+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open work Permit Expiry

sakshi2982

Oct 30, 2007
Hi,

I am here in Canada on an "open work Permit". The open work permit expires on July 20. My husband was asked to extend his work permit till december. So it means I can also extend my open work permit till december. The problem is that the employer wont apply for the spouse's extension. So my husband has applied for the extension and I am waiting for his work permit to come and I can apply for extension after that. The problem is even though my husband applied for the extension a month ago, they contacted him today that some document was missing ... So it means it will take longer for his work permit to come. My question is ..

1) If his work permit comes late say around july 15 and i apply for extension at that date, Can I stay in canada or contine working after July 20 or will I have to leave?
2) I am currently looking for a job and may land a job which has a contract for 6 months.If I land the job, Can I continue working after I have applied for extension but not recieved it?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

sakshi2982 said:
Hi,

I am here in Canada on an "open work Permit". The open work permit expires on July 20. My husband was asked to extend his work permit till december. So it means I can also extend my open work permit till december. The problem is that the employer wont apply for the spouse's extension. So my husband has applied for the extension and I am waiting for his work permit to come and I can apply for extension after that. The problem is even though my husband applied for the extension a month ago, they contacted him today that some document was missing ... So it means it will take longer for his work permit to come. My question is ..

1) If his work permit comes late say around july 15 and i apply for extension at that date, Can I stay in canada or contine working after July 20 or will I have to leave?
2) I am currently looking for a job and may land a job which has a contract for 6 months.If I land the job, Can I continue working after I have applied for extension but not recieved it?
You should have sent your request for SOWP with your spouses extension request. You will have implied status to remain as a visitor, since you are not working you can't take a new job until you receive your WP.

PMM

dev.gavande

Star Member
May 13, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12 Apr 2015
AOR Received.
12 Apr 2015
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Done....
08 May 2015
Passport Req..
31-Jul-2015
Hi,
I have a dilemma about extension of spouse open work permit. The rules are not very clearly stated on CIC website and creates confusion.
I already have open work permit and has started working here in canada.

My situation is:
My husband's study permit expiry: 30 Nov 2014
My passport expiry: 27 Oct 2014
My work permit expiry: 27 Sep 2014
I will be applying for passport renewal here and will get by May 2014.
My husband will apply for an off-campus work permit in June2014 through which he will get off-campus WP till Dec 2014. He will apply for an actual Work permit once he receives his transcripts in Oct 2014 approximately.

Question is:
2) How and when do I apply for extension so that it comes before my WP expiry? Do i apply for one extension after I get new passport which hopefully get me a WP till Nov 2014. and Then apply with my husband in Oct 2014 for another extension?

I am really confused and cannot find any answers online. I would like to know if you can help me. Do let me know.
Also, can I apply for PR during this time? Is it valid?

Dev