+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

open work permit for my spouse

sammydhindsa

Oct 5, 2015
Hello there,
I am Navneet from India. I am a full time international student at NAIT in Alberta, Canada. My study will start in January 2016. I need some information about OWP. My husband is working as a teller in Citibank from past 5 years. He has worked as insurance agent and at ICICI bank as well. In total he has 10 years of work experience.
1. who can apply for OWP? Can my husband apply from India or I will have to apply from Canada on his behalf.
2. when we can apply for OWP? As i have mentioned that my course will start in January 2016, which means i will get my enrolment letter in January only. Now the question is that Will i have to complete one semester before applying OWP or i just need my enrolment letter stating that i am a full time student.
3. Do we need to show any bank balance for it? If my husband applies from india and/or if i apply from Canada on his behalf, do we need to show any bank balance in either case to prove that we have sufficient funds to support my spouse? As we know that OWP was started to provide some help to full time students with their living expenses and college fee by enabling their spouse to work in Canada without getting an employment letter in advance. So i do not think that it is required. Kindly clear my doubt on this and if we have to show some bank balance then how much it would be?
4. OWP states that spouse of full time international student can do any work. so my question is that can he do any work like driving truck or taxi or he must get a job of AOB skill level.

Please reply asap. Kindly provide additional information about OWP if you have.
Thanks a ton in advance.

Regards
N Dhindsa

Sonata95

Jul 23, 2008
just share my case, my spouse got study permit then myself and two kids applied visitor visa and got approved two days ago. as my understanding your husband visa must depend his employment contract, financial and home ties. if your husband confident about this one he can apply wop or visitor visa. You can change visitor visa to wop after your husband arrive canada

Sonata95

Jul 23, 2008
sammydhindsa said:
we do have strong home ties and a stable job as well
how much bank balance did u show for visitor visa?

Showed whatever you have. If you want to do visitor visa (TRV) try to read this thread:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spouse-trv-approved-t245309.0.html