection 186 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR), or authorized to study without a permit, as per section R188; or
  • neither parent is physically in Canada.
As per your suggestion for spouse's OWP from outside of Canada.

I plan to apply inside Canada, because most likely I will get my visa on arrival at Airport... and to apply for OWP you need a copy of student visa.
Also I had done a consultation with a lawyer in Canada and he said it is okay to apply from inside too so now just waiting.

Thanks and good Luck.

newuser86

Jan 30, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
30-03-2023
Med's Done....
09-02-2023
Thanks for the update. As per this link minor kids do not need study permit:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/guidelines-on-minor-children.html

Is a study permit required? [A30(2)]
Minor children already in Canada are authorized to study without a study permit at the pre-school, primary or secondary level if

• they are either accompanying parents claiming refugee status or are claimants themselves;
  • one of their parents (biological or adoptive) is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident;
  • one of their parents (biological or adoptive) is authorized to work or study in Canada; this includes temporary residents who are
    • work permit holders,
    • study permit holders,
    • visitor status holders (e.g., visitor record holders) who are either authorized to work without a permit, as persection 186 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR), or authorized to study without a permit, as per section R188; or
  • neither parent is physically in Canada.
As per your suggestion for spouse's OWP from outside of Canada.

I plan to apply inside Canada, because most likely I will get my visa on arrival at Airport... and to apply for OWP you need a copy of student visa.
Also I had done a consultation with a lawyer in Canada and he said it is okay to apply from inside too so now just waiting.

Thanks and good Luck.

Ok great!
I have read the same info from the website (about the minors) however, I've seen many cases where the children's application was converted to study permit and then a request for the fees difference payment. However, the lawyer may know another route.
What's your timeline now?

Best wishes!

gychemist

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
Ok great!
I have read the same info from the website (about the minors) however, I've seen many cases where the children's application was converted to study permit and then a request for the fees difference payment. However, the lawyer may know another route.
What's your timeline now?

Best wishes!
This week will be my 7 weeks.. still waiting on medical to be submit.

gychemist

Star Member
Jan 29, 2015
Any update?
And any further information regarding taking along the family?
My Medical was finally submitted last Saturday... so now I am waiting on final decision. Both wife and Kid have visa, so once I hear good news I will apply for OWP from Canada and apply for ext... for kid to attend school.

Thanks

newuser86

Jan 30, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
30-03-2023
Med's Done....
09-02-2023
My Medical was finally submitted last Saturday... so now I am waiting on final decision. Both wife and Kid have visa, so once I hear good news I will apply for OWP from Canada and apply for ext... for kid to attend school.

Thanks
Great, Best wishes!

I.D.S

Star Member
Feb 14, 2019
Hi I applied for a study permit and got approval for fall 2019 and applied for OWP for my spouse today.