+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ontario OHIP eligability: Open Work Permit Employment Letter Guidelines

oribus

Jun 23, 2018
Hi everyone,

I am on an Open (post-graduate) Work Permit (PGWP) and just got approved for OHIP based on my current employment. One of the things I found frustrating was the lack of clarity around the requirements for the Employment Letter. I wanted to provide a summary of the current (as of June 2018) requirements.

Upon arrival, the agent went item-by-item through a checklist, verifying that my letter met all of the requirements. I wanted to share this document with others that might be going through this process so they can request a letter that meets these exact requirements.

ServiceOntario Open Work Permit Employment Letter Guidelines

The letter must be:
  • On the employer's company letterhead
  • Signed and dated by the employer in pen ["in pen" is strictly enforced; they did not accept my first letter that was digitally signed and then printed on company letterhead]
The letter must state:
  • That the employee is working full-time
  • The title/occupation of the position
  • That the employee will be working for the company within Ontario (the company does not have to be located in Ontario. The letter may have the address or city where the employee will be working in Ontario)
  • The start date of employment
  • That the employer intends to employ the employee for a minimum of six (6) months
The letter should not be:
  • An employment acceptance or offer letter
  • A photocopy, scan, email or fax

Good luck!

Jun 25, 2018
This is the guideline for OWP or OHIP?

Employment letter has to be original? My manager sent me the letter by email several months ago. I was thinking if I could use that to apply for OHIP

oribus

Jun 23, 2018
This is the guideline for OWP or OHIP?

Employment letter has to be original? My manager sent me the letter by email several months ago. I was thinking if I could use that to apply for OHIP
This is the guideline for applying for OHIP, for individuals present in Canada on an OWP.

For me, they enforced the requirement that the signature be in ink. I printed off an electronic letter, but then needed to get it signed in pen.

pavanvulli

Star Member
May 11, 2018
Hi everyone,

I am on an Open (post-graduate) Work Permit (PGWP) and just got approved for OHIP based on my current employment. One of the things I found frustrating was the lack of clarity around the requirements for the Employment Letter. I wanted to provide a summary of the current (as of June 2018) requirements.

Upon arrival, the agent went item-by-item through a checklist, verifying that my letter met all of the requirements. I wanted to share this document with others that might be going through this process so they can request a letter that meets these exact requirements.

ServiceOntario Open Work Permit Employment Letter Guidelines

The letter must be:
  • On the employer's company letterhead
  • Signed and dated by the employer in pen ["in pen" is strictly enforced; they did not accept my first letter that was digitally signed and then printed on company letterhead]
The letter must state:
  • That the employee is working full-time
  • The title/occupation of the position
  • That the employee will be working for the company within Ontario (the company does not have to be located in Ontario. The letter may have the address or city where the employee will be working in Ontario)
  • The start date of employment
  • That the employer intends to employ the employee for a minimum of six (6) months
The letter should not be:
  • An employment acceptance or offer letter
  • A photocopy, scan, email or fax

Good luck!
Hi I just came to know that I qualify for OHIP, it has been 101 days since i was granted the work permit but its been 45 days since I got the full time job. Was wondering if I missed the deadline for applying for OHIP, since online it says one needs to apply within 90 days of receiving the OWP.

oribus

Jun 23, 2018
Hi I just came to know that I qualify for OHIP, it has been 101 days since i was granted the work permit but its been 45 days since I got the full time job. Was wondering if I missed the deadline for applying for OHIP, since online it says one needs to apply within 90 days of receiving the OWP.
Interesting, I haven't read that it needs to be within 90 days of receiving the OWP. I had been on an OWP for over a year before applying for OHIP and did not have a problem.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Interesting, I haven't read that it needs to be within 90 days of receiving the OWP. I had been on an OWP for over a year before applying for OHIP and did not have a problem.
You are still in the 3 month wait period since the start of your job. Go to service Ontario with the letter from your employer (follow exact instructions above) and your 3 month wait period will be started based on your first day of work.

kprs_ind

Apr 17, 2013
Chennai
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-08-2013
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
06-10-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
10-03-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2014
LANDED..........
29-07-2014
You are still in the 3 month wait period since the start of your job. Go to service Ontario with the letter from your employer (follow exact instructions above) and your 3 month wait period will be started based on your first day of work.
You have to insure yourself for the first 3 months.

bebo-18

Mar 14, 2018
What if you are looking to be self-employed? How does the requirement for the employment letter work then?

kprs_ind

Apr 17, 2013
Chennai
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-08-2013
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
06-10-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
10-03-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2014
LANDED..........
29-07-2014
What if you are looking to be self-employed? How does the requirement for the employment letter work then?
When you say self-employed, what kind of job are you talking about?

sam06

Aug 7, 2017
hey guys. So I have been working on PGWP for past 3 months. Does it mean I can apply for OHIP or do I have to be working for 6 months?
thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
hey guys. So I have been working on PGWP for past 3 months. Does it mean I can apply for OHIP or do I have to be working for 6 months?
thanks
You have to have proof that your job lasts for over 6 months. There is a post that details the requirements for your employment letter for ohip. Use the search function to find it.

siham44

Star Member
Jun 29, 2017
Hello, i have a question please. i hold a pgqw that will expire on august 2020 and so my OHIP card, i am thinking of changing my job as i have some problems. do i need to change my healthcard as well or can i continue to using it until the expiry date ?Thank s a lot