+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open work permit and opening a company

cazrypr

Star Member
May 15, 2012
Hi,

I am here in Canada on open work permit, and applied for cec in 2012 and now waiting. Can anyone please help by answering are we allowed to open a company( incorporation) in canada on work permit?

And also if we can open sole proprietorship on open work permit?

Thank you.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
cazrypr said:
Hi,

I am here in Canada on open work permit, and applied for cec in 2012 and now waiting. Can anyone please help by answering are we allowed to open a company( incorporation) in canada on work permit?

Thank you.
I'm in the same boat. Hoping for someone to shed light on that issue...

natinthehat

Star Member
Jul 24, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
03-09-2013
LANDED..........
08-11-2013
cazrypr said:
Hi,

Thank you.
General rule: only Canadian citizens or landed immigrants can start sole proprietorship. However, you can start partnership or corporation by teaming up with Canadian citizen or landed immigrant as a partner.

xihy06

Star Member
Jul 15, 2013
Germany
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-Aug-2013
Doc's Request.
10-Mar-2014
AOR Received.
09-Oct-2013
IELTS Request
Submitted with app
Med's Done....
Upfront 01-Dec-2013
Passport Req..
27-May-2014; VO change Req.:28-May; Confirmation Rec.: 12-June
Hey what I know is my husband who is holding a spouse open WP registered a sole proprietorship earlier this year in Quebec. He just did it online by filling the business information and everything, and paid the fee (very little, $50 or so). What he had to provide is just his name, address, SIN, and something about the business. Though his business hasnt started yet ;D,, it seems that's ok for WP holders to run small business. Just follow the guide on CRA somewhere business section if you are in ON or other provinces i think you will find something helpful

natinthehat

Star Member
Jul 24, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
03-09-2013
LANDED..........
08-11-2013
xihy06 said:
Hey what I know is my husband who is holding a spouse open WP registered a sole proprietorship earlier this year in Quebec. He just did it online by filling the business information and everything, and paid the fee (very little, $50 or so). What he had to provide is just his name, address, SIN, and something about the business. Though his business hasnt started yet ;D,, it seems that's ok for WP holders to run small business. Just follow the guide on CRA somewhere business section if you are in ON or other provinces i think you will find something helpful
Few years ago my friend, foreign national, and I wanted to register a business, we were told by a lawyer we had to get a Canadian partner on board ??? If that was a wrong advise, then my previous statement is irrelevant.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
natinthehat said:
Few years ago my friend, foreign national, and I wanted to register a business, we were told by a lawyer we had to get a Canadian partner on board ??? If that was a wrong advise, then my previous statement is irrelevant.
Maybe it varies from province to province?

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
Aten said:
Few years before you could have registered in BC. now I dont think so.
Do you have any information about that process in BC? As I'm living in BC and I want to start
up a little business on the side when I get my BOWP in December.

Aten

Star Member
Apr 12, 2013
I dont have any information. My friend had registered in BC in 2010 as it was the only province which allowed to do so. Now wen he became PR he disposed that company and registered in Ontario. I ll talk to him and ll let u know.

Thanks.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
Aten said:
I dont have any information. My friend had registered in BC in 2010 as it was the only province which allowed to do so. Now wen he became PR he disposed that company and registered in Ontario. I ll talk to him and ll let u know.

Thanks.
That'd be great! Thanks a lot. Anything he can tell me would be more than I know as of now.

natinthehat

Star Member
Jul 24, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
03-09-2013
LANDED..........
08-11-2013
Here's what I found for BC: you actually don't have to register business if you are a sole proprietor in BC (aka operating under your own name). But you might have to register with local authority if you need a business licence. Which is kinda scary and now I understand what my friend from Alberta meant by saying 'BC'd shady economy' 8)
Lots of info on business registry in BC is here http://www.bcregistryservices.gov.bc.ca/bcreg/corppg/partnership/index.page

sabidhawan

Star Member
Jul 14, 2011
I am currently on open work permit and have registered business for last 4 years and also file HST for which you have to provide SIN number and i had no issues . Although i am not sure about incorporation

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
sabidhawan said:
I am currently on open work permit and have registered business for last 4 years and also file HST for which you have to provide SIN number and i had no issues . Although i am not sure about incorporation
What province is that?