+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Online Oath Master Thread

thesonicbro

Jul 24, 2016
Hi guys!

An update on my file that might be helpful for those who have an emergency situation similar to mine, and how my file turned into urgent processing, as well as steps taken to expedite my certificate and passport.

Background:
I have a medical complication that requires me to travel out of Canada to receive the necessary care. I had my citizenship test on 11th March, and got a call for an interview few days later which was set for 26th March. Got DM on 27th March and then silence. My health turned for the worse as I waited, and I was debating whether to email my interview officer about my condition since I had all my medical records in hand. I was afraid though if it backfired and my oath got further delayed or if I would be asked to reschedule the Oath for a few months later, that would be like waiting this whole time for nothing; I wanted to ensure I complete the process before I go. With this confusion I turned to the forum; I messaged on this group where very helpful members @adey786 @icykool23 and @BadGamer6 offered me different suggestions and outlooks on what could potentially happen if I did email my interview officer.. I decided to go for it and emailed my officer 26 days after my DM.

Oath:
I emailed my interview officer about my situation in detail, outlining my medical issues and due to Covid Restrictions, clinics and ER weren't able to monitor me regularly. I attached all my documentation and requested if, in anyway, an early Oath date was possible. Hit send. That wait felt like an eternity to me.
In a couple of hours my officer replied back, very kindly, and informed me that my oath was scheduled for 2 weeks away, was that fine with me? I requested again, if an earlier date is possible. He said he would speak to the concerned teams and get back to me. In an hour he emailed again that I should watch out for an email or a call for the next oath date, when its available, and it should be sooner than 2 weeks. I got an email the next day for Oath on the 29th of April instead of the originally scheduled 10th of May.
I feel that we often judge officers at IRCC and that they might be highly opinionated or lazy in processing, while in this case, my interview officer was nothing but kind and helpful throughout.

Citizenship Certificate:
And so came the Oath date, where I was sworn in. At the end, I had another officer signing me off, who informed me that my certificate would take 6 to 8 weeks, the standard mailing time. Again, I informed her of my medical condition and that I could email her my medical records. She was super nice and told me that wasn't necessary, and she will make sure she mails it out as early as possible, and I should keep a lookout for it in 3 to 4 days.
Again, my experience with another kind officer, who assisted me and ensured I got the help I needed. My certificate arrived on the 4th of May, 5 days after my Oath.

Urgent Passport Process:
To ensure my passport was issued on time, I researched on getting an appointment with Service Canada well before. You submit a webform and request urgent processing, along with your reason for travel, but most importantly, that you have already booked your flight and have your travel itinerary ready. After sending the webform, I got a call within a day and a half, where my in-person appointment was scheduled within 5 minutes. I made sure to take the appointment for Thursday (the 6th of May), giving time for my certificate to arrive (it came on Tuesday the 4th of May).
I again got a call from Service Canada, and they outlined all the documents required for the application and to bring along a printed travel itinerary which is necessary for urgent processing.

I finally went in today to apply for my passport, the process took 20 minutes. My certificate was verified on the spot and returned to me, and I was asked to collect my passport on Monday the 10th.

I am solely sharing my story for the following reasons:
1. Those of you who have a medical complication or a family tragedy, or any reason that requires utmost urgency for your application, do not hesitate to reach out for help to your interview/oath officers (but please have proof ready!). They may be able to help you out. If not, you would be asked to wait which you are doing now anyway. I have also outlined my passport process for those who require it urgently.

2. Don't judge all IRCC officers based on what is going on with all the delayed applications. I know and understand the frustration, and I feel due to bureaucratic reasons, lack of capacity, overworked officers and COVID 19 applications are furiously delayed. However, this does not necessarily mean officers are lazy or are taking their sweet time; I have read some posts on how officers email you at night, or on weekends. My DM was processed on a weekend too.

3. At the end of the day, I immigrated from a country where I resided for 25 years, was loyal, paid government fees and taxes, spent my whole childhood there, and felt that was my home, but I was never accepted as a citizen, despite loving that country so much. It was painful, but it made me realize that Canada granting me citizenship is a huge privilege for me, as it is for alot of us who have immigrated to Canada for many reasons. Please be mindful of that.

I hope this has been helpful. Good luck to all of you on your journey. It will end, trust me.

Here is my timeline:
Application Received: 17th December 2019 Single Applicant
AOR: 19th February 2020
Processing: 3rd March 2020
Test Date: 11th March 2021
Interview Date: 26th March 2021
DM: 27th March 2021
Oath Ceremony: 29th April 2021 (Urgent Processing due to Medical Emergency)
Certificate Received: 4th May 2021
Passport to be issued: 10th May 2021
Thank you for sharing your experience and wish you success in your health journey

Reactions: nicolass and SSA36

SSA36

Apr 2, 2021
Awe
Feel so happy for you, your journey to your citizenship has come to an end
IRCC has compassion and consideration
I remember when i had to ask them to for my PR journey(had to send travel tickets and medical records for proof )
and All i can say is they are Good
Praying for you feeling better
Keep safe.
Thank you so much. Agreed, huge respect for those working hard to help us become citizens!

Reactions: Vanecenz588

mianks

Sep 5, 2019
Hello Everyone.
Tomorrow is my online oath from Scarabrough Office.

I want to know that after how many days, I'll get the citizenship document so that I can apply for Canadian Passport.

The email, I got about Online Oath, its mentioned in it that it will take 2-4 weeks.

Is there any possibility, I can get the document earlier, as I'm planning to travel.

Ahmed15

Jul 7, 2015
Canada
Hello Everyone.

I want to know that after how many days, I'll get the citizenship document so that I can apply for Canadian Passport.

The email, I got about Online Oath, its mentioned in it that it will take 2-4 weeks.

Is there any possibility, I can get the document earlier, as I'm planning to travel.
People are getting it in days or one week. So you will get yours pretty soon.

Btw, whats your timeline, if you don;t mind sharing please :)

Reactions: mianks

mianks

Sep 5, 2019
  1. I sent my application in last week of Dec 2018
  2. We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on February 26, 2019.
  3. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on April 17, 2019.
  4. We started processing your application on June 3, 2019.
  5. Test done. April 2021
  6. Oath - Last week of May 2021

MericaEh

May 19, 2021
  1. I sent my application in last week of Dec 2018
  2. We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on February 26, 2019.
  3. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on April 17, 2019.
  4. We started processing your application on June 3, 2019.
  5. Test done. April 2021
  6. Oath - Last week of May 2021
That's a long wait! Happy to see your citizenship journey is almost over. Wishing you all the best.

BadGamer6

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2019
Toronto
Hello Everyone.

Talk to your processing agent at the end of the ceremony, that's what I did. I told her I needed for school reasons, and she got it expedited and sent to me via Purolator Express and I received in barely 2 days after the ceremony. If you have a reason let them know and they will accommodate! Mine's Scarborough office as well for your reference.

ZZDown

Sep 6, 2017
Folks, can you help me understand what time you had on your oath invitation, was it a UTC time, or your local time or something else?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
I am a bit concerned because I've changed my location and if they do not specify the time zone, it can be confusing.
I got my invite from a citizenship officer’s individual work email. If you don’t want to assume, I don’t think it would hurt at all to ask over email to clarify.

vinayreddy

Star Member
Nov 10, 2019
Congratulations to all who completed Oath.

I have my oath scheduled for June 23rd , wondering what documents i need to show for Oath?

Reactions: Goran1989

thesonicbro

Jul 24, 2016
Congratulations to all who completed Oath.

I have my oath scheduled for June 23rd , wondering what documents i need to show for Oath?
They should have listed the documents you need to present on the oath day including PR and a pair of scissors to cut PR towards the end of the event.