+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Open PG Work Permit Extension - Need Help

canada_pr_wanted

Apr 19, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Everyone,

My Open PGWP is about to expire very soon, and I have only 425 points so far ... chances of securing the ITA before my WP expires are very slim , though I am retaking the IELTS to improve some points.

My current employer is willing to keep me employed as long I maintain " legal to work " status and asking for the proof to continue work after the WP expires .. so I am very frustrated and need some help in this regard.

I found this link (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=474&t=4) regarding my situation and I am planing to apply for the extension and have few questions:

1: If you are exempt from the LMIA process, your employer will need to pay the employer compliance fee and submit a new Offer of Employment form (PDF, 1.12 MB) to Citizenship and Immigration Canada. - does the the employer need to pay the fee on behalf of me ?

2: and in the document it asks for Expected start date of employment (YYYY-MM-DD) ? I am currently employed since a year so what date should I fill

what should I choose for Title of LMIA exemption being requested ?

I am guessing LMO exempt renewals

3: What is LMIA exempt code ? (LMO Exempt renewals doesn't have a code .. what should I fill)

4: What are all the FEES involved (breakdown)?

5: If my employer fills the application and I submit it to CIC can I continue working or Do I need to wait until I receive the decision ?

6: If I continue to work even before the decision is made , does this work count towards my experience - even if I am not granted the WP extension after processing

7: Do I need to apply for TRV before my WP expires to continue my stay in Canada ? or just the WP extension app is sufficient ?

8: If I Improve my EE score and able to get ITA after my WP expires, and before any decision is made while under Implied Status can I still accept the ITA and submit my documents ?

your help in this regard will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hansdza

Mar 7, 2013
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Unfortunately most of PGWP holders are non LMIA exempt.. Thus you need to apply for LMIA to continue your current job.

Sourcehttp://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-permit.asp

If your employer can apply for LMIA that would be your only chance otherwise you should stop working once your work permit expires. Your controller or payroll person will be held responsible if they keep hiring you if your work permit (and SIN number) expire. You can apply visitor visa and remain in Canada if you are granted the visa.

LMIA is your only chance now.

You can apply provincial nominee such as OOPNP or other PNP. Hopefully you can get one.

Good luck mate..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You're not LMIA exempt. If you want to extent your work permit your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA.

Vixkingo

Sep 4, 2015
I am in the same situation and I talked to a lady at ESDC and she assured me that due to the circumstances right now, my application for Lmia has 90% chance of being denied. My pgwp expires very soon. My question is the same, can I send in an application while on implied status once I receive an invitation to apply??

A consultant told me the only way around it is to apply for the lmia and get CIC to hold your documents for 60 days wherein you can continue working and hope you get an invitation to apply and if you do not apply for restoration of status coz we shall have 30 more days. That's if you do not get the lmia. Same situation here and I am very confused but after reading Jsin's experience, I am a bit hopeful. Its all hope and prayers.

Keep me posted on what your steps are going to be.

francko

Jul 15, 2015
edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
23 March
AOR Received.
12th april
I'm in the same situation me too with my PGWP expire in june 2016
I got 425 me too.
Hard to admit it but we only have hope now
But I'm sure it will be ok

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Vixkingo said:
I am in the same situation and I talked to a lady at ESDC and she assured me that due to the circumstances right now, my application for Lmia has 90% chance of being denied. My pgwp expires very soon. My question is the same, can I send in an application while on implied status once I receive an invitation to apply??
so far as I know, any applications need to be submitted while you have valid status. You cannot apply for extensions etc while on implied.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
PGWP is once in a lifetime. You can't extent it. You can, however, apply LMIA and get an work permit and continue your job. But technically you would be a TFW, not PGWP.

And getting LMIA is virtually impossible for almost all jobs considering current economic situation right now.

Hansdza

Mar 7, 2013
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
what are your guys EE Score?

I would be very careful with implied status. If I am not mistaken, the applicant would be considered "IN STATUS" if their temporary permit expires and they are applying for extension. Meaning you have to apply Work Permit during that time and that application should be received (not rejected or incomplete).

If your score is way too low for EE and getting LMIA is impossible, then PNP is your last chance...

Vixkingo

Sep 4, 2015
So this is the situation,

1. I called CIC and they told me that if my work permit is expiring, I can apply for extension and this is what I was told to do.

Still awaiting the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) confirmation or the Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ)

If you are ready to submit a work permit application and are still waiting for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) or a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ), you may submit the work permit application only within 2 weeks of the expiry date of your status and include proof that the LMIA/CAQ request was made. You must:
• Include a copy of the application sent to Employment and Social Development Canada /Immigration Québec, or
• Include a copy of the receipt confirmation number, if the request was done online, or
• Indicate, in section Details of Intended Work in Canada of the Work Permit application, ◦ the date the LMIA/CAQ request was sent,
◦ which office it was sent to,
◦ the employer’s name, and
◦ the confirmation number for the submission, if available.

You must contact our Call Centre with the LMIA/CAQ confirmation number within 2 months of the reception date of your application; otherwise the Case Processing Centre may refuse the application.

So basically if you have sent in your Lmia application, you have 60 days to let them know of any change, now of course if you are like me and live in Alberta, the province is not allowing any more nominations until next year. So basically you have 1 hope, apply for lmia that most probably will be rejected and then restore status or go visitor visa and wait until next year or hope to be given an ita pretty soon.

My question is if you get an invitation to apply while on implied status, can you submit an application or you have to wait until you get either work permit or visitor visa to be processed. Please advise on the best way possible to avoid rejection as I have all my documentation ready to submit as soon as I get an ita. My points are 468.