+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ontario to Quebec driver license change with expired PR dilemma..

Michels

Nov 20, 2011
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My wife who is a PR recently moved to Quebec, she applied for the PR renewal back in April this year,till now the application is in process and we received a letter recently stating that the application passed a preliminary review and is forwarded to the client service unit for review and a delay will ensure.. the issue is not here..

the thing is that the PR cards expired beginning of the month and SAAQ in Quebec provided an appointment date only on November 24th (over a month from the day we called while she moved and the PR was still valid) , now the operator at SAAQ mentionned that the PR card needs to be valid, while I went to CIC and asked them to speed up things, they said the PR card is only needed to proof to airlines that she is a PR and that the COPR is more than enough to proof that she is a PR..

SAAQ won't replace her Ontario license to a Quebec license within the required 6 month and CIC won't speed up the process... which will force my wife not to be able drive there ... this is really an infringement of basic human rights in the Canadian constitution..

Any thoughts? or I need to fight the whole thing in court..?

Michels

Nov 20, 2011
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Driving is not if considering vs other means of transportation, but ease of moving around is.. and the best use of transport is.. if they are hampering driving they are hampering the ease of moving around and basic rights

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Michels said:
Driving is not if considering vs other means of transportation, but ease of moving around is.. and the best use of transport is.. if they are hampering driving they are hampering the ease of moving around and basic rights
You are welcome to spend money trying to move this forward on the basis of "infringement of basic human rights", I think you will be spending money with no real results.

Call your MP.

Michels

Nov 20, 2011
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well definitely won't go to court as the cards will sure come before.. however there is a hole there and I was interested to see if someone patched it previously.. it's a long shot I know :) usually I see people moving the other way from Quebec to Ontario

melo

Jul 7, 2011
the SAAq agent gave you a wrong information , you dont need your pr card to change your driving licence from ontario to quebec , you only need your COPR to proove that you are a PR.
PR card is only needed to take commercial flight .