+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

open or close work permit after PNP a approval?

sofie66

Aug 15, 2015
[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]I ask this because many of my friends got
a closed work permit after PNP approval ,however I notice this situation is a bit different from what I saw on CIC website as below:

Extend your work permit – Economic class applicants
If you are currently working in Canada and you have applied for permanent residence, you may be eligible for a bridging open work permit if your work permit will expire in four months or less. This means you can keep working while we make a decision on your permanent resident application.

To qualify, you must have applied under the:

Federal Skilled Worker Program,
Canadian Experience Class,
Federal Skilled Trades Program,
Provincial Nominee Program,
Caring for Children Class, or
Caring for People with High Medical Needs Class.
You must also:

currently be in Canada,
have valid status on a work permit that is due to expire within four months,
have applied for an open work permit, and
have paid the processing fee and the Open Work Permit Holder fee.
Note: If you applied under the Provincial Nominee Program, you must not have employment restrictions as conditions of your nomination.

So dear forum friends,
if work permit is subject to the "employment restriction " part on approval letter,who will get restriction and who will not?
Thanks for reading!
[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

87arq

Sep 13, 2015
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-07-2015
AOR Received.
12-09-2015
Med's Request
29-04-2016
Med's Done....
29-04-2016
Passport Req..
20-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
27-10-2016
LANDED..........
01-11-2016
sofie66 said:
[size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt][size=10pt]I ask this because many of my friends got
a closed work permit after PNP approval ,however I notice this situation is a bit different from what I saw on CIC website as below:

Extend your work permit – Economic class applicants
If you are currently working in Canada and you have applied for permanent residence, you may be eligible for a bridging open work permit if your work permit will expire in four months or less. This means you can keep working while we make a decision on your permanent resident application.

To qualify, you must have applied under the:

Federal Skilled Worker Program,
Canadian Experience Class,
Federal Skilled Trades Program,
Provincial Nominee Program,
Caring for Children Class, or
Caring for People with High Medical Needs Class.
You must also:

currently be in Canada,
have valid status on a work permit that is due to expire within four months,
have applied for an open work permit, and
have paid the processing fee and the Open Work Permit Holder fee.
Note: If you applied under the Provincial Nominee Program, you must not have employment restrictions as conditions of your nomination.

So dear forum friends,
if work permit is subject to the "employment restriction " part on approval letter,who will get restriction and who will not?
Thanks for reading!
[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
I think is very clear. You cannot apply if your PNP nomination was based on employment offer. That means ''employment restrictions''.

sofie66

Aug 15, 2015
87arq said:
I think is very clear. You cannot apply if your PNP nomination was based on employment offer. That means ''employment restrictions''.
Thanks for your reply.But I do know a friend who got no restrictions.
and she has post graduate work permit of 3 years.so she changes a job after she got the approval letter.

87arq

Sep 13, 2015
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Nova Scotia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-07-2015
AOR Received.
12-09-2015
Med's Request
29-04-2016
Med's Done....
29-04-2016
Passport Req..
20-10-2016
VISA ISSUED...
27-10-2016
LANDED..........
01-11-2016
sofie66 said:
and she has post graduate work permit of 3 years.so she changes a job after she got the approval letter.
as you said, she has ''post graduate work permit''. I think that's a different history.

Also , it doesnt matter if a friend has something or not. For example, IEC applicants are not entitle to bring their dependants with them. They can do it, but they wont get a work permit just cuz you got the Young professional visa. However, I know a friend whose boyfriend got a open work permit. He was lucky. Doesnt mean it will be applied to everybody.

If a pnp nomination was based on a job offer, then there is job restriction and the work permit will be restricted to that employer.

I am talking by experience. ;). I wish I didnt have that restriction on my WP.

wicaact

Apr 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CIO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
17-05-2016
sofie66 said:
Check employment restrictions on nomination certificate can give you a final answer:
No = Open work permit
Yes = Closed work permit

dkr1989

Jul 4, 2016
Hello everyone,
I have an Open Work permit which is due to expire in 4 months. I have Ontario Provincial Nomination and have applied for PNP based PR. I have Acknowledgement of Receipt IRCC for my PR application.
I need a little help regarding Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP). I tried to apply online. There I went through a questionnaire and at the end it said I can apply for work permit extension with following supporting documents.

1) Letter of Support from Province or Territory (required) (clicking on ? (help) gives "Letter from the nominating province or territory that supports the issuance of the work permit.")
2) Passport (required)
3) Proof that you Meet the Requirements of the Job Being Offered (required) (clicking on ? (help) gives "If your intended occupation in Canada is regulated, provide evidence that the responsible provincial, territorial or professional body has granted you the required license or certification.")
4) Provincial Nominee Program Certificate (PNC) (required)
5) Employer Questionnaire and Declaration (required)(clicking on ? (help) gives a link to a list of question which generates not found error)
6) Offer of Employment (required)
7) Digital photo (required)

I don't have 1st, 3rd and 5th. I can ask my employer to fill the 5th document if only I can get that Employer Questionnaire and Declaration form. Also this is not what is given on CIC website regarding BOWP eligibility parameters. Also online it says I need to pay only $155 where as I thought its $255. I am a bit confused here about what to do. Please let me know if you have any related experience. Thanks a lot for reading through my problem. Any help to clarify this situation will be much appreciated.

sofie66

Aug 15, 2015
dkr1989 said:
Hello everyone,
I have an Open Work permit which is due to expire in 4 months. I have Ontario Provincial Nomination and have applied for PNP based PR. I have Acknowledgement of Receipt IRCC for my PR application.
I need a little help regarding Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP). I tried to apply online. There I went through a questionnaire and at the end it said I can apply for work permit extension with following supporting documents.

1) Letter of Support from Province or Territory (required) (clicking on ? (help) gives "Letter from the nominating province or territory that supports the issuance of the work permit.")
2) Passport (required)
3) Proof that you Meet the Requirements of the Job Being Offered (required) (clicking on ? (help) gives "If your intended occupation in Canada is regulated, provide evidence that the responsible provincial, territorial or professional body has granted you the required license or certification.")
4) Provincial Nominee Program Certificate (PNC) (required)
5) Employer Questionnaire and Declaration (required)(clicking on ? (help) gives a link to a list of question which generates not found error)
6) Offer of Employment (required)
7) Digital photo (required)

I don't have 1st, 3rd and 5th. I can ask my employer to fill the 5th document if only I can get that Employer Questionnaire and Declaration form. Also this is not what is given on CIC website regarding BOWP eligibility parameters. Also online it says I need to pay only $155 where as I thought its $255. I am a bit confused here about what to do. Please let me know if you have any related experience. Thanks a lot for reading through my problem. Any help to clarify this situation will be much appreciated.
I am not in Ontario,But if this is the same case for me ,then I have to get a close WP.because it seems to get BWP,we need support letter from provincial immigration office.to get a support letter,provincial office require my employer to do LMIA and pay $230.
So I guess the only way is to take chance at border service.see if you meet a nice VO.

dkr1989

Jul 4, 2016
I am not in Ontario,But if this is the same case for me ,then I have to get a close WP.because it seems to get BWP,we need support letter from provincial immigration office.to get a support letter,provincial office require my employer to do LMIA and pay $230.
So I guess the only way is to take chance at border service.see if you meet a nice VO.
Thanks a lot for your reply sofie. However when I look at Ontario's web page <Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program: Nominees – What’s next> they say that "Ontario nominees are exempt from the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) process" and they also mention that "Due to Federal level changes to the issuance of temporary work permits, as of June 20th, 2015, OINP no longer has the authority to issue support letters for open work permits" and go on to provide link to cic page about <Bridging open work permits for certain federal economic class applicants>. Now on this page it is clear stated that
To be eligible for a BOWP, foreign nationals must
  • be currently in Canada;
  • have valid status on a work permit that is due to expire within the next four months;
  • be the principal applicant on an APR under the FSWC, the CEC, the FSTC, the PNC (see note below), or one of the two caregiver classes;
  • have completed one of the following APR stages:
    • their electronic application for permanent residence (e‑APR) submitted under Express Entry has passed the R10 completeness check; or
    • they have received a positive eligibility assessment on their paper APR submitted by mail under one of the economic classes above;
  • have applied for an open work permit;
  • have paid the work permit processing fee and the open work permit holder fee; and
  • have provided, as applicable, evidence (e.g., nomination certificate) that their provincial nomination is unrestricted.

I clearly meet all of these condition. However there is one catch that while going through questionnaire on CIC website if I select that I dont have a job offer (that is clearly not correct because I do) need for all these unnecessary documents disappears. So I am a bit confused about should just say I dont have job offer and then explain it in support letter?

sofie66

Aug 15, 2015
dkr1989 said:
Thanks a lot for your reply sofie. However when I look at Ontario's web page <Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program: Nominees – What’s next> they say that "Ontario nominees are exempt from the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) process" and they also mention that "Due to Federal level changes to the issuance of temporary work permits, as of June 20th, 2015, OINP no longer has the authority to issue support letters for open work permits" and go on to provide link to cic page about <Bridging open work permits for certain federal economic class applicants>. Now on this page it is clear stated that
To be eligible for a BOWP, foreign nationals must
  • be currently in Canada;
  • have valid status on a work permit that is due to expire within the next four months;
  • be the principal applicant on an APR under the FSWC, the CEC, the FSTC, the PNC (see note below), or one of the two caregiver classes;
  • have completed one of the following APR stages:
    • their electronic application for permanent residence (e‑APR) submitted under Express Entry has passed the R10 completeness check; or
    • they have received a positive eligibility assessment on their paper APR submitted by mail under one of the economic classes above;
  • have applied for an open work permit;
  • have paid the work permit processing fee and the open work permit holder fee; and
  • have provided, as applicable, evidence (e.g., nomination certificate) that their provincial nomination is unrestricted.

I clearly meet all of these condition. However there is one catch that while going through questionnaire on CIC website if I select that I dont have a job offer (that is clearly not correct because I do) need for all these unnecessary documents disappears. So I am a bit confused about should just say I dont have job offer and then explain it in support letter?
it is really difficult to communicate with CIC for us DIY applicant. I am going to get my pnp ,if no restriction ,I will take my chance at border office.because it seem ,in your online application,you still will be bound to the employer.this is not good for people who expect an open WP.

Agra

Sep 5, 2016
I have a question I got the OINP nomination certificated and also applied for PNP based PR. I cannot apply for a Post graduate work permit since I had that before. My question is how do I get a work permit then and continue working till my Permanent Residence is processed. My process takes 15 months and it's hard to stay here all the time as visitor. Is anyone in the situation as me. Thank you

Silviagono

Star Member
Mar 7, 2016
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sidney, NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
Sept. 6/16
Doc's Request.
05/02/2017
Nomination.....
26/05/2016
AOR Received.
14/12/2016
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
07-11-2017
Med's Done....
20-11-2017
Passport Req..
23-02-2018
LANDED..........
06/07/2015
Hi, In my mace, I apply through the SINP program, with job offer.. when I extend my visa, I applied to the close one, as I have an employer and my nomination was under that employer and got an open work permit valid for a year... May be as I was already nominated and the SINP sent the case to the CIC... as you have a UCI number they have all your history there...

Silvia

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
Usually its PNP categories that are "employer sponsored". PNP Restriction to employment means the nomination is tied to a job offer and you can only apply for closed WP, not the BOWP. Doesn't matter if your previous WP is open or not.

And that also means if you leave your job, or got laid off, you lose your nomination. This is hold until the moment you land as PR.

pichayab6

Apr 10, 2017
SK
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
19-08-2016
Nomination.....
04-08-2016
AOR Received.
08-12-2016
Silviagono said:
Hi, In my mace, I apply through the SINP program, with job offer.. when I extend my visa, I applied to the close one, as I have an employer and my nomination was under that employer and got an open work permit valid for a year... May be as I was already nominated and the SINP sent the case to the CIC... as you have a UCI number they have all your history there...

Silvia

Hello Silvia,

It seems that I'm in a similar situation as you were before. What kind of work permit did you have before the SINP nomination?
In my case I got a 3 year-PGOWP (valid until June 2017) then got nominated through SINP WITH an employer restriction. I have applied for a PR (paper-based) and have received my AOR in Dec 2016.
In order to receive another work permit, is a closed work permit LMIA exempt with the code T13 my only option?
It would be greatly appreciated if you, or any of you folks, would kindly give me some guidance on extending a closed-work permit; a link to the page would be sufficient. :)

choip

Mar 14, 2017
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
07-04-2017
Agra said:
I have a question I got the OINP nomination certificated and also applied for PNP based PR. I cannot apply for a Post graduate work permit since I had that before. My question is how do I get a work permit then and continue working till my Permanent Residence is processed. My process takes 15 months and it's hard to stay here all the time as visitor. Is anyone in the situation as me. Thank you
I am in a very similar situation. Have you got your PR yet?