+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Online Poker Player From USA Currently in Canada Questions

pauly2

Jan 20, 2014
I play online poker as my income. Im from the usa. I relocated to montreal back in september and got a furnished apartment here. I flew into toronto airport and then i was asked the purpose of my trip and i mentioned i play online poker as my job. They then asked me few questions such as why cant i do that in usa and i told them b/c usa government banned the sites. I also provided them with my bank statement which show i have enough money to stay in canada and when they saw this, they said im fine and let me in canada with no problem. They ask me how long i would be staying here for and i said between 3 and 6 month max b/c i know 6 month is the longest i can stay in canada and then my passport got stamped 6 months from that day i arrived. I then took the connecting flight from toronto to montreal with no issue.

Im about 40 days or so away from the date that is stamped on my passport. I know i have to leave by that date otherwise i would have lot of problems such as i read online if you dont leave by that date, you can get arrested by canadian police or if you go back to the usa border will make lot of problems for you on why you didn't leave by that certain date.

The thing is i want to stay in canada a bit longer. I read from other poker players that they requested an extension and got this. Can someone explain this process? I also read if you want to extend your time in canada, you have to do this at least 1 month in advance and pay a 75 dollar fee and then then wait to see if you are rejected or accepted? Does anyone know how they determine this and if so how long is this extension? The thing is i want to stay longer sat at least 2-3 months more and i know i have to do something like this if i want to?

The other thing is this. Some other poker player metnioned to me in a forum that canada isn't strict about that 6 month in 1 year period. Im curious but i heard lot of different stuff but is it 6 month in one calendar year or is it once you stay 6 month, you can't come back for anotehr 6 month? The thing is that guy i spoke to, he told me he has stayed in canada for like 5-6 months, then he leaves for 1 week or maybe 2 weeks and come into canada again and does another 5 months and then sort of rinse and repeat. But he said to not make it obvious like dont leave after 6 months, and come back the next day or following day. He said he had no issues at all doing this.

The thing is i dont mind leaving montreal, canada for liek a week or so and then come back and get another 6 month. I would prefer it this way as oppose to the extension as it seem like im close to that 30 day time for filing an extension and won't know if i would get it before that date. So can someone tell me if this would be allowed? Leave canada for few days or 1 week then fly back in and then get another 6 month?

The last thing i want of course is to get banned from canada. I will be flying in flying out everytime.

I also want to mention that i didn't get any visitor pass or anything like that.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Extend your stay in Canada:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

pauly2

Jan 20, 2014
Hi. But is it possible for me to leave canada say for 1 week or 2 or maybe 1 month and then come back and get another 6 months? Because i do plan to go back to the usa and stay there for 2 week to maybe 1 month.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can certainly try. No guarantee you will be allowed back in or for how long.

pauly2

Jan 20, 2014
Okay i got another question. If i do apply for extended stay, how long do i get it for? So for example say i have to leave canada by march 1 on my passport because thats what they stamped... how long more do i get? Also what about this? Say i request for extended stay but i still plan on leaving canada by march 1 and come back sometimes in few weeks or early april. Would that mean that i would be able to get in no problem b/c i have an extension?

Then again... if i do plan 100 percent to leave canada by march 1 and then come back later... is it a waste of time to do the extension since im basically saying im leaving canada by the 6 month date... the only thing is im coming back within a month so the extension would or wouldn't do anything thus serve a purpose?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
pauly2 said:
Can anyone answer these questions?
The extension is invalidated as soon as you leave Canada. So if you leave Canada on March 1st, when you re-enter you will be re-entering as a brand new visitor and will have to pass through immigration again. The extension will have no role in your re-entry since it will already have been invalidated by you leaving.