+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open Work "Bridging" Permit Concerns

Digital_Tofu

Star Member
Apr 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So I submitted my application for PR in December, my current work permit expires at the end of May. I submitted my application for the Open Work Permit a while ago and it SHOULD be approved before my current permit expires.

My question is...

What are the restrictions of having an Open Work Permit in regards to overseas travel? I'm hoping to hop over the boarder to a friend's wedding in San Fran in October. My PR won't be approved by then, but the Open Work Permit is valid for the year from approval date. Has anyone traveled abroad on an Open Work Permit and had issues with immigration on re entry? I would hate to make it more complicated and have a long chat with immigration if I can avoid it.

Also, I submitted my application via post, not online. The CIC website says a processing time of about 50 days. Has anyone been able to confirm this time or did it happen faster/slower?

Waiting is the hardest part....

Thanks

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
Digital_Tofu said:
So I submitted my application for PR in December, my current work permit expires at the end of May. I submitted my application for the Open Work Permit a while ago and it SHOULD be approved before my current permit expires.

My question is...

What are the restrictions of having an Open Work Permit in regards to overseas travel? I'm hoping to hop over the boarder to a friend's wedding in San Fran in October. My PR won't be approved by then, but the Open Work Permit is valid for the year from approval date. Has anyone traveled abroad on an Open Work Permit and had issues with immigration on re entry? I would hate to make it more complicated and have a long chat with immigration if I can avoid it.

Also, I submitted my application via post, not online. The CIC website says a processing time of about 50 days. Has anyone been able to confirm this time or did it happen faster/slower?

Waiting is the hardest part....

Thanks
You can travel, no problem. All you need is a valid TRV ( if applicable ) when you re-enter Canada.
I traveled like a hundred times across the border, as I only live 10 mins away from the line.

Digital_Tofu

Star Member
Apr 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
iam_toby said:
You can travel, no problem. All you need is a valid TRV ( if applicable ) when you re-enter Canada.
I traveled like a hundred times across the border, as I only live 10 mins away from the line.
Thanks very much! That puts me at ease. Also, how long did your permit take to arrive once you submitted your application?

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
Digital_Tofu said:
Thanks very much! That puts me at ease. Also, how long did your permit take to arrive once you submitted your application?
I think it was around 5 days for me, I live in BC.

sandy4pr

Apr 2, 2014
iam_toby said:
Can we travel with open work permit , I mean having only open work permit and without the TRV??

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
1. CIC does not promise that new WP will be approved before current WP expires. If current WP expires before new WP is approved than you enters "implied status" which mean that you can continue to work without formal WP until decision on your application is made or until you're leaving Canada. If you leaved Canada when on "implied status" and re-enter again, than you're losing right to work until positive decision is made on your BOWP application.
2. BOWP by self does not allow re-entry to Canada as it is not replacement for visa. If you're not from visa-exempt country, than you need right type of visa to re-enter Canada.

Digital_Tofu

Star Member
Apr 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pfse said:
1. CIC does not promise that new WP will be approved before current WP expires. If current WP expires before new WP is approved than you enters "implied status" which mean that you can continue to work without formal WP until decision on your application is made or until you're leaving Canada. If you leaved Canada when on "implied status" and re-enter again, than you're losing right to work until positive decision is made on your BOWP application.
2. BOWP by self does not allow re-entry to Canada as it is not replacement for visa. If you're not from visa-exempt country, than you need right type of visa to re-enter Canada.

So essentially you are saying that I will not be able to leave the country when I am here under the BOWP? This is my concern, different people say different things. I couldn't locate any information on the CIC website in regards to overseas travel on Open Work Permit.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
sandy4pr said:
Can we travel with open work permit , I mean having only open work permit and without the TRV??
No, to re-enter Canada you need a valid TRV if you're not from a visa exempt country.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
Digital_Tofu said:
So essentially you are saying that I will not be able to leave the country when I am here under the BOWP? This is my concern, different people say different things. I couldn't locate any information on the CIC website in regards to overseas travel on Open Work Permit.
Wrong. If you get your BOWP in the mail, you can leave and re-enter as long as you have a valid TRV if you're not from a visa exempt country.

Digital_Tofu

Star Member
Apr 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
iam_toby said:
Wrong. If you get your BOWP in the mail, you can leave and re-enter as long as you have a valid TRV if you're not from a visa exempt country.
Ah ok, that makes more sense. I am from a visa exempt country (Australia), so the BWOP with suffice as documentation to travel down to the states then?

Thanks for you advice!

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
Digital_Tofu said:
Ah ok, that makes more sense. I am from a visa exempt country (Australia), so the BWOP with suffice as documentation to travel down to the states then?

Thanks for you advice!
Yes. I'm from Germany and therefore visa exempt and I cross the line on a weekly basis. So yes, you can travel on a BOWP as long
as you have a valid TRV or are from a visa exempt country.

Digital_Tofu

Star Member
Apr 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
iam_toby said:
Yes. I'm from Germany and therefore visa exempt and I cross the line on a weekly basis. So yes, you can travel on a BOWP as long
as you have a valid TRV or are from a visa exempt country.
Thanks for the assistance!

Maxim1251

Star Member
Sep 17, 2013
GTA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2013-07-12
AOR Received.
2013-09-12
IELTS Request
Submitted with package
Med's Request
2014-02-25
Med's Done....
2014-03-04 (received on 2014-03-13)
Passport Req..
2014-04-10
VISA ISSUED...
2014-04-14
LANDED..........
2014-04-17
iam_toby said:
No, to re-enter Canada you need a valid TRV if you're not from a visa exempt country.
I believe you can actually enter Canada with expired TRV, but you need to come from US and some other "adjacent" territories, and, I presume, you should enter by land, not by plane. And, of course, you need a proof that you allowed to continue staying in Canada (I presume work permit with later expiration date fulfills this criteria). There was an CIC answer to similar frequently asking question

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
Maxim1251 said:
I believe you can actually enter Canada with expired TRV, but you need to come from US and some other "adjacent" territories, and, I presume, you should enter by land, not by plane. And, of course, you need a proof that you allowed to continue staying in Canada (I presume work permit with later expiration date fulfills this criteria). There was an CIC answer to similar frequently asking question
Looks like you're right. However, the OP is from a visa exempt country and therefore doesn't even need a TRV.

Expired Temporary Resident Visa

You can ask to come back to Canada on your original temporary resident visa, even if it is expired, if:
you will only visit the U.S. or St. Pierre and Miquelon, and
you will return to Canada before the end of your approved stay in Canada.
>> http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=208&t=17