+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open work permit during pr processing

cksdncksn

Feb 8, 2023
Hello,

I recently received Approval in Principle (AiP) which I need for an open work permit, as I am currently out-of-status. When I submitted my Permanent Residency (PR) application, I had already paid the fees for the open work permit.

However, I am unsure whether I need to apply separately for the open work permit or if it is automatically applied. If I do need to apply separately, could you please advise me on where to apply or where I should link my file if it is automatically applied?

I have attempted to use GCKey to submit my application but have been unable to figure it out.

Thank you for your assistance.

leo89b

Mar 2, 2023
Interested to know these details as well. Asper my knowledge we have to apply for OWP but I might be wrong.
paid the fees with inland application and waiting for AOR.

If you can answer these questions it will be really helpful.
1. PA's PGWP is going to expire in May and submitted Inland application on Feb 10. What if we don't get any updates till May? PA has to leave Canada?
2. If PA can stay in Canada, can work on current job or it's not possible?

Thank you.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I recently received Approval in Principle (AiP) which I need for an open work permit, as I am currently out-of-status. When I submitted my Permanent Residency (PR) application, I had already paid the fees for the open work permit.

However, I am unsure whether I need to apply separately for the open work permit or if it is automatically applied. If I do need to apply separately, could you please advise me on where to apply or where I should link my file if it is automatically applied?

I have attempted to use GCKey to submit my application but have been unable to figure it out.

Thank you for your assistance.
Try this:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/spouse-common-law-partner-canada-open-work-permit.html

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interested to know these details as well. Asper my knowledge we have to apply for OWP but I might be wrong.
paid the fees with inland application and waiting for AOR.

If you can answer these questions it will be really helpful.
1. PA's PGWP is going to expire in May and submitted Inland application on Feb 10. What if we don't get any updates till May? PA has to leave Canada?
2. If PA can stay in Canada, can work on current job or it's not possible?

Thank you.
1. No. An Inland applicant must continue to live in Canada during the entire process. The PA would need to change their status to Visitor unless they receive the AOR email from IRCC, which would then allow them to submit an Open Work Permit (OWP) application. This would give them Maintained Status until the OWP (or PR) has been processed and approved.

2. Most PGWPs are not extendable, so PA would probably need to cease working.

leo89b

Mar 2, 2023
1. No. An Inland applicant must continue to live in Canada during the entire process. The PA would need to change their status to Visitor unless they receive the AOR email from IRCC, which would then allow them to submit an Open Work Permit (OWP) application. This would give them Maintained Status until the OWP (or PR) has been processed and approved.

2. Most PGWPs are not extendable, so PA would probably need to cease working.
Thank you for your response.

What is the process to change status to visitor?

NuvaMfar

Jun 18, 2022
Hey, @leo89b were you able to get work permit? Same situation, applied out of status, got AIP recently. Please share if It's worth applying for OWP? thanks!